Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Lower rods for the CTX...
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: January 14, 2018 01:51AM
Jack --

Thank you for your post!

I am currently in the process of acquiring the necessary parts to assemble one rod, as a "test" to see how it goes. I should have the parts in a couple of days, and I will then have a feel for what the process for assembly is, and whether I am pleased with the build quality. IF I can get the assembly process ironed out, of high quality, and can acquire all the necessary parts and pieces cost-effectively, then I may be able to start selling some of them. It's still in the thinking/evaluating/planning stage, but I will absolutely report back to the forum periodically -- either in this thread, or another, new thread -- reporting on what I find out, and if I can begin selling some of them. I will have more info in the next week to ten days, or so. So, please hang tight, Jack, and I'll have more info available shortly.

Thanks!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Date: January 14, 2018 02:42AM
OR, Jack, did you just mean you would like three of the carbon-fiber tubes, NOT a completed rod?

Either way, I will be back in touch. I'm trying to see if the rods can be sourced cheaper than that $26.90 per rod...I think they can.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: jas415
Date: January 16, 2018 08:54AM
The huge market will be for aftermarket Equinox shafts where the coil cable is inside the shaft. In fact, the entire shaft with maybe some sort of offset where the grip is located. If the coil cable could be fed thru the shaft and exit maybe 3 to 5 inches below the handle grip, it would be a simple thing to swap out a coil. It could use the existing locking in place 'pins' near the grip also.

Date: January 16, 2018 12:13PM
jas --

You are right, there will be a lot of demand, I'd think, for Equinox shafts. They would be very different to build, though, given that they use those locking pins, etc.

Right now, despite the challenges of building CTX shafts, they STILL seem easier to me than what the Equinox ones would be. I suspect many folks will want to COMPLETELY change the Equinox shaft -- some wanting straight shafts, etc. etc.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: flysar
Date: January 16, 2018 01:02PM
My $6 travel rod.
Everything fits in a pack and I carry it onboard flights.
Has worked for land and water.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2352903,2352903#msg-2352903

Date: January 16, 2018 01:18PM
It's a really nice job, flysar, and it was my "plan B" if the carbon fiber build were to prove too difficult to work out. I'm HOPING to be able to make these CF rods relatively inexpensively, but we shall see. The only thing I worry about on a PVC build -- and why I really have pursued the CF route, is the "flex," especially when swinging the 17" coil...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: sprchng
Date: January 16, 2018 02:14PM
sgoss66
It's a really nice job, flysar, and it was my "plan B" if the carbon fiber build were to prove too difficult to work out. I'm HOPING to be able to make these CF rods relatively inexpensively, but we shall see. The only thing I worry about on a PVC build -- and why I really have pursued the CF route, is the "flex," especially when swinging the 17" coil...

Steve

Put your 17" on the stock rod and your others on the PVC. Flex is not a problem

Date: January 16, 2018 02:26PM
I guess that's possible, sprchng. If the CF route doesn't pan out, I will try this. BUT -- I'm pretty hopeful at this point that my CF project is going to work; it's coming along nicely.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: January 16, 2018 10:22PM
sgoss66
I guess that's possible, sprchng. If the CF route doesn't pan out, I will try this. BUT -- I'm pretty hopeful at this point that my CF project is going to work; it's coming along nicely.

Steve

First few tries might be discouraging. . If you keep at it and have the cash to invest hhopefully something turns out.
I will likely be selling shafts aswell. I have all components and will begin assembly after a business trip. Had a trial version in a thread here...
Been doing shafts for a couple years. It's a daunting task.. however, the ctx lower shaft is only 1 part that requires production

Date: January 17, 2018 04:11PM
Yep, that lower piece, where the coil attaches, that's the one that takes some work to get designed/produced!

I have all the parts to assemble a "prototype" as we speak; I will see how it goes, and go from there.

Good luck, stephenscool. Your shaft looks real good!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Date: January 23, 2018 01:36PM
Hi, all.

Just an update on the CTX rod project.

Thanks to tremendous help and advice from Jeff in NG and others, I have managed to source the carbon fiber tubes and clevises, so I have the "main parts" issue sorted out, as I mentioned earlier. I've spent the past week or so researching and acquiring the rest of the materials and "odds and ends" for final assembly of the prototype rod -- including rubber washers, adhesives, Dremel stuff for sanding/preparing glue joints and cutting the rods, etc. I spent some time speaking with some companies who produce adhesives to determine which adhesive is best for bonding carbon fiber to the clevis material, and after getting that figured out, I just got some of the proper adhesive ordered yesterday. So, within the next few days, I expect it to arrive, and I can begin assembly. I'll post pictures when I have the prototype finished. I'm really looking forward to the project; it looks like it's going to be a VERY cost-effective way to end up with the carbon-fiber CTX rods that I wanted/needed. NOT as cost-effective as the PVC options obviously, LOL, but a good "happy medium," I think.

Thanks all!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Re: Lower rods for the CTX. A telescopic version of lower shaft for my CTX3030
Posted by: david.di
Date: February 01, 2018 05:19PM
Posted by: EAvila
Date: February 01, 2018 05:50PM
sgoss66
Yep, that lower piece, where the coil attaches, that's the one that takes some work to get designed/produced!
Steve

Steve- I saw this and thought of your project:
Minelab ISO Rod Shaft End Replacement for Various Shafts for Metal Detector
Not sure if it will work for this, but it beats making them from scratch at least for low volumes.

Date: February 01, 2018 09:36PM
EAvila --

THANKS for thinking of me, and the project! I really appreciate it!

That particular end piece would not work as well for the CTX (i.e. for a lower rod which must allow the coil cable to run up the inside of the carbon-fiber tube). I have found a manufacturer who is now making the lower CTX rod ends for me (see the pictures, below, of one of these "rod ends" or "clevises" or "yokes" or whatever you want to call them, that I'm going to be using).

HOWEVER, this piece you found would work QUITE well for a number of other lower rods, including possibly an Equinox! I have not moved beyond making CTX rods in my mind, at this point. However, I am buying an Equinox, and will likely need at least one extra lower rod for it. So, this gives me something to think about... HMM! :)

Thank you sir! Your help is very much appreciated!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: chappy(IN)
Date: February 02, 2018 02:05AM
I want one :thumbup:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login