Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
E-Trac big coil suggestion
Posted by: WV62
Date: January 31, 2019 09:49AM
I am starting to think I need a larger coil than the stock 11" for deep coins.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good big coil for deep coins?

Here is one that came to mine, the Ultimate 13" good or bad choice?

I was hunting in the woods a few days back with the little 8x6 and pulled out a Barber quarter at 9". I think I was pushing that little coil to just about it's limit.

No hunting today it was 2 degrees when I got up.

Thanks

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Re: E-Trac big coil suggestion
Posted by: oneguy
Date: January 31, 2019 10:22AM
Ultimate 13 is a NICE coil to have in your arsenal. Nice and light weight. I rarely use mine but nice to have when needed. Haven't noticed any real depth increase over the stock Pro...???

Minelab Gold Monster 1000
E-Trac (13" Ultimate, 6" EQ2, NEL ss, Pro, X-1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 10:24AM by oneguy.

Date: January 31, 2019 11:26AM
Thanks, any chance I could talk you into air testing a silver dime in front of that coil with with the manual sensitivity set at 27 and give me that number. If like you said there is not much depth gain over the stock 11" coil, I don't think that would be one that interest me.

Ron in WV

Date: January 31, 2019 05:47PM
Lets see if any others agree on the depth issue for a bit? My stuff is all put away for winter right now but I'll do it if we don't get any noticeable response/opinions on the depth thing? I noticed no real depth increase but I also usually hunt in auto+3. I also usually only use the Ultimate for covering relatively clean ground? Usually trashy parks a guy ends up with multiple targets under the 13" so you've got those issues to deal with. With that said tho….I'd likely not part with the Ultimate. Lets see what others think...…??

Date: January 31, 2019 09:18PM
Thanks oneguy, but it's not worth digging all your stuff out for a 5 minute air test. Maybe somebody else will still have their equipment out and ready to go. We are still hunting down here in WV on the good weather days.

I went on line looking at some videos this evening but nothing was found past 7 to 8".

You take care,

Ron in WV

Date: January 31, 2019 09:53PM
air tests aren't to reliable anyways? One thing I did remember about the 13" is I dug a couple paper thin barber dimes deep (9-10" is deep for me on dimes) and both were very much on end. I kinda raised an eyebrow and wondered if the Ultimate helped get those?

JMO.... But I think between the Pro coil and a 6" eq2.... you've got most of the bases pretty well covered...……… Kinda surprised no other opinions on the Ultimate? Had the WOT and it does go a bit deeper but it's a heavy sob so I traded it off.....

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 01, 2019 06:41AM
Another viable option is the Sunray x-12....works very well,I’ve used it a lot on my Explorer and found a lot of things worth finding at good depth even in semi-Auto. But I now have the Ultimate for it. There’s others as well such as the 10x12 SEF and larger SEF coils up to like 18x21....if you want to “go there”....

Posted by: hershey1
Date: February 01, 2019 03:24PM
The WOT works very well for me on the beach and civil war relics. Ultimate 13" is also very usefull. But remember more trash comes with the large coils but both get down there.The stock coil will serve you well unless you have some areas you think may hold deeper targets. Most of my beach hunting is with my Excall or CTX but I really like the E-Trac in certain places. The Sunray X 12 is a very good coil to have if you want 1 larger coil that will get you the extra depth. That is the one I would go with if I were thinking about 1 coil. This is my best advice on larger coils unless your arms are like Popeyes.. Good Luck and HH:detecting:

Posted by: jd88047
Date: February 09, 2019 08:38PM
Definitely feel clean ground is for big coils. I bought a big 15x18 coil and it rocks. But never considered depth. I mainly run the small round coiltec which covers dirty ground. Setting the etrac to a slight hum works for me. I really dont like discrimination and run wide open as I can. But looking for gold rings I would just make a program for your area. Depth depends on a lot of factors which Andy S. already wrote.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login