Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Is this a coin, found on first outing with CTX
Posted by: jayhop
Date: February 08, 2018 06:12PM
It was 2 years ago but it was my first time using the CTX. It was found on the NC coast. I have done several searches but haven't seen anything like it. Any ideas?

Re: Is this a coin, found on first outing with CTX
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 08, 2018 06:42PM
I have no idea but I just wanted to say...Don’t throw it away! It LOOKS old and crudely made but until you know for sure,keep it! How have you been getting on with the CtX?

Date: February 08, 2018 06:59PM
It does look like a hammered coin but not sure.
As for the CTX, I have really enjoyed it. It did hurt my feelings a couple of weeks ago when I found I have been using it for 2 years with no chance at all of finding a silver half or dollar coin.
I hunt in Ferrous/coin with discrimination on line 1. But not anymore. The CTX will not sound off on a half or dollar with discrimination above the 42 to 47 area.
That makes me not happy.

Date: February 08, 2018 07:52PM
jayhop
It does look like a hammered coin but not sure.
As for the CTX, I have really enjoyed it. It did hurt my feelings a couple of weeks ago when I found I have been using it for 2 years with no chance at all of finding a silver half or dollar coin.
I hunt in Ferrous/coin with discrimination on line 1. But not anymore. The CTX will not sound off on a half or dollar with discrimination above the 42 to 47 area.
That makes me not happy.

I hear you,and lots of others found this out! Now that you know to have that open,it’ll be a bit more peace of mind. Good luck with the ID!

Posted by: chuckciao
Date: February 09, 2018 05:46PM
Looks like a COB coin possibly from Latin America! Google COB Coins!

Posted by: Weston05
Date: February 10, 2018 08:47AM
I just spent an hour looking through countless hammered coins, Latin American coins, and many 1400s-early 1700s European coins with no luck. I do believe it is a coin and a special one at that because I can't seem to find it. I hope you figure it out man sorry I tried :stars:

Posted by: Sand dog
Date: February 10, 2018 09:03AM
Hmm maybe a Knights Templar coin? Just a guess. Hope you find out what it is.

John

Posted by: Brianc
Date: February 10, 2018 09:11AM
can you try to do a touch of oil on it to bring out some more details. watch a youtube video aquachigger has a good video on cleaning coins.

CTX 3030
XP Deus
Whites V3i
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher f75

Date: February 10, 2018 09:14AM
After Chuck mentioned COBS I looked at a lot of them and have NO doubt it’s a coin also. WHAT kind it is may take some serious searching,but I’d think it’s a general and small consensus that you have a unique and potentially VERY valuable find there Jay. PLEASE keep us posted!!

Date: February 10, 2018 03:26PM
I do thank everyone for your help, it does resemble a cob. But I haven't been able to find a match. It has enough detail that I'm surprised we can't match it up. I found it on the beach in NC so its no telling where it came from.

Posted by: Hello
Date: February 11, 2018 05:49PM
Try the Numista site someone might know on there

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login