Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Any regular users of the TDI in the UK
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: June 20, 2018 06:19AM
Just wondered if there is anyone within the UK using the TDI on a regular basis. If so, are you beach or land detecting?

Although the TDI is a very good machine, it does take a bit of learning to make the best of it and these days people seem to want machines that are easy and quick to operate.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils. Whites TDI. Nexus MP, Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus DMC-IIB.

Re: Any regular users of the TDI in the UK
Posted by: Mega
Date: June 20, 2018 10:21AM
Yes,i use a TDI Pro in the UK,predominantly land use,and on pasture more specifically and as you are aware a very interesting and demanding roman site,the ground is that bad that very few VLF machines work on this site and its mainly a Pulse machines location,most finds are within the top 6-8'' which is hard for a normal machine too penetrate,but i still reckon because the site was active for 400 years some of the more desirable artifact could be even deeper,so this is the reason why i will be using the TDI Pro with a decent size coil when we get back on site again after the harvest.Also with be taking both the SE and MP machines along for the ride as well.

As you also have knowledge of this site you input on my way of thinking would be most welcome,almost certain have the right tools for the job.

Every hole is like a scratch card. Usually it’s nothing. Sometimes you win a prize.

Quaerite et invenietis !!

Date: June 21, 2018 03:55AM
If I remember correctly the site is highly mineralised with a lot of iron contamination.
I think it is a good site for the TDI as you can use the conductor switch to search for your target type with the TDI not seeing the unselected conductivity targets.
You suspect the hoards are scattered so looking for individual coins, I would stick to nothing larger than your 14x9 coil (because of the contamination). The small round 7.5" dual field coil could play a part as well. It would probably be best to work in selected small area each time you visit.

I'm not convinced using the larger 18" & 20" coils is a viable option on the site, I also believe the TDI doesnt work well with these larger coils although I could be wrong on this.

Wish you well on your next hunt there.

Happy Hunting
Minelab GPX-5000 - Backup GPX-4500 with a very large selection of coils. Whites TDI. Nexus MP, Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus DMC-IIB.

Date: June 21, 2018 04:11AM
filternozzle
If I remember correctly the site is highly mineralised with a lot of iron contamination.
I think it is a good site for the TDI as you can use the conductor switch to search for your target type with the TDI not seeing the unselected conductivity targets.
You suspect the hoards are scattered so looking for individual coins, I would stick to nothing larger than your 14x9 coil (because of the contamination). The small round 7.5" dual field coil could play a part as well. It would probably be best to work in selected small area each time you visit.

I'm not convinced using the larger 18" & 20" coils is a viable option on the site, I also believe the TDI doesnt work well with these larger coils although I could be wrong on this.

Wish you well on your next hunt there.

Yes,thats exactly my way of thinking,the 18'' and 20'' coil are rarely use and certainly wont be used on that site as the ground is far too trashy for the,but normally i would not invest heavily in such coils as the 'cost to use' equation comes into play with me,but because i bought them brand new at a crazy low price the idea of them sitting in a corner gathering dust and only coming out to play a few times and also the possibility of finding something substantial,then that ticked the deciding boxes for me.Do they work on the TDI Pro you ask ?? well the 18'' coil although being design for the GPX range does work a treat on the TDI Pro but i will admit that is mainly on alrger targets,not all that good on small coin sizes though,the 20'' coil was 'specifically' designed for the TDI Pro and allied models.

The landowner and this is not giving any important information away about the location has highlighted that a substantial hoard was found some years back i cannot recall if it was in that specific field or the next one,so that is why each time we visit the site,will be using the TDI and predominantly the 14x9 coil,as that will not only pick up larger items but still keep the sensitivity on coin size items as well.

Of course nothing is for certain in the detecting game,but this is just my personal opinion if you use certain detecting equipment and coil selection 'you' can increase the odds in your favour.

Every hole is like a scratch card. Usually it’s nothing. Sometimes you win a prize.

Date: June 23, 2018 04:18AM
Just been invited onto a very large pasture site in a weeks time,as the crops are in full grown have jumped at the opportunity too detect on this site,as the fields around this pasture have yielded silver hammered coins and roman before,i will be using the TDI and 14x9 Coiltek coil for the extra depth and running it in low conductivity,the idea behind this is although i will loose a 'little' depth it will reduce the risk of digging so much iron,ground will be pretty hard so we will see how it goes.If its pretty clean will then try running the Pro in straight PI mode.

Date: June 23, 2018 03:40PM
Mega
Just been invited onto a very large pasture site in a weeks time,as the crops are in full grown have jumped at the opportunity too detect on this site,as the fields around this pasture have yielded silver hammered coins and roman before,i will be using the TDI and 14x9 Coiltek coil for the extra depth and running it in low conductivity,the idea behind this is although i will loose a 'little' depth it will reduce the risk of digging so much iron,ground will be pretty hard so we will see how it goes.If its pretty clean will then try running the Pro in straight PI mode.

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how you get on irrespective of whether you find hammered or Roman.

Happy Hunting

Date: June 24, 2018 05:21AM
filternozzle

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how you get on irrespective of whether you find hammered or Roman.

I reckon you have secret desire too get another TDI Pro again or you may have even bought one recently :rofl:

Date: June 25, 2018 02:49AM
I have the original TDI model coming Mega.

Although I have been using the GPX for the last 7 years and very happy with it. I always regretted selling my TDI about 5/6 years ago.
There are sites and occasions where I would prefer to use the TDI over the GPX.

I took the opportunity to purchase at a very good price from someone I know very well for a machine in very good condition and full working order.....Happy days!! :laugh:

Happy Hunting

Date: June 27, 2018 05:50AM
Expecting delivery of the TDI today (its a straight TDI not the Pro or SL). Weather is great, ground is like concrete but I will be out with it over the weekend. Its over 5 years since I used one, so it will probably take a little while for the cobwebs to clear but I am looking forward to it.

I'll probably stick with the stock 12" Dual Field coil to start with. I have a wide choice of Mono, Anti Interference and DD coils for my GPX and some of them will get a run on the TDI.

Detecting is such a great hobby.... I get such a buzz from it....zzzzzzz

Happy Hunting

Date: June 27, 2018 06:00AM
filternozzle
Expecting delivery of the TDI today (its a straight TDI not the Pro or SL). Weather is great, ground is like concrete but I will be out with it over the weekend. Its over 5 years since I used one, so it will probably take a little while for the cobwebs to clear but I am looking forward to it.

I'll probably stick with the stock 12" Dual Field coil to start with. I have a wide choice of Mono, Anti Interference and DD coils for my GPX and some of them will get a run on the TDI.

Will be interesting on see how some of your other Coils work on the TDI,i am aware that some DD coils had been specifically made for the TDI by Miner John,but its the array of Minelab DD coils that i am interested in more than anything,the 15x12 Mono that i have works fine,as do all the others.

Date: June 27, 2018 12:19PM
Mega

Will be interesting on see how some of your other Coils work on the TDI,i am aware that some DD coils had been specifically made for the TDI by Miner John,but its the array of Minelab DD coils that i am interested in more than anything,the 15x12 Mono that i have works fine,as do all the others.

My understanding is there would be quite a depth loss with a DD even if it works ok. The anti interference may be a better choice, I believe it is similar to a folded 8. Time will tell, I have to get back into the swing of things with the TDI before experimenting with other coils though.

Happy Hunting

Date: June 29, 2018 05:10AM
Well my TDI arrived. The condition is pristine, I would say it is unused, there isn't a mark on the box and everything that isn't black is nice and new looking shiny.. I just hope the inside is as good as the outside. I have had a quick blip round the back garden and everything seems to be in order but you really cant tell until out in the field on a proper days detecting. What is amazing is that Whites UK tell me the serial number dates it to March 2009. I believe the TDI came out around May 2008, so this is one from the first year of production...

Happy Hunting

Date: June 30, 2018 02:44PM
filternozzle
Well my TDI arrived. The condition is pristine, I would say it is unused, there isn't a mark on the box and everything that isn't black is nice and new looking shiny.. I just hope the inside is as good as the outside. I have had a quick blip round the back garden and everything seems to be in order but you really cant tell until out in the field on a proper days detecting. What is amazing is that Whites UK tell me the serial number dates it to March 2009. I believe the TDI came out around May 2008, so this is one from the first year of production...

So have you tried out your new toy yet ??

Date: July 01, 2018 04:06AM
Mega

So have you tried out your new toy yet ??

Out with it yesterday. As the weather is so hot at the moment I travelled to site on Friday evening with the idea of starting detecting around 05:00hrs, when the day is at its coolest. However, I didn't wake up till 06:30hrs (slept in the car) and by the time I was swinging it was 07:30hrs.

Lovely blue skies without a cloud in site, very little breeze so I knew it was going to be another hot day. Site was a pasture field, used for silage and grazing a dairy herd, in a nice part of SW Scotland. I was going to carry out all sorts of tests by drilling holes and using test pegs with hammered coins but for some reason I decided against that and to just start swinging. The ground was solid, every hole was going to be difficult but that's how it goes, you have to take the rough with the smooth with this hobby. Just light mineralisation meant I could play around with the GEB setting without too much of a problem. I chose to run at minimum pulse delay, GEB on, initial gain at 6 which I raised and lowered through the day just to see what affect it had on targets. As my primary search was for a hammered penny (low conductor) I set the GEB to 4.,you might ask why not 1 as the lower the number the better one can find low conductors. I had found when playing around in my garden test bed that a GEB setting 4 obtained the best response for most hammered pennies. Threshold was raised just above the slight warble giving a nice steady tone. The Conductivity switch at Low.

I searched and with each signal that appeared small enough to be a small hammered coin I would go over it again after changing the GEB to 8, if it still sounded sweet I was happy to dig. This procedure does knock out a lot but not all iron, if the target was a hammered penny it normally would still give a sweet sound. I did a fair amount of digging, even when I thought the target was a non-digger I still dug, just to see if I was right about it. Throughout the day I experimented with different settings of the Gain, GEB, Conductivity and Pulse Delay. At the end of the day I had refreshed my knowledge of the TDI and how it works in dry light mineralisation. Did I find any coins?? I would like to report a yes, however, I didn't dig a single coin or button all day, lots of other bits and bobs but no coins. As we all know, that's detecting, some days are productive and others aren't. Did I enjoy it? Of course I did and I am looking forward to my next outing with the TDI.

Happy Hunting

Date: July 01, 2018 05:42AM
What I didn't mention in my previous post was my coil was a Coiltek 10x5 DD. It worked very well. I didn't want to use a large coil even though one would have given much better ground coverage. I had a Coiltek 6" Mono with me but again I was happy with the 10x5" DD and will try the little mono another day, The fact that it was a long trek back to the car to fetch it might have had something to do with it, and with the hot sun above, I decided against it....LOL

Happy Hunting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login