Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Do you search for Low Conducting hammered coins?
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: July 03, 2018 09:43AM
I was wondering how many out there using the TDI are searching for Low Conducting hammered silver coins? .

I do and it is the main target I am looking for. However, in my area they are pretty scarce so I don't find many at all. I'd really like to hear from others who search for the same.

Happy Hunting
Minelab: GPX-5000, GPX-4500. Whites Pulse Scan TDI. Nexus: MP, Standard Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus: Silver King, DMC, DMC II, DMC-IIB & DMC IIBa.

Re: Do you search for Low Conducting hammered coins?
Posted by: Mega
Date: July 03, 2018 10:13AM
I only use the TDI Pro in low conductivity mode,the main targets are hammered silver coins,roman and have have checked with the celtic goldstaters that i have found both full and 1/4 ones and it bangs them out all the time,so although in theory i could be missing some targets i wont be missing much though,but from the testing that i have been doing in recent days i can nearly call what is iron except really large items then these items like say large horse shoe etc will fool most machines.

Main sites that will be used with the TDI Pro using the low conductivity will be sites like the roman 'pump station' site, and a few others,i would normally use a VLF for most of my detecting sites and not a Pulse,only use a PI detector when a VLF is struggling,i have a few deep pasture sites that have a slightly higher mineral content than normal,so that is when the TDI is used.

Cannot recall the last time i run the TDI in straight PI mode or high conductivity setting,for the most part and the desired targets ie silver hammered coins then low conductivity works just fine.

TDI pro in low conductivity mode works a treat on hammered coins,tried this morning on my test patch and also a quick airtest and when using both the 7.5'' DF and Coiltek coil really works exceptionally well on small cut halves and even pretty good on small roman minims and rose farthings,so it will still detect the small stuff as well.The low/high conductivity facility on the TDI Pro is a very underrated but main function on the TDI,especially on low conductive targets like hammies,certainly reduces digging non desirable targets like nails etc.The more i use it the more i like it.

Would be interesting too hear your perspective of the TDI and the GPX,as you have had great knowledge of both machines.

Date: July 03, 2018 10:19AM
Hi Mega, When searching for hammered low conductors what reading is your GEB generally set to? I assume your Pulse Delay is set to minimum.....

Happy Hunting
Minelab: GPX-5000, GPX-4500. Whites Pulse Scan TDI. Nexus: MP, Standard Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus: Silver King, DMC, DMC II, DMC-IIB & DMC IIBa.

Date: July 03, 2018 10:34AM
filternozzle
Hi Mega, When searching for hammered low conductors what reading is your GEB generally set to? I assume your Pulse Delay is set to minimum.....

Richard,delay is minimum and GEB is usually 4,i rarely need to alter my settings,i find 4 GEB works pretty well on both the 7.5DF and the 14x9 Coiltek coils,was a bit concerned that with the larger Coiltek it would not pick up small cut 1/4 and halves,but it does work rather well on small targets and of course would still give me very good depth on larger artifacts as well,best of both worlds with that coil.

Date: July 03, 2018 10:40AM
Mega

Richard,delay is minimum and GEB is usually 4,i rarely need to alter my settings,i find 4 GEB works pretty well on both the 7.5DF and the 14x9 Coiltek coils,was a bit concerned that with the larger Coiltek it would not pick up small cut 1/4 and halves,but it does work rather well on small targets and of course would still give me very good depth on larger artifacts as well,best of both worlds with that coil.

When you get a target signal with that setup I take it you dig?

Happy Hunting

Date: July 03, 2018 10:53AM
filternozzle

When you get a target signal with that setup I take it you dig?

When using those settings on both my mature test garden as well as coins laid down on my lawn on clean ground,it hits all the decent coins both small and large hammies with a decent positive signal,but when i go over nails ie both small are large 'rusty' one the signal is not as positive as a decent hammered would give,i find that i cannot mistake a decent positive signal over a broken grunt signal that a iron nail gives off,of course like a GPX you can be fooled as can any VLF machine,but for the most part it works pretty well,if i have any doubt and its a borderline audio signal,then too be on the safe side the target comes out,that way in theory it reduces your chances of missing a iffy decent signal.

Date: July 03, 2018 11:20AM
Why don't you try this:

Your normal TDI setup seaching in Low Conduction as mentioned above.
Signal heard and sounds good.
Turn GEB up to 6 and switch Conductor Switch to High.
Sweep, if you get a signal DONT dig.

This will get rid of some of the iron signals that on your first detection in Low conductivity gave a good signal. When turning GEB up to 6 the iron target has gone back over into the high conductor zone (caused by the change of GEB setting) so now will give a high conducting LOW tone. Hope this makes sense.

It does not get rid of all iron but it does get rid of some which saves digging for nowt.

Happy Hunting

Date: July 04, 2018 02:59AM
filternozzle
Why don't you try this:

Your normal TDI setup seaching in Low Conduction as mentioned above.
Signal heard and sounds good.
Turn GEB up to 6 and switch Conductor Switch to High.
Sweep, if you get a signal DONT dig.

This will get rid of some of the iron signals that on your first detection in Low conductivity gave a good signal. When turning GEB up to 6 the iron target has gone back over into the high conductor zone (caused by the change of GEB setting) so now will give a high conducting LOW tone. Hope this makes sense.

It does not get rid of all iron but it does get rid of some which saves digging for nowt.

Will give the method that you have suggested a try,another method also is if you do get a 'iffy' signal is either try your suggestion or also raise the coil slightly a few folks have suggest this as well,have found that when you get a banging signal on my test garden and then go over a iron object by raising the coil just slightly almost the signal seems too vanish but when the coil goes over a decent target and you raise the coil slightly the signal still seems to be fine.Of course we use what works for us.

As the ground is like concrete i doubt that i will be out again till after harvest time,will still be doing some testing but in this extreme heat and ground conditions its not the most enjoyable time for detecting,harvest will be much much earlier this year anyway.

Date: July 21, 2018 01:47PM
Taking the TDI pro out all day tomorrow on a productive roman site,will be running it in low conductivity with the 7.5'' DF coil on,ground will be like concrete which i can handle but its the hot weather will dictate how long i detector for,gut feeling tells me it wont a be a total full days session.

Date: July 21, 2018 01:54PM
Mega
Taking the TDI pro out all day tomorrow on a productive roman site,will be running it in low conductivity with the 7.5'' DF coil on,ground will be like concrete which i can handle but its the hot weather will dictate how long i detector for,gut feeling tells me it wont a be a total full days session.

Good luck, hope to hear of a nice find or two....

Happy Hunting

Date: July 21, 2018 04:52PM
Mega

At least you are getting out..... I am confined to duties around the house and garden, hopefully my good lady will sign my leave pass for next weekend...LOL

Happy Hunting

Date: July 22, 2018 01:46PM
Mega

So how did you get on??

Happy Hunting

Date: July 23, 2018 03:07AM
filternozzle

So how did you get on??

A mixed day really,enjoy the day out with a return trip of about 150 miles and nice too meet some old detecting buddies from years ago.

Detecting wise,basically a waste of time,the location and history and finds are certainly not only in that location but all around the area,but basically the ground was so hard even if you could get a signal you basically just could not dig any great depth.Many folks broke el-cheapo spades and also some decent bought ones as well,a friend of mine made mine about 4 years ago and not in a million years would you bend or break it/them.

Heat eventually sapped your strength but the biggest killer was the ground condition,although it was 'Oileed rape' stubble it had been rolled flat,so not the usual problems with the cane stalks.Found a few Viccy pennies and a unusual 'small bronze Indian Goddess' we suspect it could be a small knife pommel.

Although i did take the TDI Pro and 7.5'' DF coil,only used it a short while,it would give you the depth in the concrete ground conditions,but basically a wasted effort as you 'could not' recovery the targets it was that hard,it took some time digging down to say just 4'',beyond that was a waste of time,so changed to a small coil VLF setup,that is when i found the small possible pommel.

Really nice getting out and travelling to another part of the country,but detecting wise a bit of a wasted exercise really,although the crops are coming off,i doubt that i will venture out detecting again till we have had a very long wet session,cannot see the point of trying and digging concrete,that is not fun what so ever.Weather also looks like it wont give us any rain for a long while yet.So basically detecting has stopped play.

Date: July 23, 2018 04:46AM
Mega

Detecting wise,basically a waste of time,the location and history and finds are certainly not only in that location but all around the area,but basically the ground was so hard even if you could get a signal you basically just could not dig any great depth.Many folks broke el-cheapo spades and also some decent bought ones as well,a friend of mine made mine about 4 years ago and not in a million years would you bend or break it/them. .Found a few Viccy pennies and a unusual 'small bronze Indian Goddess' we suspect it could be a small knife pommel.

Although i did take the TDI Pro and 7.5'' DF coil,only used it a short while,it would give you the depth in the concrete ground conditions,but basically a wasted effort as you 'could not' recovery the targets it was that hard,it took some time digging down to say just 4'',beyond that was a waste of time.

i doubt that i will venture out detecting again till we have had a very long wet session,cannot see the point of trying and digging concrete,that is not fun what so ever.Weather also looks like it wont give us any rain for a long while yet.So basically detecting has stopped play.

That's why I always carry the 'Detecting Pick', it's a great tool when the ground is like concrete, also earns its money in wooded areas slicing through the roots. The knife pemmel sounds interesting, any idea of date?

Happy Hunting

Date: July 23, 2018 05:22AM
filternozzle

That's why I always carry the 'Detecting Pick', it's a great tool when the ground is like concrete, also earns its money in wooded areas slicing through the roots. The knife pemmel sounds interesting, any idea of date?

Must admit i could have taken a pick or anything else,it may have made it slightly easier,but me me and all the others it was just not enjoyable digging in concrete,so for me i certainly wont be out again for 3-4 weeks,not my idea of detecting enjoyment for sure.

Not checked any finds yet,i rarely do check them these days,i get more enjoyment from the 'thrill of the chase' than research,infact not done much research on my find for years and years.Even my celtic gold staters are just stuck in draws gathering dust,the excitement was finding them and that was it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login