Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Tdi sl higher voltage battery
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: March 19, 2018 10:01PM
Hoping some people can help me out. Looking to make a higher voltage battery for the sl (14.8v). Any photos would be great along with part numbers. I want to purchase all the parts locally and put it together here.
I wanted to buy 1 pre~assembled but the battery can't be shipped international.

Re: Tdi sl higher voltage battery
Date: March 20, 2018 04:29AM
Would it be possible to take the stock aa battery holder and reshape it to hold 4 x 18650 batteries? Then take each battery out After use and charge inside an external charger ? Each battery would be protected.. I could test each battery after charging .. and after use to make sure no problems are developing. Any problems from doing this and if there are how to solve them ?

Posted by: mschmahl
Date: March 20, 2018 05:58AM
Here is one but only for 3x18650. Maybe this guy can do one with 4x18650? fQAAOSwImRYDMxH" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Battery case

Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: March 20, 2018 06:16AM
I purchased one a few months ago from a guy in Va. that makes them and it is 14.8 V. with charger. So they can be made.

Date: March 20, 2018 08:13AM
Jim Robertson
I purchased one a few months ago from a guy in Va. that makes them and it is 14.8 V. with charger. So they can be made.
Problem is I'm international. The batteries can't be sent internationally unless they are in a laptop or such.

Date: March 20, 2018 08:15AM
mschmahl
Here is one but only for 3x18650. Maybe this guy can do one with 4x18650? Battery case
3.7 x 3... I think i,asked this guy about a year ago.. No reply from him so,I assume he couldn't make the design

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: March 20, 2018 10:08AM
First off, Stephen is can you purchase the rechargeable Li-ion batteries in your country? If so, you'll need 4 of them. Then, you need a "balancing" board, too. That board keeps the individual batteries balanced, so a bad one doen't cause over charging of the others. If you buy the right batteries all this will fit in the regular Whites battery pack, but not with the factory bottom in it. Reidman removes the factory base, and replaces it with a thinner sheet of plastic, so it will slide into the SL's compartment. I'll do some looking today and see if I can find more info on how to wire it up.
Jim

Date: March 20, 2018 11:58AM
So, here's a couple of links to Youtube videos showing how to assemble the packs. You'l need to keep the batteries in a single layer, of course. I'll try and find a suitable balancing board. The second link shows how the board is wired to the 4 cells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wc3QawKT4]Battery pack1[/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THtwSq1jRms]Battery pack2[/url]
You also need to find a balancing board that will fit, along with the batteries in White's pack. Here's one on @#$%&, but they don't show the dimensions. There are many others, and all pretty cheap, so you'll have to check around.
Balancing board
Note in the pic of the Reidman pack, he added an additional jack to plug the charger into. That jack has to match the output plug of whatever charger you use. Or, you could use the factory contacts in the Whites holder, but you'll have to make up a way to plug that holder into some kind of box so the contacts can be connected to the charger.
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 12:04PM by Jim in Idaho.

Date: March 20, 2018 01:08PM
Here's some pics of a battery box I made to plug a Whites pack into. it has a double bottom to hold the springs for the spring-loaded contacts that contact the Whites pack.

Probably be easier to just add the jack at the outside end like Reidman did.
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 01:14PM by Jim in Idaho.

Date: March 20, 2018 07:30PM
Jim in Idaho
Here's some pics of a battery box I made to plug a Whites pack into. it has a double bottom to hold the springs for the spring-loaded contacts that contact the Whites pack.

Probably be easier to just add the jack at the outside end like Reidman did.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Utube is blocked where I am.. sucks. I will look into the balancing board. I will likely sand down the tdi pack so the batteries fit smoothly. I'm wondering if it will be easier to remove each battery and charge them, rather than adding a balancing board and charging port into the back. If a battery dies go bad it won't be in use very long

Date: March 20, 2018 08:48PM
I think the difficulty in doing that is putting the contacts into the Whites box. You wouldn't want to unsolder them to charge, of course. The rechargeable Li-ion's are larger than AA's, so they won't go in the holders in the Whites box.. Or I think they are, unless somebody started selling an AA sized rechargeable that I don't know about. You could do without the balancing board. The downside is that if the internal resistance of one of the batteries is considerably higher than the others, that will cause the others to be overcharged. I guess that could lead to fie, but I imagine the risks are pretty low.
Another thing to think about if using a rechargeable AA size li-ion, assuming they are available, is how much run time you will get with just 4 of them in the box. I need to do a test to see how much current the SL draws when running.
Jim

Date: March 20, 2018 08:49PM
I think the difficulty in doing that is putting the contacts into the Whites box. You wouldn't want to unsolder them to charge, of course. The rechargeable Li-ion's are larger than AA's, so they won't go in the holders in the Whites box.. Or I think they are, unless somebody started selling an AA sized rechargeable that I don't know about. You could do without the balancing board. The downside is that if the internal resistance of one of the batteries is considerably higher than the others, that will cause the others to be overcharged. I guess that could lead to fire, but I imagine the risks are pretty low.
Another thing to think about if using a rechargeable AA size li-ion, assuming they are available, is how much run time you will get with just 4 of them in the box. I need to do a test to see how much current the SL draws when running.
Jim

Date: March 20, 2018 10:42PM
Looking to put 3.7v x 4 (18650) . I think rearranging the leads will be pretty easy. If the 4 will fit. Putting in the board and external port for charging won't be that easy i think... For the experience I have in this area

Posted by: mschmahl
Date: March 21, 2018 05:29AM
@ Jim thanks for your help. I think the easiest way is to build it for a multi-charger with balancer. So you can build it how it is shown in the video, with + and - plug and balancer plug (this with 5 wires).
@ stephenscool you have to open the u-tube links in a new window (copy and paste) than it is working

Date: March 21, 2018 06:14AM
Pretty sure I tried this with 3.7 x 4 (14500) last year and the SL did not react well at all. Coil sounded like it had water in it.
Just measured the 18650 size battery and can't see how 4 can fit into a whites battery tray unless 1 is odd shaped. I'm not able to access utube where i live Its firewalled nation wide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login