Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Question about the sensitivity readout...
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: November 13, 2017 01:47AM
Hey everyone...

Took my CTX out on its "maiden voyage" today. Let's just say I'm highly impressed. Very happy that a lot of the knowledge I gained about using Explorers over the past 7 years translates over pretty well to the CTX. First coin at my beaten-to-death park was a Sacagawea dollar; haven't dug one of those in ages and was a nice "inaugural" coin! Second, and last coin, was a 1920 wheat cent, perfectly vertical/on edge, at a measured 8" deep. There's a story to tell with that dig, but I'll do that later! ;) HIGHLY impressed with this machine...

Anyway, one thing I'm confused about...

Here is a screen picture from my CTX today.

I was running auto +3, as you can see. What I don't understand is the white and green numbers. I THOUGHT the white was the sensitivity I'm actually running, and the green was the suggested sensitivity. But, as you can see, the white number is saying "28" (which I am almost sure is the sensitivity the machine is currently running at), and yet the green number is saying "20" -- the "suggested sensitivity," right? The reason I am confused is, if the "suggested sensitivity" is 20, I would have thought "auto +3" would mean the machine would run at 23. But it's not, it's at 28.

Can anyone explain?

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Re: Question about the sensitivity readout...
Posted by: sprchng
Date: November 13, 2017 06:55AM
You will find the sensitivity it appears to be running at is often more than the preset.
Most of the time in my dirt what is suggested is single digits to maybe 12 and the CTX still manages to get into the mid teens.
It's a decent , quick method to judge the mineralization in the ground.

Date: November 13, 2017 08:13AM
Gotcha, sprchng.

Thanks!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 13, 2017 09:06AM
yeah, you have the definition of the 2 numbers correct, but it doesnt always make sense why the actual is so much higher than the suggested. I just let it do its thing.

Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: November 13, 2017 09:52AM
sgoss66
Hey everyone...

Took my CTX out on its "maiden voyage" today. Let's just say I'm highly impressed. Very happy that a lot of the knowledge I gained about using Explorers over the past 7 years translates over pretty well to the CTX. First coin at my beaten-to-death park was a Sacagawea dollar; haven't dug one of those in ages and was a nice "inaugural" coin! Second, and last coin, was a 1920 wheat cent, perfectly vertical/on edge, at a measured 8" deep. There's a story to tell with that dig, but I'll do that later! ;) HIGHLY impressed with this machine...

[attachment 351797 sensitivityCTX.JPG]

I was running auto +3, as you can see. What I don't understand is the white and green numbers. I THOUGHT the white was the sensitivity I'm actually running, and the green was the suggested sensitivity. But, as you can see, the white number is saying "28" (which I am almost sure is the sensitivity the machine is currently running at), and yet the green number is saying "20" -- the "suggested sensitivity," right? The reason I am confused is, if the "suggested sensitivity" is 20, I would have thought "auto +3" would mean the machine would run at 23. But it's not, it's at 28.

Can anyone explain?

Steve
The white number is the actual sensitivity in the machine is running, the green number is the recommended sensitivity setting. You can double-check this by going into your manual sensitivity setting and adjust the level, the white number changes as you make the adjustments. The green number will change according to the ground conditions or emi. I think the auto sensitivity setting overrides the processor that the machine uses to determine optimum performance. I'm out hunting right now and I switched over to Auto sensitivity - 3 it's still running 4 4oints higher than what the machine recommends. At + 3 it's running nine points higher then the green number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 10:18AM by Dan(NM).

Date: November 13, 2017 01:10PM
Ok fellas, thanks. Sounds like mine is not the only one.

This thing runs so stable at auto +3, I can't imagine why you'd EVER want to run it as low as the green number shows...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Date: November 13, 2017 01:46PM
sgoss66
Ok fellas, thanks. Sounds like mine is not the only one.

This thing runs so stable at auto +3, I can't imagine why you'd EVER want to run it as low as the green number shows...

Steve

I know some users swear by running manual as hot as possible. I have checked many highly broken and iffy target signals. I almost always hunt in auto +3. To date, I have never had a single iffy target that cleared up by switching to manual. Just throwing out my personal observation, YMMV.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: November 13, 2017 06:18PM
Yep,same here. Although I have found some good targets using Manual,literally 95% of them have come from Auto+3. I don’t think it’s like “semi auto” like an Explorer,it’s a different deal between the two in the CTX. It doesn’t seem to just take the Manual level and crank it down like an Explorer might,there’s something else in play,or a whole different process. In today’s conditions,with sometimes hundreds of years worth of rotting iron and small flake,Manual sens seems to grab ALL of that stuff,giving you a very chirpy experience. Auto has basically NONE of that,yet is able to reach very deep. Manual MAY get a very fringe target but overall,you’ll be listening to a symphony of tiny falsing,when in Auto you can pay attention to the stuff that REPEATS. It doesn’t have to be a banging quarter signal...it just has to repeat within your pattern with numbers that are somewhere close. If you stick to that,you’ll do well. I’ve had signals get WAY WORSE going into Manual to check them,especially with the 17” coil. That’s because now it’s paying attention to all that little stuff,whereas in Auto it was just latching onto the one good target. Highly conductive targets will be the CTXs bread and butter,expect to eat well.:smile:

Date: November 14, 2017 12:04AM
Thanks for the additional info, Jason and IDX.

I always ran my Explorer as hot as I could run it. I just go used to "mentally filtering out" all the noise, treating it as "white noise."

I am going to run for awhile in auto +3. I think what I'll do is re-check all of my deep targets found in auto+3 by switching over to maxed-out manual, to see what the effects are...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 16, 2017 05:22AM
Steve..... i run manual 23 and my machine recommends around 13 most of the time in salt water. It makes slight adjustments in fluffy to hard pan. However, in auto+3 things change. It changes a good bit more......my machine might run 26..... with a recommended 18. So i wonder if in manual its a fixed GB ..... but in auto it isnt? Not so sure if its running GB constantly changing for me if its a good thing...... it may be running a PLUS GB missing tiny gold.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: November 16, 2017 06:47PM
dewcon4414
Steve..... i run manual 23 and my machine recommends around 13 most of the time in salt water. It makes slight adjustments in fluffy to hard pan. However, in auto+3 things change. It changes a good bit more......my machine might run 26..... with a recommended 18. So i wonder if in manual its a fixed GB ..... but in auto it isnt? Not so sure if its running GB constantly changing for me if its a good thing...... it may be running a PLUS GB missing tiny gold.

You shouldnt be using the ground balance feature with your soils! 99% of the time ground balance isnt needed, and using it when not needed will actually hurt your performance. The auto sensitivity is used in place of a ground balance. If things start getting too hot, it lowers the sens level and raises it when things get quiet.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: November 17, 2017 07:06AM
Just search posts from “Digger”(Randy Horton) and scan them for this subject matter. He explains it quite well in detail. If you check the GB box in that particular menu,then it will be set for the patch of dirt where you perform the GB. If the ground matrix changes 10 feet away,you have effectively made your performance worse. Leaving the GB box UNCHECKED will allow the automatic ground tracking to work as designed,it’s balancing things on the fly,and adjusting Sensitivity accordingly when in Auto.
Most people will never hunt a site that requires it being manually ground balanced...a very few will. ML could have easily just not even given the user to Manually GB the machine,but they don’t roll like that.:smile:

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: November 17, 2017 11:23AM
sgoss66
The reason I am confused is, if the "suggested sensitivity" is 20, I would have thought "auto +3" would mean the machine would run at 23. But it's not, it's at 28.

Mine also runs about 8 points higher than the suggested sensitivity in auto +3, usually mid 20's or higher. Wish they would give us an auto +4. +3 runs a little too quiet in my ground.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: Architex
Date: November 17, 2017 04:58PM
If you're after coins change the noise cancel channel to 6 - see if it helps depth. It does on mine.

The real treasure is in the marketing.

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / Equinox 800

Re: Question about the sensitivity readout...Rain check Steve...matt
Posted by: metalpopper
Date: November 30, 2017 07:41PM
sgoss66
Hey everyone...

[attachment 351797 sensitivityCTX.JPG]

Can anyone explain?

Steve

Hi Steve!.......just spotted this post to-night 1~12~2017

I don't have a CTX3030, but here's my take on your confusion:-

The screen showing WHITE 28......That is the level you've chosen to apply if/when, you use MANUAL SENS.

But you tell us that you are now running in AUTO-SENS. Plus 3.

That means the CTX is Auto sensing a level of 17 and adding your +3 extension i.e. 17 + 3 =20.....that's the green indicated level.......matt

p.s. So your ground STATUS is being assessed as 17.........which I think correlated with other postings you've made (?).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login