Findmall.com

Civil War Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
how long did it take to find your 1st civil war relic?
Posted by: maxxkatt
Date: June 21, 2018 12:37PM
How long did it take you in an estimate of hours did it take you to find your first civil war bullet?

Or any other civil war relic?

I am using an Nox 800 and have adjusted my tone breaks to make bullets ring out loud and clear.

How much research do you do of areas near civil war battle fields?

I have done a lot of research and found some areas near the battle fields that I have permissions. I figure now it is just a matter of putting in the time and careful searching since I know I am hunting where some of the battles actually took place in 1864. I plan to devote my summer searching the easier places and in the fall and winter hunt the areas that are 1-2 feet high in weeds.

Re: how long did it take to find your 1st civil war relic?
Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: June 21, 2018 01:49PM
Took me 2 years to find my first cannon ball---then boom, boom.

Same way with first gold nugget--then 4oz in a short time.

Posted by: Digger70pa
Date: June 21, 2018 03:49PM
I was lucky. I had old diggers take me when I first got into relic hunting. I had no idea what I was doing either. I mean I was put on prime spots & couldn't find anything but nails. My first civil war relic was a US belt plate. It's been one hell of a trip since then. I did start finding bullets & buttons after that. Stay at it read about what happened in your area. Relics will turn up. The hardest thing is finding the first bullet after that it gets lots easier. After thousands it's like almost easy. Not saying it is but I've been very fortunate to live in a civil war rich area. Good luck & happy hunting.

From The Great Appalachian Valley Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 03:52PM by Digger70pa.

Posted by: maxxkatt
Date: June 21, 2018 06:35PM
Thanks for the info. I live in North Atlanta so 40 minutes from Peachtree Creek battle area, about same for Lake Alatoona area, Pickets mill area and from there up to Chattanooga anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours. So I have the places to go if I get the right research done and get my butt out there hunting.

John

Posted by: brianc577
Date: June 21, 2018 06:38PM
I was 15 years old. It was 1986 and I had a radio shack special. I dug a finial, then some how a group of dropped items. All bullets! I was hooked. 32 dropped bullets, then also the balls, it was buck and balls!

Posted by: HanoverDigger
Date: June 21, 2018 06:57PM
Probably within minutes after getting to my aunt and uncle's property up in Chancellorsville. I used a rental Fisher detector and found a complete Schenkle shell. Many relics came out before they passed. I was bitten real hard by the relic bug. The old property is now The Battlefield Country Store.

Nautilus 2b* Garrett At Max* Equinox 600* Lesche Piranah* Garrett ZLynk pinpointer* The "bomb" sheath w/Lesche digger* Oldest coin 1776 2 Reale

Posted by: TH'er
Date: June 25, 2018 12:01AM
My grandparents would sometimes find bullets on the family farm that I now own and I have the two cannon balls that my grandfather plowed up. When I became old enough to go out and drive in the milk cows, I too would find bullets in cow paths and where the hogs had been rooting. I had never heard of a metal detector. When I bought my first as a young adult I was immediately hooked. I found over 400 bullets there, and have even found relics in my yard at the old house. My relatives owned the surrounding farms which gave me about 700 more acres to hunt. My wife and I finished off a 12’ X 21’ room at the house we own in town to display the things I have since dug up at various places. Here there are over eight thousand bullets plus buckles, buttons, cannon balls, etc. Also, have two crates of items under the house of unidentified or things deemed not good enough to display. Now our farm and the surrounding areas have been made into a National Historical Site for the Civil War action there. I have a letter from the Dept. of Interior stating that my land will not be restricted for my use. I still occasionally find relics there.

Posted by: brianc577
Date: June 25, 2018 06:14PM
Battle areas are great, but find old house sites, especially in your area. Most all my brass is from house sites.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: June 30, 2018 09:29AM
It's nice of the Feds to allow you the use of your OWN land.

Posted by: Cajuncoinhunter
Date: July 02, 2018 02:59PM
I love this topic and cant wait for all the responses....

When I was about 14 years old in 1978, I was plowing a field with a JD 4020 in Louisiana. Yep, we worked back then. No Xbox or Playstation ! I remember I had gotten some barbed wire caught up in the disks and was stopped to cut it out. As i was kneeling to get the mess out of the plow, I saw what appeared to be an old bottle cap in the dirt next to me. I curiously flipped it over, wasnt sure what it was, rubbed dirt away with my finger and could read eventually read CSA on the front of the button. I really didnt know what it meant. I showed it to my dad and the rest is history.

There is a CW battle site less than one mile away from where i was.

CCH.

Southern Louisiana Metal Detecting
Findmall Civil War Forum - Moderator
Whites, Fisher & Minelab Metal Detectors

Posted by: Elton
Date: July 02, 2018 06:27PM
TH'er
My grandparents would sometimes find bullets on the family farm that I now own and I have the two cannon balls that my grandfather plowed up. When I became old enough to go out and drive in the milk cows, I too would find bullets in cow paths and where the hogs had been rooting. I had never heard of a metal detector. When I bought my first as a young adult I was immediately hooked. I found over 400 bullets there, and have even found relics in my yard at the old house. My relatives owned the surrounding farms which gave me about 700 more acres to hunt. My wife and I finished off a 12’ X 21’ room at the house we own in town to display the things I have since dug up at various places. Here there are over eight thousand bullets plus buckles, buttons, cannon balls, etc. Also, have two crates of items under the house of unidentified or things deemed not good enough to display. Now our farm and the surrounding areas have been made into a National Historical Site for the Civil War action there. I have a letter from the Dept. of Interior stating that my land will not be restricted for my use. I still occasionally find relics there.

Sure would enjoy seeing a pic of your display area

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login