Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: My ctx wont detect a silver dollar with discrimination on number 1 line
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: January 29, 2018 12:29PM
sgoss66
Jason,

I think the OP is saying something different though. He's saying, if I understand correctly, that in Ferrous Coin mode, his silver dollar is IDing, and "target tracing," at 12-43, but will only give an audio response (despite the IDing numerically in an "open" part of his pattern) if he has the 1 FE line open between 40 and 48 CO.

Having the 1 FE line discriminated, while the target is registering a VDI at 12-43, should NOT cause a "null" in the audio response for that 12-43 target, is what he is saying.

This is indeed rather mysterious...

Steve

OK, thanks for clarifying. That is strange. I dug my last silver dollar in FE-Coin and it was on the 12 line and sounded off just fine.

Jayhop, have you tried a hard factory reset?

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: January 29, 2018 12:57PM
Jason --

Yours sounding off fine makes sense, though, as you (I am sure) had FE 1, CO 40-48ish open...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: jayhop
Date: January 29, 2018 02:13PM
Yes I did a Reset All, as the minelab tech recommend. Mine shows the dollars at 12.42 to 12.45 in ferrous coin also and will sound off if there is no discrimination on the 1.42 to 45 area.
But with that 1 line shaded out, no sound.

Date: January 29, 2018 02:19PM
I agree. Whether or not that's exactly what's happening or not thats the results.

Date: January 29, 2018 04:47PM
Yeah, Steve, you're right... I'm pretty sure I had that top row open now that you mention it. I'm going to have to play with this some when I get home tomorrow. I want to see if I can re-create this on mine.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: January 29, 2018 06:45PM
I just recreated this scenario and there is NO audio in FE/Coin with the first line disced out,exactly as the OP said. Reading is 12-42. Bizarre....
I run that section open regardless but what else are we missing because of things like this? Anything?

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: January 29, 2018 07:05PM
BTW Jay...thanks for catching this! It’s very interesting and a bit unsettling just because it CAN happen. Is it because it wants to automatically pile everything on the 12 line with the etrac and CTX? I personally run High Trash separation pretty much exclusively,but is THAT causing things to be missed somehow? I don’t see how,but...we didn’t see this before either!

Date: January 29, 2018 10:26PM
No problem, I just wish I had seen it sooner. I found a walking liberty half with my Fisher f75 2 months before I got my ctx. I haven't found any big silver since. That half is the coin I swung over my coil last week that let me know something was wrong. Then I used a Morgan and Peace dollar. If you discriminate the 6.45 area the silver will go silent but the target trace will be at the 12.45 area.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: January 30, 2018 10:29AM
jayhop --

When you said you searched and found other posts on this issue -- were the posts on the VERY ISSUE that you brought up, or were they only talking about how in some separation settings the larger coins don't hit on the "12 line?" Were they SPECIFICALLY talking about the issue you are discussing? I have never heard this one before, and if it's never been noticed before, it might be worth someone who has some contacts at Minelab letting them know...as it could possibly be something they could fix, and include in some future software update.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Date: January 30, 2018 10:49AM
Posted by: C&RHunter
Date: January 30, 2018 11:40AM
Here is a link from a post back in June of 2012. The big silver hitting in two locations, depending on which Target Separation was selected, was noticed. There were quite a number of other posts about this during that time. I believe the tone/no tone was also discussed at some point , but am not sure about that. The target ID chart was created as a result of this. Also, at some point I believe this was discussed with Minelab. For myself, all my programs, regardless of the Target Separation being used, will have the 1 (and 2) line opened. I do not want to miss a silver dollar. HH

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1728571,1729188#msg-1729188

Posted by: RichW
Date: January 30, 2018 03:55PM
I have found quite a few large silver rings water hunting. The big ones sound good but always give me a 1-40's. I get a great sounding tone air testing a silver dollar and a constant 1-41 read out. Air testing a silver half is another story. I only get a partial tone every 3rd or 4th pass and I never get a read out. Very strange.

Well....didn’t expect that!
Posted by: Kieth-Tx
Date: January 30, 2018 06:13PM
My buddy Rich called me today and told me of this issue. First thought was...BS. Just pulled out the CTX and in my primary beach program with a franklin half.....NOTHING! 8 Reale, Silver round....again...nothing. But a seated half and a Barber half did sound off but not with good depth. Checked my secondary beach program which is open on the upper right hand side of the screen....everything sounded off and with depth. Lesson learned.

Re: Well....didn’t expect that!
Date: January 30, 2018 07:47PM
This conversation reminds of a tip used to always give for the E-Trac. those who did lots of experimenting found out that you could could lower the disc line and it could help some conductive tagets respond. Those, deep, iffy (but repeatable), mixed targets that gave you an 16-45 response could go silent if you were using a disc line of 18 (or something along that idea). I had lots of people tell me it was BS, but I and others had seen it ourselves. It didn't make sense but it happened.

This "accepted but silent" must have something to do with the correlation of raw response, mode used and disc levels. At least we know about it and can make sure we take the steps to prevent it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login