Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Repair of broken mounting tangs on 11" coil?
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: February 07, 2018 07:49PM
VERY cool stuff, bigelow!

I will add one thing here that may be of help...

IF you know the two materials you are bonding, I suggest a call to the Henkel corporation, business division. They are the makers of Loctite products. During my research for producing my CTX rods, I had several very long, detailed conversations with their technical/engineering group, and they were immensely helpful in educating me, and helping me to find the proper, ideal Loctite adhesive for the materials I am bonding, and the application for which I'm using the materials. If you know the material that the exterior of the coil is made of (I'm sure someone does), and if you know the material you will be using to make your "coil tangs/coil ears" with, then the guys at Loctite/Henkel will help you choose the proper adhesive for that application.

Just a thought...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: robinb
Date: February 07, 2018 10:25PM
bigelow
I 3d printed some for my spare coil but have yet to affix them I may be able to print you one and send it to you if you want to try still experimenting with different plastics but ABS should be strong enough.

Could you email the file, I have a 3D printer.

Great ideas

Posted by: bklein
Date: February 07, 2018 10:35PM
I bought a black pvc pipe and cut a section off it, made a cut in it, and then heated it up with a heat gun to form a part just like in that photo.
I then glued it to the coil housing - but I don’t remember what glue. I described it on another forum, but it won’t come off. If it does I just try a different glue...
I think I used JBWeld and then either painted it or covered it with pvc glue. edit

Posted by: bigelow
Date: February 08, 2018 12:19AM
sent you a pm
robinb

I 3d printed some for my spare coil but have yet to affix them I may be able to print you one and send it to you if you want to try still experimenting with different plastics but ABS should be strong enough.

Could you email the file, I have a 3D printer.

Great ideas

:minelab: Equinox 800 :minelab: Excalibur II :minelab: CTX3030 :tesoro: Compadre :fisher: CZ3D :fisher: F75LTD :fisher: Gold Bug Pro :whites: M6 XP Deus :garrett: Propointer

Date: February 08, 2018 01:34AM
Posted by: jas415
Date: February 09, 2018 08:46PM
I just repaired the ears on a middle sized Garret coil for a buddy. Took some 1/4" plexiglass, cut a small rectangle about the same size of the ear, then took three nylon washers, cut them to fit inside the indentations for the bolts on the sides of the 'half' ear that was left. Then used Loctite 'plastic' bonding and it appears to be really solid. It aint pretty but it is pretty strong.

Posted by: Misfit Detection
Date: April 28, 2018 01:42AM
Hi guys and gals! Im new and just wondered if any one here has had a broken wire problem on a CTX 3030 Smart Coil? Both myself and a friend have a useless 11" coil

Date: April 28, 2018 04:03AM
yes, several times.

two areas where this happens is where cable exits bottom shaft.
that area is very sharp.
so the exit needs to be filled, also putting a little ducting over cable here helps.

the other area is the cable flex's too much on coil.

wrapping almalgementing tape round the cable over the strain relief stops as much flex.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login