Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Settings for gold and silver coins, with lots of iron?
Posted by: makahaman
Date: September 28, 2018 06:52AM
I need help with the new TDI I am getting very soon in the mail, I am hunting very old house sites with silver coins but there is a chance there could be gold ones too. What do you guys suggest my settings would be because the ground is very hot with lots of iron and hot rocks. I want to find the silver coins but don't want to lose the possible gold one that could be there also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in the settings. Thank you and hoping to hear from some of you experts on here! Aloha

Re: Settings for gold and silver coins, with lots of iron?
Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: September 28, 2018 08:59AM
1.Set threshold to lowest and quietest position
2.Set ground balance
3.Pulse at 10
4.Dig EVERYTHING at first to get a feel for the machine
5.After you get a feel for things then try different settings----folks on here will help

Posted by: Mega
Date: September 28, 2018 10:34AM
I mainly run mine in low conductivity only,my main targets are silver hammered coins and celtic gold staters does a reasonable job on sites that have some iron on,but for the most part i would not use a Pulse as a everyday machine,mainly use it on high mineral content sites and also for depth when using a big coil for deepa rtifact/hoard hunting on pasture sites.Apart from that mainly use a VLF machine when i can and at a last resort when a VLF is not best suited for the job then the TDI comes out too play.

An ageing reprobate awaiting the Reaper's visit, trying to do interesting things until he calls....

Posted by: roadapple
Date: September 28, 2018 02:20PM
makahaman
I need help with the new TDI I am getting very soon in the mail, I am hunting very old house sites with silver coins but there is a chance there could be gold ones too. What do you guys suggest my settings would be because the ground is very hot with lots of iron and hot rocks. I want to find the silver coins but don't want to lose the possible gold one that could be there also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in the settings. Thank you and hoping to hear from some of you experts on here! Aloha
Here is a suggestion for the type of cleanup utilized in hunting a very old house sites with a pulse induction machines such as the TDI. First,by griding off sections of ground, this individual would go through the entire yard with the machine set to "all" (all metal) marking each and every signal with a golf tee or flag, regardless of tone produced. Then this individual would then go over those same flagged areas with an FBS discrimination unit, such as an E-Trac or CTX identifying the Iron producing signals ( not to dig) and retrieving all other signals. If any signal was deeper than the FBS unit could reach he would dig and retrieve what was producing the signal and many times these deep signals produced very old coins and jewelry. Your TDI is a very deep seeking unit and there are ways to run a coins search program that can completely ignore all iron, however a great deal of lost depth happens as a result when using this coin program. Therefore, by using the two machines in conjunction this is the easiest way to thoroughly clean an area without taking tons of unwanted Iron. Happy Hunting !

Posted by: sonnar28
Date: September 29, 2018 10:22PM
Unless you dig everything, you cannot get typical gold coins and silver using the same ground balance/pulse delay settings. The gold coin will be a low conductor, and the silver coin will be a high conductor.

My counsel would be to first concentrate on finding some silver coins while you learn how to use your machine.

Steve Herschbach wrote a nice article entitled "White's TDI Coin Settings" that thoroughly covers the topic, Google this and digest it. Also Google "HANDS ON INSTRUCTION
FROM THE PROS ...TDI FIELD MANUAL", and spend some time with it.

If you spend some time learning the concepts in these two resources, you will be well on your way to unlocking the amazing potential that a TDI can offer.

Having a VLF machine, such as a Minelab Equinox 600, for checking targets can be very helpful to avoid digging iron when you eventually start looking for gold.

Good luck!

Charles

Posted by: filternozzle
Date: September 30, 2018 01:50AM
You will need to dig out large iron as it could be masking wanted targets.

Happy Hunting
Minelab: GPX-5000, GPX-4500. Whites Pulse Scan TDI. Nexus: MP, Standard Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus: Silver King, DMC, DMC II, DMC-IIB & DMC IIBa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login