Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Should silicone sealer be used on the housing gasket?
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 01, 2017 10:49AM
Jim Koski
I find silicone sealer is required on the "o" rings on my Excalibur should silicone also be used on the gasket and other cable connectors on the CTX 3030?

No. there are some applications of O-rings that need silicone but nothing on the CTX meets that need. I know some people use it, but its not needed and it can make things worse. lubing an o-ring is only for the type, such as the battery tubes on an excal. IS a captured o-ring that must slide into a housing. The lube is only so that it stays in its channel during install, so that it doesnt try to get pulled out, rolled, twisted. etc.

All the seals on the CTX are flat compression seals (although they are not effective enough). Putting lube on these seals does nothing to improve its seal and it will cause sand, dirt, hair, etc stick to it and makes it harder to clean thoroughly during battery replacement.

If I could make Minelab change there design, the battery would have a wide, flat base instead of the blade style. The o-ring would also be a standard o-ring (but thicker) and not some weird-shaped thing. Lastly, the compression latches would be stainless instead of plastic. There should be a solid, stiff feel when you seat the latches on compression o-ring. The CTX latches often feel like zero compression... at least on the old model units I have used. I haven't had the new improved system in my hands.

Re: Should silicone sealer be used on the housing gasket?
Posted by: greenmeanie
Date: December 01, 2017 12:19PM
MINELAB says not to so I don't.
Just check your seal for nicks I change mine yearly anyways.
Make sure no dirt is in the grooves I also check the seal for the port in back.
Also if you hunt SALT I would pull the connector for the coil and clean it once in awhile too.

XP DEUS
NOX 800

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 12:20PM by greenmeanie.

Re: How waterproof is the CTX 3030?
Posted by: squareman
Date: January 24, 2018 09:01PM
I just bought the CTX 3030, yet according to what I have read in the CTX 3030 Handbook by Andy Sabisch, the CTX is waterproof up to 10 feet. Also, there are some instructional videos on the CTX on the Minelab website. I found one that has to do on how to make your CTX ready for the water. Hope this helps.

Posted by: EAvila
Date: February 02, 2018 01:24AM
For those looking to improve on the water proof-ness, the correct o-ring for the battery is a 2.5mmx78mm. I know there are those elsewhere saying 79 or 80mm, but I got 77, 78, and 79 and the 78 is the best fit (though the others will work). 79 is a bit too long, and the 77 was a bit tight and needed to stretch to fit in the groove.

Regarding silicone grease, a very light coat once in a while (whenever you clean the o-ring) helps to keep the o-ring from drying out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 01:26AM by EAvila.

Posted by: LawrencetheMDer
Date: February 04, 2018 04:22PM
I put Tampons in my recharging battery pack in the event of water entry - unfortunately, the 7-11 didn't carry super-absorbent Tampons (take apart and use absorbent material). The Cashier did look at me kind of funny when I bought them. Also, good advice to use the back-up/ 2x battery pack in the water in stead of the recharging battery pack.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: February 04, 2018 06:18PM
LawrencetheMDer
I put Tampons in my recharging battery pack in the event of water entry - unfortunately, the 7-11 didn't carry super-absorbent Tampons (take apart and use absorbent material). The Cashier did look at me kind of funny when I bought them. Also, good advice to use the back-up/ 2x battery pack in the water in stead of the recharging battery pack.

Thats a really good idea to use a super absorbant material for that "just in case" a few drops get in (like my only leak was). If I had done that, I would never have had corroded terminals.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: February 04, 2018 06:57PM
Yep. VERY good idea.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: chappy(IN)
Date: February 04, 2018 11:54PM
Mine leaked almost a year ago and this is what I do now. I ran across this video from robinb. I did what he suggested and I have not had any leaks since. :clapping: https://youtu.be/Ce26MAuqnS4 . Now he puts a small strip of absorbent material around the inside of the battery compartment. I use Corrosion X on the terminals to help protect them from damage. The silicone grease is a toss up some say do, some say don't. It's mainly to hold the o-ring place and only use very thin coat. The silicone will attract sand so the o-ring must be very clean.

Chappy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login