Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
A little more coil help for a newbe
Posted by: rogue
Date: March 17, 2018 08:01AM
Im looking for a bigger coil to get more depth on relics here in Va. I just received my tdi sl special edition with the miner John coil which is what i will be running it on. my questions, does the tdi sl have enough power to run the coiltek 17x11 or the miner john 12x16? I have read not to go bigger then 14" because there isnt enough power to run bigger coils. I get the larger 14.4 battery pack and am ordering one. Also which do better on depth for you guys the elliptical or concentric. I intend on learning this machine with the 8x12 miner john it came with before going bigger but would like to order the coil so it is in the arsenal ..... thanks

Re: A little more coil help for a newbe
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: March 17, 2018 10:08AM
If your looking for large relics... pop can size or close too it.. suggest the detech 18" coil. It ignores all targets, for the most part, that are under 1/4oz in weight. Great for deep large relics. Coil is ultra light but not cheap

Posted by: Mega
Date: March 17, 2018 10:54AM
Although i have the TDI Pro version i use a 20'' Grande Sierra coil on my machine,this was made for Jimmy Sierra by Miner John,this was not specifically made just for the Pro version but will also run on the 'sl' and SPP what ever the detector is called,so if it can run a 20'' coil then i would stick my neck on the block and say that it will have enough power too run the coils that you have mentioned.

I also use a Detech 18'' coil and totally agree it is deep but wont pick up coin size items,so is ideally suited for deep relic and hoard hunting,i also use a 15x12 Minelab Commander coil and my favourite coil the Coiltek 14x9 Mono that is just a beautiful coil to use,lightweight and can swing it all day long without a harness,but alas no good in the surf as its foam filled.

If you look at the Miner John adverts and read the sales pitch then the 16x12 coil was speifically made for all the TDI models including the 'sl' model,so yes it will run it without any problems.

Upgrading your detecting knowledge is far more important that chasing the latest detector/s !!!

Date: March 17, 2018 02:11PM
ok thanks guys.... mega i dont always believe the adverts, and like to ask for input by some real time users..i figure a 17x11 might run but uses more power to run and in turn may not go as deep as say a 14"... your 14x9 sonds interesting to me ....

Date: March 18, 2018 01:52AM
Mega the 14x9 or is it 8... Jimmy digger coil is my go to coil for the past couple years. It would be interesting to see how the detech fairs against the Jimmy coil. Both are foam filled. In the sl different metals will give a different response

Posted by: Mega
Date: March 18, 2018 03:37AM
stephenscool
Mega the 14x9 or is it 8... Jimmy digger coil is my go to coil for the past couple years. It would be interesting to see how the detech fairs against the Jimmy coil. Both are foam filled. In the sl different metals will give a different response

Stephen,just double checked my coil as you had me worried that i was quoting the wrong size and after measuring it and also it has the size on the Coiltek label as well and i can confirm it is a 14x9 Mono

Upgrading your detecting knowledge is far more important that chasing the latest detector/s !!!

Date: March 18, 2018 08:59AM
Mega, I'm going to keep an eye out for one of those 14x9 coils...

Date: March 19, 2018 07:40PM
I took the special edition out for the first time sunday and the miner John 12x8 is incredibly sensitive. At 10", measured by my pointer, I dug a pistol percussion cap that gave a great signal. It was mixed in the middle of a spot where i have dug a bunch of bullets, and missed by my f75 and t2 hunting low and slow...i was impressed, I think im going to like this!!!!

Date: March 19, 2018 10:02PM
rogue
I took the special edition out for the first time sunday and the miner John 12x8 is incredibly sensitive. At 10", measured by my pointer, I dug a pistol percussion cap that gave a great signal. It was mixed in the middle of a spot where i have dug a bunch of bullets, and missed by my f75 and t2 hunting low and slow...i was impressed, I think im going to like this!!!!
I've gone through a dozen different detectors. I end up selling them at a loss because not 1 has been able to compete with my tdi sl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login