Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
First Hole Big Silver...That Was Way Too Easy!
Posted by: Sooper Dave
Date: February 17, 2019 09:02PM
I have mainly focused on researching and hunting for Civil War relics over the last year or so and I've had pretty good luck doing that. This past week I've had the itch to get on an old school hunt for coins, so I flipped back through my notes and decided to make the drive out to an old school I've been wanting to try. On the way down I was going through my head of whether this place has been cleaned out but dreaming of big silver and just hoping I would luck up on a Merc at least. This place has a big field behind it that looks perfect for kids to play and tumble and lose their old coins. As soon as I get there I geared up and headed to the field, I made about three swings with the Etrac when I got a decent signal. I think the numbers were around a 12-46 12-47 and was showing it to be shallow. I cut the plug and my pinpointer was telling me it was still in the plug. So I go busting up the clod and out pops Big Silver! I just sat in disbelief and laughed about how crazy it is that I had a Walker within 30 seconds of turning on my machine. I took some pics, fill the hole, stand up and get another high tone 4" over and pull out a Rosie. I am now thinking I'm on untouched ground and start to slowly grid the area when I get another great signal and it's a 64 Washington. I now start to think I'm going to dig a dozen silver coins out of this field but my luck was not going to be that good as I hunted for two hours without anything else. It was well worth the drive and I was happy that I was lucky enough to scratch my silver itch in between all this rain we are getting. The group picture includes some Civil War lead, an Indian Head and a Rosie I dug last weekend. It has been another mild winter here and the Buttercups are even blooming now about a month early. I'm sure we will get rocked with some winter weather before Spring gets here. HH-David

Re: First Hole Big Silver...That Was Way Too Easy!
Posted by: roadapple
Date: February 18, 2019 12:39AM
someone is having a great winter ! Nice finds!!

Posted by: sunraysux
Date: February 18, 2019 12:08PM
geeeez..........i am entirely jealous...and happy for you!
guess the school has not been pounded....or hunted by anyone with a clue
to find a shallow walker like that...yikes!!
Helen Keller would have "seen" that one if it was just 3 inches down.......well done

Posted by: utmike
Date: February 18, 2019 12:36PM
Nicely done Dave! Buried and frozen in my area so it's nice to see some Etrac finds out there. I've been really lucky over the years with old silver but for some reason, the Walker and big Barber have eluded me.

Posted by: floodplaindetector
Date: February 18, 2019 05:03PM
SD,
Very nice finds and great pictures as usual.
I have digging envy :cry:
Thought I would upload a pic for you of what it looks like up north.

Dave

Posted by: cz70pro
Date: February 18, 2019 08:36PM
Well, that just sucks. You have my profound sympathies Dave.

:surprised:

floodplaindetector
SD,

Dave

Posted by: cz70pro
Date: February 18, 2019 08:38PM
Way to go Dave! Huge congrats on getting that nice Walker. Those coins were just waiting on you to finally get there and find them. Been ages since I got a Walker. I'm ready for one. ATB Greg

Date: February 18, 2019 09:26PM
roadapple
someone is having a great winter ! Nice finds!!

Thanks man! It's always great to do a little digging this time of year.

Date: February 18, 2019 09:28PM
sunraysux
geeeez..........i am entirely jealous...and happy for you!
guess the school has not been pounded....or hunted by anyone with a clue
to find a shallow walker like that...yikes!!
Helen Keller would have "seen" that one if it was just 3 inches down.......well done

Ha! Yeah I guess they missed this spot and I'm glad they did!

Date: February 18, 2019 09:30PM
utmike
Nicely done Dave! Buried and frozen in my area so it's nice to see some Etrac finds out there. I've been really lucky over the years with old silver but for some reason, the Walker and big Barber have eluded me.

Thanks Mike! I hope spring thaw comes soon for you so you can get out there and dig your first Barber and Walker Half!

Date: February 18, 2019 09:33PM
floodplaindetector
SD,

Dave

Thanks Dave! The snow is pretty and all but you can keep it! I would go stir crazy if I had to deal with those winters! Man I hope y'all get an early thaw.

Date: February 18, 2019 09:39PM
cz70pro
Way to go Dave! Huge congrats on getting that nice Walker. Those coins were just waiting on you to finally get there and find them. Been ages since I got a Walker. I'm ready for one. ATB Greg

Thanks Greg and yeah the Big silver doesn't come up that often and is always a thrill but I would trade a few to get the chance at a $2.5 gold coin/seated quarter spill! Still can't get over you digging that! You should post it here so the other guys can see there's still amazing stuff still out there to be found. Congrats again to you! I shared the video with with a few of my detecting buddies and you should have picked up a few more subs. Keep it up, look forward to what you dig up next!

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 18, 2019 09:48PM
That’s a crazy way to get going there Dave! Silver just never gets old,and BIG silver never EVER gets old!:smile: There will ALWAYS be a place for FBS technology,no matter how deep or big or small or masked...if a guy knows how to be patient and what the machine is saying,it’s gonna be a LONG time before it is truly eclipsed by something else. Even though my 800 arrives tomorrow,I simply bought it for some light jewelry hunting and bopping around...but if I’m seriously going silver hunting,I take the Explorer or the CTX.
Yes,I’m snowed in and living vicariously through anyone else who CAN hunt right now!! Keep it rolling!

Posted by: E-Trac-Ohio
Date: February 19, 2019 05:24AM
Congrats on a great bunch of finds Dave !

XP Deus * 9" LF Coil * Deteknix Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Date: February 19, 2019 08:27AM
IDXMonster
That’s a crazy way to get going there Dave! Silver just never gets old,and BIG silver never EVER gets old!:smile: There will ALWAYS be a place for FBS technology,no matter how deep or big or small or masked...if a guy knows how to be patient and what the machine is saying,it’s gonna be a LONG time before it is truly eclipsed by something else. Even though my 800 arrives tomorrow,I simply bought it for some light jewelry hunting and bopping around...but if I’m seriously going silver hunting,I take the Explorer or the CTX.
Yes,I’m snowed in and living vicariously through anyone else who CAN hunt right now!! Keep it rolling!

Thanks! You may just fall in love with the NOX. I picked up the 600 a few months ago but I haven't used it enough to gel with it like the Etrac. I know I've seen a lot of post on how excellent of a machine that they are. It's hard for me to change up what I know works and the little time I have to be out in the field I want it to be spent on digging relics and not learning a new machine. I hope the thaw comes soon for you so you can get out. Good luck to you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login