Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
TDI Pro "Joy"
Posted by: cjc
Date: May 21, 2018 06:04AM
I couldn't be happier with the depth performance of this detector. As a waterproof beach machine it gives me an edge on even the mighty Dual Field. Just had it out and was very excited to see that when you control for narrow symetrical responses the caps and pins can be avoided. This gets easier when you run some Delay--up above say---10:00 o'clock. I've also noticed that running the Gain way up brings up so much noise that signal are harder to hear agains the background. Even a setting of about 2:00 is fine--maybe even too much. I run no GB. Any time spent learning this machine is time well spent. While I didn't scoop any gold with it first time out this year--just hitting a few wadded up foils at 18" shows the potential. Even these sounded a bit "fuzzy." This is a detector that will do the job. Ive a big coil Cuda and a Bill Lahr modded (12 uSc) Dual Field as well but the TDI gives a real and much needed advantage over the "hoards."
cjc

Re: TDI Pro "Joy"
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: May 21, 2018 06:35AM
The tdi series is pretty remarkable. Some people say the sl was a step back. I care to differ.
Recently sold my df and picked up a surf pi pro. Threshold smoother and overall a good unit

Posted by: Mega
Date: May 21, 2018 06:47AM
I dont use my TDI Pro on the beach as i live so far inland,but must admit i am well pleased with the performance from it,i do use the GB facility as mainly use it in low conductivity on certain specific sites,pretty amazing the ability of the audio discrimination of this detector,never run it flat out or even near it either,just run the gain about half way and minimum delay.........works fine for my needs.

Mainly only use 3 coils,7.5DF,Coiltek 14x9 main everyday use coil and Minelab 15x12 Mono for deeper work.

Posted by: PryorCreekJoe
Date: May 21, 2018 07:42AM
cjc
I couldn't be happier with the depth performance of this detector. As a waterproof beach machine it gives me an edge on even the mighty Dual Field. Just had it out and was very excited to see that when you control for narrow symetrical responses the caps and pins can be avoided. This gets easier when you run some Delay--up above say---10:00 o'clock. I've also noticed that running the Gain way up brings up so much noise that signal are harder to hear agains the background. Even a setting of about 2:00 is fine--maybe even too much. I run no GB. Any time spent learning this machine is time well spent. While I didn't scoop any gold with it first time out this year--just hitting a few wadded up foils at 18" shows the potential. Even these sounded a bit "fuzzy." This is a detector that will do the job. Ive a big coil Cuda and a Bill Lahr modded (12 uSc) Dual Field as well but the TDI gives a real and much needed advantage over the "hoards."
cjc

Clive,

Did you put the "innards" into a waterproof housing? Pics please!!! I use my TDI PRO for dry sand and wet line but use my Dual Scan for the surf. Would love to get the TDI PRO out waist to shoulder deep and visit some virgin depths. Keep the post coming on your waterproof TDI Pro! (will there be a book forth coming?)

PCJ

Posted by: lytle78
Date: May 21, 2018 08:12AM
The basic 2 channel Eric Foster design is extremely powerful with GB off - sadly, the GB-on depth loss is pretty great.

I had one of the TDI’s with the full range of the Reg Sniff mods and it was quiet as a mouse. I passed it on to “Old California” and he’s killing with it in Relic hunting.

Nobody has brought another PI to market improving on the basic concept. It will be interesting when the new Fisher PI comes out to see how it has developed beyond the platform represented by the TDI.

Rick Kempf

Date: May 22, 2018 11:02PM
Your machine is in good hands with Paul. For sure we are all waiting to see what the French design will do. Could be good. For the time being though nothing will touch that TDI Pro--a reall cannon.
cjc

Date: May 22, 2018 11:07PM
...pride o' the fleet! Fullly shielded, no more heat than the land version--my secret is brass spindles...
..and room for my Desert Eagle (handgun case...) and lunch...gotta find something non-buyoant to fill the air space actually--tends to try and float.
Ive gota lot to learn with this one--getting to be able to hear what's what though...
cjc

Date: May 22, 2018 11:09PM
Thanks good info Mega especiallly your coil choices...
cjc

Date: May 22, 2018 11:11PM
That SMPI coil is one of the best ever made IMHO--got em on two of my Cudas. Great info from this coil--very clean conduction--killer in the black sand.
cjc

Posted by: PryorCreekJoe
Date: May 23, 2018 08:09AM
AWESOME!!! I love your imagination and inventiveness. Where most detectorist just dream about the day the manufacture produces a waterproof model, you build it!!! Well done my friend. I have been told (from an extremely reliable and trustworthy source) tjat he gets about 4 to 6 inches more depth from his TDI Pro verses his dual scan. (he says that it's the electronics and the bigger battery power) Even at just 4 inches more, is huge in this hobby.
Keep us posted on your FrankenTDI in the surf. It would not be for everyone as some could not dig that deep in a rough surf to get to the target. LOL Diving or snorkeling would be a good option I assume?

Again, well done,
Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login