Findmall.com

Civil War Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Civil War Projectile Brooke ? 6.5", 60lb. 12 1/2" tall.
Posted by: skippers
Date: September 11, 2018 10:12AM
Can anyone tell me the type of projectile this one is? I have been thinking it was a Read, but now believe it is a Confederate Brooke.
Any Idea of the value? It weighs 60 pounds, is 12 1/2" tall and about 6.5" inches in diameter.

"Seek and ye shall find."

Re: Civil War Projectile Brooke ? 6.5", 60lb. 12 1/2" tall.
Posted by: Confetrit
Date: September 15, 2018 08:05PM
Skippers, very nice artillery shell. From what I can tell from my reference book: Civl War Projectiles Ii Small Arms & Field Artillery by W. Reid McKee - M.E. Mason, Jr. your shell appears to be a Confetrit' CSA solid bolt -pointed nose READ pattern, short size. Page 117 second shell pictured in pages middle. Also diagram on page 141 top left corner of page. Did you find this?

Re: Civil War Projectile Brooke ? 6.5", 60lb. 12 1/2" tall.
Posted by: rlchntr
Date: September 15, 2018 11:44PM
Sorry Confedrit, it does look like the Read you pointed out but I'm thinking it is a variety of a Brooke 7" shell. Given the size and weight of skipper's shell, the way the copper sabot is attached and the fact that it accepts a fuse plug it could not be the Read solid bolt. Civil War Artillery expert Jack Melton Jr. lists several patterns of the Confederate Brooke shells on his website. A few are similar to skipper's.

- Gary

Gary - Central Virginia
Recovering & preserving history for future generations
White's: Blue & Gray Pro 6000/DI Pro SL XL Pro 4900 DL Max MXT All Pro Garrett: AT Pro AT Gold C&G Technology Inc: VLF Wildcat Lynx Lots of coils Pro-pointer AT Gray Ghost headphones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2018 11:45PM by rlchntr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login