Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Ok, I need some TDI classroom training........
Posted by: padiggin
Date: January 27, 2018 07:32PM
I'm new to the TDI, and today was the first decent weather day that I was able to get outside and test it out for a bit. So I chose to go back to an old homestead that I've been detecting with my MXT over the past year, made some great finds with the MXT there, old coins, sleigh bell, buttons, etc. I set my TDI SL up according to the coin hunting set up described in the field manual, GB on 2-3, conductivity HIGH, pulse setting 10, threshold slight hum, frequency 12 o'clock. I also used the 7" DF search coil. I spent about 3 hours detecting with it, and found nothing but NAILS. Now, I thought I had it set up properly in which it would ignore 90% of the junk and nails. But for some reason, no matter how much I played with the pulse setting, and the GB, it seems those nails continually gave me a nice "low" sound (like it would on a penny or quarter). I'm wondering.....did I have the settings correct, and there were just no coins around to be found and all that's left is nails.......OR, did I not set up the detector properly and screw up the settings.

Now, I watched a lot of videos on YouTube while the weather was crappy the last few weeks in an attempt to learn a little bit on how the TDI works. I know and understand it is different than my MXT. However the TDI seems simple enough. The other point I want to bring up is that those nails I found, I brought back home to test with my other iron objects along with the good stuff I'm looking to find. I found that those same nails (with the same settings I used at the homestead) did NOT give me that nice "low" sound like you hear for coins. So now I'm really wondering, do nails in soil give a completely different response on the TDI than nails laying on top of the ground?? I'm assuming "yes." But I really don't know because I haven't spend that much time with the TDI. Is there a way to completely ignore those nails in the soil, and only key in on copper and silver?? I figure there are more experience folks here that can help me out a bit with this. Thank so much for any assistance!
Don

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Re: Ok, I need some TDI classroom training........
Posted by: Mega
Date: January 28, 2018 04:32AM
If the MXT was finding you some decent finds then that would still be the option that i would carry on using,i am aware that TDI machines can be used on sites like tots lots and those busy sites and its great seeing these videos on YouTube showing how it can be done and what settings these folks use,but this is just my personal opinion a TDI Pro and its variations are not the best tool for the job.

Its best to use a VLF for most detecting scenarios but when a VLF wont work then bring out the TDI,i always carry my TDI Pro with me when i go on my permissions here in the UK,when using a small coil and low conductivity it does work well on detecting our silver hammered coins and roman at depth and also eliminate some iron,but i much prefer using a VLF machine for trashy roman sites.

Cannot see the fun of using a Pulse on sites like your old homesteads and getting frustrated bu using a machine that is not really suited for the job,stick a smallish coil on the MXT and bang your find will go up again and reduce the iron problem nearly down to zero and bring the enjoyment back into your detecting.

Use the MXT for trashy sites and use the TDI for open clear sites or when the ground has a high mineral content,those are the scenarios that best suit these 2 machines,of cours this is just my opinion on my sites.

Every hole is like a scratch card. Usually it’s nothing. Sometimes you win a prize.

Quaerite et invenietis !!

Posted by: Reg
Date: January 28, 2018 09:18AM
There are a couple of reasons for your results. First, where is your delay set? It should be set at minimum of 10usec. Advance your delay and things change. The farther you advance the delay, the lower you will have to set the GB to reject iron. You can go too far and not be able to reject iron.

Second, make sure the signal you hear is a true target signal and not an overload response. Iron objects produce a dramatically stronger signal than a coin, so the iron object may simply be causing an overload response if too close to the coil. To check this simply raise the coil 3 inches or so and check again.

A simple way to set the iron rejection is to carry a screwdriver with a blade 4 to 6 inches long and wave it about 3 to 4 inches above the coil as you begin to reduce the GB. The screwdriver blade signal should begin to disappear around a GB of 5 or so and be gone by a setting of 4.

Try these suggestions and let us know what you find.

Reg

Date: January 28, 2018 12:26PM
Hi Mega,

Here in the US we hunt in the high conductor mode for silver and copper coins. As for me, I have hunted areas with my TDI where the trash is more common than pebbles with some success. One good example is the Ghost Town of Octave AZ. There the tin cans are so abundant you can walk hundreds of yards and never touch dirt simply by stepping or jumping from can to can. I just wish I had taken pictures of the area.

I ended up finding lots of copper items, some junk jewelry and one lone 1903 Barber dime while digging almost no junk.

A buddy and I hunted the same area with TDI's in low conductor mode looking for small nuggets and again dug little iron trash. The trick is to know the machine.

Reg

Reg, here are the settings I used.....
Date: January 28, 2018 12:31PM
Pulse delay was at 10, GB between 2-3, Sensitivity 7-9, threshold slight hum, frequency 12:00, conductivity HIGH. I believe what you mentioned about the signal being an overload is probably what was happening to me. As I mentioned, I'm new to the TDI, and I set it up according to the field manual guide for coin hunting. But not being familiar with the sounds, I was probably interpreting the overload on those nails as a good signal. I was really taking my time, moving the coil very slowly, and hoping to hit some coins that were possibly deeper than what I've found in the past there with my MXT. But, it may be that most of the coins just are not that deep in the ground and the MXT would be the better option for that specific location. I was just trying to get a feel for the TDI, being a new user, trying to learn it's "speak" so to say. Thanks for your tips, I'll be sure to try that one out!
Thanks,
Don

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Date: January 28, 2018 12:40PM
Hi Mega - thanks for the response. I would just use my MXT there, and have, with the 5.37 eclipse coil, with great success. However, I was just trying out my new TDI SL, trying to learn it's "Speak", and trying to get familiar with how the TDI works. That was the reason why I chose to bring it to that location, plus, since I've had success there with the MXT, I was hoping to have some success with the TDI as well. I was just a bit disappointed when all I got was nails and I thought I had the machine set up to ignore iron and focus on the "HIGH" conductivity targets like coins. And like Reg said, I'm thinking now after reading his response that I may have just been receiving an overload signal on those nails, most of them were not that deep. The coins I found with my MXT there were not that deep (1809 liberty cent, 1841 liberty cent, and 1849 liberty cent). These were all found within 5 inches with the MXT. So maybe the stuff at this location just is not that deep in the ground and the TDI SL is just overloading on these signals there. I would have thought with the set up I had (GB 2-3, PD 10, sensitivity 7-9, freq 12:00, threshold slight hum, conductivity HIGH), I would have thought that would have ignored the nails. But it didn't. Until I brought them home with me and tested them out on the ground........then the TDI ignored them. In the ground they gave me a good "low" tone, like a coin would. Out of the ground, the TDI ignored them. So, I'm just trying to figure this machine out and get to know it like Reg says.
Thanks,
Don

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Reg, with that setting you mentioned.......
Date: January 28, 2018 12:50PM
using the screwdriver, I guess my question is this: if you can make that 4-6 inch screwdriver disappear from giving a signal, why would the iron nails in the ground give a signal? Would that tip you gave also completely ignore those nails in the ground as well? I played around with the PD going from 10, to 15, to 17, to 20......and also moving the GB around as well, from higher to lower. It seemed no matter where I placed the settings those stupid nails just would not disappear, they kept responding with a "low" tone that coins give when I tested it out at home.

I brought the nails home with me, then I tested them out on the ground, next to some coins. The coins gave me that "low" tone, the nails then at home did not respond. I guess that's what confuses me the most, the nails gave me a signal in the ground, at the site, clear as day. Then at home, they didn't, with the same settings.

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Reg, did your TDI signal on those....
Date: January 28, 2018 12:59PM
...tin cans you were walking around? Or were you able to "discriminate" them out with your settings? For that ghost town, what settings were you using to navigate through all that junk? I honestly don't think the TDI is that complicated of a machine, it seems once you understand how the settings affect it, it would be easy to use. But as I said, I very new to it. Just bought my TDI SL this January. I've been a long time MXT user, but I want to use the TDI at the DIV events in Virginia that I'm going to. So that's why I want to learn this machine.
Thanks!
Don

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: January 29, 2018 02:05AM
Why not bring both detectors. When you find a good target with the mxt mark it and check it out with the tdi.
No way to get a double beep or crappy signal from a nail with the tdi all metal ?

Re: Reg, with that setting you mentioned.......
Date: January 29, 2018 08:34AM
"using the screwdriver, I guess my question is this: if you can make that 4-6 inch screwdriver disappear from giving a signal, why would the iron nails in the ground give a signal?"

Answer: Normally a nail will not violate the change in signal without help.By this I mean, there is probably a lot of other iron junk at the same location that isn't heard. Sometimes it may take raising the coil 6" or more for a piece of iron junk to be rejected. An iron junk piece may give a strong signal for a distance and then abruptly disappear. A coin normally will not do that. Instead, a coin signal will simply begin as a smooth signal and fade away as the coil distance from it increases. Again, a coin signal will normally begin as a smooth response and remain that way providing it isn't on the surface and too close to the coil. Iron junk can create a stutter with abrupt changes.

Quit worrying about what you think caused the nails to not be rejected and begin to think when hunting. Learn to use common sense and try different things. If you just want to beep and dig, then use a VLF,beep and dig, and miss a bunch of really good stuff. If you want to stay with the SL then try to forget what you know from using the VLF and learn what the PI is telling you and not what you think it is saying. Learn the ideal sweep speed. Going too slow is just as bad as going too fast.

Lose the beep and dig mentality and THINK!!!!!!! Buried coins will not give a double blip but a nail will. Unfortunately, two coins will give a double blip if positioned in the ground just right.

You asked if I could tell a can as trash. The answer is yes. Signal size and shape, smooth or stuttering, are just a couple of ways. Don't forget to use your eyes either. If you see an old tin can, trust me, it is junk.

There is a reason for every signal and right now, you will most likely pick the wrong reason for them just like what you are doing with the nails. It takes time, practice and patience to learn the SL and begin to get things right. You will be happy if you stay with it. Don't expect overnight knowledge. It will take weeks to months to begin to get it right.

Reg

Okay, I figured you would have the best tips......
Date: January 29, 2018 10:56AM
...on using this machine, and since this is the "TDI Classroom" forum, I figured I could get the best tips from the pros here. As I said, I'm new to the TDI, not detecting. I'm attempting to learn it with the limited time I have in my weeks to play around with it, so while I understand it will take time, I'm looking for tips that can possibly cut down a little bit of time with the learning curve. Just like any detector out there, there are tips and tricks of the trade from those that know the machines well and while I fully understand that's not a "cure all" for really knowing the machine, it can help me with knowing I wasn't really doing anything wrong with the set up, which is what I was really looking to find out. I believe you answered my question on that, so thank you. I do appreciate your response.
Don

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

That's a good idea and.......
Date: January 29, 2018 11:01AM
.....I plan on doing that at the DIV event I'm attending in March. I'll have someone along with me that will have an MXT with them, so between the two of us we should be able to get a good handle on the TDI responses.

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Posted by: pasttom
Date: January 31, 2018 11:33AM
Thanks guys for a very good thread!

Pastor Tom
An E 800 and several obsolete units
Excavations by my Corgi, Sadie

Re: That's a good idea and.......
Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: January 31, 2018 04:15PM
padiggin
.....I plan on doing that at the DIV event I'm attending in March. I'll have someone along with me that will have an MXT with them, so between the two of us we should be able to get a good handle on the TDI responses.

Will be waiting for comparison between MXT and TDI----Depth etc. Thanks

Thanks for everyone's replies, I think I'm finally......
Date: February 02, 2018 05:57PM
......getting a little better understanding the subtle sounds the TDI responds with. The main problem I have is the weather is so crappy here in Pennsylvania right now, I can't get out most days. It's in the 20's today with a 25 mph wind today, I'm not going out in that. So I'm stuck inside doing air tests with iron nails, iron farm scrap metal, and other good metals to see if I can learn the different sounds. I'm sure some of it may be different with the metals in the soil, but I'm trying to learn this the best I can right now with the weather the way it is right now.

Don

Reading, Pennsylvania

Current machines:
MineLab Equinox 600
Tesoro Stingray
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites TDI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login