Findmall.com

"AT MAX, AT PRO, AT GOLD Forum"

Welcome! Log In Register
ATMax and the elevated nail test
Posted by: dan b
Date: November 29, 2017 05:20PM
Has anyone tried the elevated nail test with their ATMax? I'd sure link to see a video before I pull the trigger.

Re: ATMax and the elevated nail test
Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: November 29, 2017 06:28PM
Hi Dan,

Not sure what you mean by elevated nail test. Do you mean two nails higher than the coin that sits in between?

dan b
Has anyone tried the elevated nail test with their ATMax? I'd sure link to see a video before I pull the trigger.

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Date: November 29, 2017 08:08PM
Exactly. It's a tough test. My ATPro fails.

Date: November 29, 2017 08:25PM
provide me with more specifics and I will try it with my Max and 5x8 coil.

I never done this test so just wondering what the "standard" test is for something of this nature?

What spacing (inch wise) should the two rusty nails and the silver dime be? Thanks - Jim

dan b
Exactly. It's a tough test. My ATPro fails.

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Posted by: wyohunter99
Date: November 29, 2017 08:32PM
Date: November 29, 2017 08:34PM
And that test is with the stock 8.5x11 coil! With the 5x8 coil it is a beast in the iron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 08:44PM by wyohunter99.

Date: November 29, 2017 08:48PM
Sorry for ruining your fun Jim!!!

Date: November 29, 2017 09:18PM
That's close to what I had in mind. However, turn those nails 90 degrees and move them closer to the coin. See what happens then, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Date: November 29, 2017 09:47PM
I’m not the one who made the video....

Date: November 29, 2017 09:55PM
Sorry, I should have directed that to Jim

Date: November 30, 2017 05:20AM
Actually, thank you for your assistance in locating the video. I have done tests but not like this one.

wyohunter99
Sorry for ruining your fun Jim!!!

Date: November 30, 2017 05:37AM
Dan,

I have no video for you, but I took my raised nail and mercury dime setup and change the nails 90 degrees like you asked.
I do have to say this severely challenged the Max in "seeing" the dime. I had to turtle crawl the coil over this setup. I ended (with my 5x8") to get a squeak of a high tone but it was ever so slight. But it was a decent repeatable squeaking high tone. TID #'s jumped in the range of 32, 45, 50. I would definitely investigate. This test made me realize how much is truly masked out in the field. If anyone hunts in heavy nails only to swing at a regular speed, they mine as well stay home. I am truly talking ever so slight movement of the coil hunting in the nails. One really has to be scanning that slow in order to pick up a situation like what you have outlined. Thanks Dan for this suggestion as I truly learned more about the operation of my Max.

AT Max Setup:
5x8" coil
7 bars of sensitivity
Zero iron disc
00 threshold
Zero Mode

dan b
That's close to what I had in mind. However, turn those nails 90 degrees and move them closer to the coin. See what happens then, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Date: November 30, 2017 08:02AM
I think we all get so caught up in worrying about depth that we forget that it is only one factor in the equation.

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

Date: November 30, 2017 10:33AM
Exactly. All the easy targets are basically gone. The non-ferrous amongst iron are still hiding.
Most will never scan as slow as what is needed to uncover the goods as this is very tedious. I do devote some hunts to turtle crawling through the iron and have made some nice older coin discoveries.
A ton of patients and not moving much is required.

dan b
I think we all get so caught up in worrying about depth that we forget that it is only one factor in the equation.

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

Posted by: hairymonsterman
Date: December 03, 2017 03:18PM
I think this is the 3D test your referring to. Listen to the clear audio, nail-coin-nail. https://youtu.be/onWfB02C4Rc

This detector cost about $250 less than the AT Max in the UK, i think the Max seriously lacks as a relic detector, checkout calabash diggers vids on it, very poor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login