Findmall.com

Minelab SD, GP, & GPX Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
New GPX user
Posted by: Digger70pa
Date: February 26, 2018 08:24AM
I got a GPX 4500 and used it for the first time Saturday. It was a eye opening experience. I had a friend set it up for civil war relic hunting. It's deeper than anything I've ever used. I had the factory 11" DD coil on it. I found bullets below the plow line on top of and into the clay. It came with a 15"/12" SEF coil. What are you guys thoughts about that coil? My friend was using a Ultimate 15" DD coil that day and did really well also. Thanks

From The Great Appalachian Valley Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors.

Re: New GPX user
Posted by: cookie58
Date: February 26, 2018 02:08PM
Hey. I haven't heard from you in a while. Are you using the stock dd coil on the GPX?

Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: February 26, 2018 03:29PM
The 11 inch is a great coil so is the SEF 12 X 15. I have been using the GPX detectors for about seven years now great machines. Use them at the DIV hunts each. The best thing I can say to you is go slow and when you think you are going cut that in half. The machine is good but it needs time to receive the signal. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Old California
Date: February 26, 2018 09:47PM
Congratulations with getting a GPX, I agree very deep for relic hunting even with the 11" DD.

I'm running a GPX 5000, very similar to yours. After experimenting with different coils, both mono and DD. Settled with the stock 11" DD and Commander 5" x 10" DD, both are great but the 11" DD is used about 90% of the time.

Weight is an important factor, anything bigger then eventually get sloppy and tuckered out.

By far my deepest detector, especially in mineralized soil. Discrimination is pretty good, extremely smooth too.

Good luck,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: February 27, 2018 10:13AM
Yes i'm using the stock 11" DD coil now to get used to the machine.

From The Great Appalachian Valley Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors.

Date: February 27, 2018 10:17AM
Old California
Congratulations with getting a GPX, I agree very deep for relic hunting even with the 11" DD.

I'm running a GPX 5000, very similar to yours. After experimenting with different coils, both mono and DD. Settled with the stock 11" DD and Commander 5" x 10" DD, both are great but the 11" DD is used about 90% of the time.

Weight is an important factor, anything bigger then eventually get sloppy and tuckered out.

By far my deepest detector, especially in mineralized soil. Discrimination is pretty good, extremely smooth too.

Good luck,
Paul
Thanks for the info buddy. This thing is a depth monster. I have to use the harness with it or i'm done after about ten minutes. I'm going to try the 15" coil today after work. I'll post my finds later tonight. HH Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login