Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
What is the preferred coil to use on the TDI SL for gold ring hunting on Saltwater Beaches
Posted by: Robert Vaughn
Date: September 18, 2018 12:04AM
I just purchased a TDI SL with the 12 inch Dual Field coil. Is there a better coil to get MAX Depth on saltwater beaches on gold rings.
Many Thanks
Robert

Re: What is the preferred coil to use on the TDI SL for gold ring hunting on Saltwater Beaches
Posted by: filternozzle
Date: September 18, 2018 05:48AM
The Dual Field coil is a good coil to use, the smaller inner coil is sensitive to small items and at the same time the larger outer coil gives good depth. On beach wet sand the problem with depth is the sides of the hole walls collapse in, so you have to be quick and dig out several scoops on deeper items. You could go for a 14" mono for a little more depth but if I was you I'd stick to the DF coil for now and see how it goes.

Happy Hunting
Minelab: GPX-5000, GPX-4500. Whites Pulse Scan TDI. Nexus: MP, Standard Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus: Silver King, DMC, DMC II, DMC-IIB & DMC IIBa.

Re: What is the preferred coil to use on the TDI SL for gold ring hunting on Saltwater Beaches
Posted by: sonnar28
Date: September 18, 2018 07:13PM
I am not blessed with the dual field coil.

For open beach, the Razorback 14 inch mono has more coverage, seems easier to ground balance, and also seems to tolerate EMI a little better due to Miner John's shielding. A 14 inch coil is just about optimal for ring sized targets, at least that is what Coiltek found when they made the WOT coil for Sovereign/Excal at 14.25 inch measured size.

Starting with the 12 inch Dual Field coil is reasonable, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 07:24PM by sonnar28.

Thanks - Air Tested the 12" Dual Field Coil with good results
Posted by: Robert Vaughn
Date: September 18, 2018 10:51PM
Did some air testing on a medium sized gold ring tonight. Depth was very good. With the threshold BARELY audible on my Gray Ghost headset and pulse at 10us with max sensitivity and GB off I could hear a Very faint response at 16.5". Without the headset I could only hear a faint signal at 14". To get a response at this depth I had to use a slow/medium sweep speed. When sweeping too fast I was losing close to 3" in depth. I may install a 10:1 Vernier dial on the threshold pot to make it easier to keep the Faintest threshold more easily dialed in. These results were with the 12" dual field coil on the TDI SL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login