Findmall.com

"AT MAX, AT PRO, AT GOLD Forum"

Welcome! Log In Register
Bad Coil on AT Max?
Posted by: BLStone68
Date: October 08, 2017 06:20PM
Got my AT Max yesterday. I picked up a used GTA 350 last month to try out but really never used it.

So this AT Max is pretty much my first detector. I think this is common sense but just wanted to double check.

Very First Time I turned it on it started beeping like crazy, cursor starts hitting targets.
This was indoors appox 3 foot from the floor and 5 foot from a wall.

I took it outside and turned it on again and the same thing happened. even pointing the coil straight up in the air and turn it on, it still would flip out.

I tried the sensitivity and found I have to turn it down to 2 bars to get it to stop.

But even after that, if I easily shake the detector, it beeps with the shakes.
If I wiggle the coil wire it beeps.
If I tap on the coil with my finger it beeps.

This is a bad coil right? :sad:

Re: Bad Coil on AT Max?
Posted by: Parkologist
Date: October 08, 2017 06:57PM
connector is seated in well? they are a major pain

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: October 08, 2017 08:58PM
2x
That's my question as well.

Parkologist

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Date: October 08, 2017 09:03PM
Parkologist
I think so, Even though it seemed easy to assemble, I had the Garrett video on and paused step by step to make sure I did everything like Steve Moore did. :lol:

I been trying different things all day. I've connected and disconnected it a bunch of times.
I even tried not connecting the coil to the stem, and with the coil not connected to the stem and holding it in my hand, I can tap my finger on the coil and it beeps.
It's starting to seem like I'm just not meant to have this hobby. :(
I'm going to contact the dealer tomorrow an see if they can at least send me a new coil.

Posted by: Dancer
Date: October 09, 2017 06:51AM
Take out that 350 while you're waiting. You will be pleased. Let us know, ok.
Dancer

Posted by: Waterdog
Date: October 09, 2017 09:33AM
Or Bad machine Never know what is under your coil because the numbers are always jumping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjHyNBhQQEo

Date: October 09, 2017 10:36AM
I called Garrett and they are sending me a new stock coil, I should have it in a few days. :smile:

I got a 4.5" Sniper coil and I put that on my machine this morning, seems to be working fine. Even on full sensitivity it doesn't make a sound.

Posted by: Dang
Date: October 09, 2017 02:23PM
In and outside my house just about every metal detector (and I have had a lot!) went nutzo. I would have to crank the sensitivity way down.
But my newest detector (ATPro) behaves marvelously out there. Just wish I had more time to go hunting. That's even more frustrating.

Posted by: Grunter
Date: October 09, 2017 09:06PM
Not being flip but you can't GB the Max indoors. If you didn't GB properly outside it is going to act crazy. I thought I had the same problem when I got my machine. The fine folks at Garrett sent me another coil and when I put it on my machine same behavior. I then spend time making adjustments and I eliminated most of the noise and the VDI wandering. When you get a good tone you have to really slow down your swing and pass over the target a number of times to verify. I took the Max out this evening in a yard I have pounded with my ATP and ETRAC and I found a 1912 and 1918 wheat in the same hole with 4-5 nails and a bottle cap The depth was 8-10". Take your time this machine is a winner.

Date: October 12, 2017 11:37AM
Got the new Coil this morning and it seems to be working just fine :smile:
And that's even after the FedEx man threw the box about 15 feet up on to my porch so he wouldn't have to walk up the steps :wacko:
I did a bench test with it outside on my back porch with a few coins and everything seems to be just fine.
My area has been getting hit with a bad storm all morning so I'm still debating on going out.. :unsure:

Posted by: jim tn
Date: October 12, 2017 12:41PM
Glad it all worked out. Now go out and get you some! HH jim tn

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: October 12, 2017 08:34PM
Fantastic news! Look forward to your review and finds.

BLStone68
Got the new Coil this morning and it seems to be working just fine :smile:
And that's even after the FedEx man threw the box about 15 feet up on to my porch so he wouldn't have to walk up the steps :wacko:
I did a bench test with it outside on my back porch with a few coins and everything seems to be just fine.
My area has been getting hit with a bad storm all morning so I'm still debating on going out.. :unsure:

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login