Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
TDI PRO first impressions
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: April 08, 2018 07:51AM
Finally got my hands on a PRO version. I've used the SL version almost exclusively for several years for salt water wetsand and up to thigh deep in calm waters. Always straight PI mode with no GB

First impressions of the Pro version. It weighs a TON compared to the SL. The Pro battery weighs about as much as the entire SL control box. I was very surprised to discover this.
The threshold is very choppy but appears the frequency knob is able to keep it down with a little adjusting. I have no idea what the frequency knob does on the SL as I've never had to use it.
The Pro appears to be deeper. BUT at the cost of a much higher weight and a crappy threshold. With the SL if there is a target within range its going to give a signal that is clearly audible by the user. As of right now I can't say the same of the Pro. Perhaps with a year experience I might revisit this thread and update it. Some targets might be harder to hear clearly with the Pro than the SL.
The SL should get more depth with a higher voltage battery... but from the experimenting I've had in this area it also causes an erratic threshold in some coils (3.7v x 4)

I decided to make a skinny shaft for the Pro with it mounted slightly behind the elbow. With the SL version this is a perfect combo. NOT so with the pro. Now its a teeter-tooter with the armcuff strap and a 1" area of my forearm keeping up all the weight.

I'll post some photos of the shaft in a few hours

Re: TDI PRO first impressions
Date: April 08, 2018 08:23AM
Not at all satisfied with this shaft. They can't all be homeruns I guess.... either that or I've been pampered by the SL weight for so long.
Diameter is about 1/2 the stock shaft... but I had to reinforce it in certain spots due to the weight of the control box. Will try it out for a week and see how I feel about it after that. Handle and arm cuff are fully adjustable... if it looks like its slightly lopsided its because it is.. I swing with the right arm

Posted by: Mega
Date: April 08, 2018 09:19AM
Sorry to hear that the Pro version is not giving the same 'buzz' as the SL version that you all ready have,i did use a sl version for a very short time duration before i bought my Pro,it was such a short time that i never really gave it a good comparison with the Pro,main reason i did not buy the sl one was the 'S' shaped shaft which of course can be altered into a straight shaft and but it was the battery life that i was concerned about more than anything,then of course the battery shipping issues of the Pro came along,so was lucky too get one,also was lucky at the same time i bought another new backup battery pack which addressed the battery long term concern that i had.

Am i pleased with mine ?? the answer after 18 months of owning the machine is a big yes,it does exactly what i want from the machine on my permission.,would i sell it,i doubt that i will as i tend to keep them for a very long time.

A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

Date: April 08, 2018 11:11AM
The SL I have a couple RNB batteries that last longer than me.. aswell as a couple I made myself. Converted the shaft to a behind the elbow and its a breeze to swing.

I will be committed to using the Pro for the summer at least. I can see it getting real heavy after a few hours though. I have 2 batteries (used) and no hope of buying a new 1. I might have to consider making 1 in the fall or so.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: April 08, 2018 12:16PM
IF you could get the REG Mod your pro would be as stable as your SL and IF Whites had done a couple mods at the factory they would have sold M A N Y Pros,but now it's "Whites" ??

Date: April 08, 2018 06:12PM
doc holiday232
IF you could get the REG Mod your pro would be as stable as your SL and IF Whites had done a couple mods at the factory they would have sold M A N Y Pros,but now it's "Whites" ??
There is a small gold on/off switch inside near the battery.. which I've never seen or heard of. Bought this from a nugget hunter that if I mention his name all on here would recognize. Haven't had a chance to take it to the beach yet and try different settings with the switch on and off yet.

Posted by: roadapple
Date: April 08, 2018 06:35PM
Just remember the beauty of this TDI Pro and the Standard TDI is to chest mount the box and balance out the shaft and it becomes very easy and light to swing. By the way......nice looking set/up !

Date: April 08, 2018 10:55PM
roadapple
Just remember the beauty of this TDI Pro and the Standard TDI is to chest mount the box and balance out the shaft and it becomes very easy and light to swing. By the way......nice looking set/up !
Also a belt clip. I have been considering this.
Thanks. The Setup might look nice.. but it's not comfortable. I recommend behind the elbow for the SL but not the pro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 10:57PM by stephenscool.

Date: April 09, 2018 09:48AM
That "off/on switch" will be interesting---let us know.

Posted by: Reg
Date: April 09, 2018 11:12AM
"There is a small gold on/off switch inside near the battery"

FYI your SL has that small gold mod installed but is not switchable. This mod is another trick I came up with several years ago and was added to the SL at the onset.

Reg

Date: April 10, 2018 03:15AM
Some 24k small jewellery had very noticeable depth difference between the sl and pro. Larger targets there was a difference but not drastically. 0.5g depth difference was a real eye opener. If I have time over the next few days i will confirm the results again.

Date: April 10, 2018 09:26AM
I figured REG would be in the woodpile !!! If Whites had any sense,which they Don't,they would put Reg in charge of a TDI renewal project !!!

Date: April 13, 2018 03:12AM
Just an update on the weight/shaft issue

I switched back to my foam filled go to coil and switched the arm cuff strap to a wider one. The balance and weight is MUCH better now.

I made the coil that color so it's a little harder for my competition to find me in the middle of the night. A white coil can be easily seen from a long distance away

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login