Findmall.com

"AT MAX, AT PRO, AT GOLD Forum"

Welcome! Log In Register
Which Search Coil Are You Currently Using?
Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: November 30, 2017 01:23PM
I cut my teeth to metal detecting way back on the Garrett CX model, GTA, GTI, Ace Series, using concentric coils. The older models used the crossfire coils, which really worked great. Garrett then designed a new concept of DD coils which were and still blunted on both top/bottom, giving superior depth over previous DD models. In my fairly mild dirt I prefer the concentric coils over the DD coils, as they tend to get more accurate ID, especially on bottle caps and twist tops. I get better depth with the concentric coils 9" x 12" Concentric vs. 8.5" x 11" DD, possibly because it is slightly larger. On the downside, I have to do more narrow swings to cover that hot spot on the concentric coils, especially if I grid an area. I also find it easier to pinpoint with concentric coil.

To me, the ability to pick out good signals amongst a lot of trash is not so much different between the 2 types of coils. The best separation coil is always the smaller coil. And the 5" x 8" does a great job at that.

I am going to get a 6.5" x 9" PROformanc concentric coil and do some testing with it. I am interested to see if in fact I get better results with the 5" x 8" DD coil, which I use often, especially when hunting in the woods vs. 6.5" x 9".

I love using the 6.5" x 9" concentric coil in parks using the ACE Series.

If anyone has any experience using any of the after market coils, it would be interesting to see how they work on the AT Series, especially on the latest release.....the AT Max.

Re: Which Search Coil Are You Currently Using?
Posted by: Southwind
Date: November 30, 2017 02:03PM
prophylactic coil? Oh PROformanc. Whew! :surprised:

I've always used my 5x8 on the AT Pro. I've got both small coils for my Racer 2 & Impact but wasn't impressed with either.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: wyohunter99
Date: November 30, 2017 02:11PM
5x8, 8.5x11 and just got a NEL Storm

Posted by: jim tn
Date: November 30, 2017 05:20PM
8.5 x 11 and Nel Sharpshooter. HH jim tn

Posted by: HanoverDigger
Date: November 30, 2017 06:15PM
Beginning with the stock coil for now...may add a few in the future.

* White's Mxt* Nautilus 2b w/ GG DMC headphones * Garrett At Max*Lesche Piranah* Garrett propointer* The "bomb" sheath w/Lesche digger* Deteknix W6 pro headphones* Oldest coin 1776 2 Reale

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: December 01, 2017 11:37AM
I had the 8.5x11 the other day but the love of my life (5x8) is back on :rofl:

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Posted by: Albert
Date: December 01, 2017 08:24PM
Have the 5x8, 6x9 and the cors 6.5x9.5 which took a dump . I was really liking that coil too. Currently I have the Garrett 6x9 concentric coil on the at max. Starting to like it and I can pinpoint with it just like a dd coil. Haven’t used 8.5x11 stock coil. Still in the wrapper. I hunt real trashy sites so I haven’t used it yet.

Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: December 01, 2017 10:38PM
I ordered a 6.5 x 9 concentric coil and am looking forward to trying it out.

Posted by: basstrackerman
Date: December 02, 2017 04:18AM
Sure is alot of Nel/cors coils failing.. mine, yours, and have read several on the forums. Can't remember if I ever had a detech coil fail but I've had a couple Nel coils fail..

Retired...happy...been detecting since 1978. Bill

Posted by: Albert
Date: December 02, 2017 10:16AM
Yes . The problem is you have to send them back to Ukraine or wherever they are made to have them repaired. Cost more money and time than to just throw them in the trash . I’m going to try and stick with oem coils

Posted by: sparkster
Date: December 15, 2017 09:27AM
I put the 5 x 8 coil on my pro about 700 hours ago and have never taken it off. I detect mostly sports fields, parks and curb strips, with a little desert gold prospecting thrown in just for kicks. This coil has found 75 rings, and 1500.00 in clad over this period.

The AT pro to me, is the best bang for the buck you can get in a metal detector. Once you become one with this detector, the sky is the limit. You will know beyond any reasonable doubt when you are one with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login