Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Detecting gold ring in surf question
Posted by: Stogger
Date: September 26, 2018 04:02PM
Does anyone have a feel for if or not a gold ring will still be within detection depth after 2 weeks in surf?

Thanks, Mike

Re: Detecting gold ring in surf question
Posted by: Kraemer
Date: September 26, 2018 05:16PM
I really can’t think of any reason why it couldn’t be detected. Great experiment idea though. Tides and current has to have an effect but to what extent I would only be guessing.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: September 26, 2018 05:41PM
Stogger
Does anyone have a feel for if or not a gold ring will still be within detection depth after 2 weeks in surf?

Thanks, Mike

LOL, how long is a piece of string?

Its absolutely impossible to answer. How deep is the sand? Has sand moved out? Has sand moved in? Has current or storm moved it? Tests conducted by curious detectorists have shown that even heavy gold rings can be moved surprisingly fast.

Posted by: utahshovelhead
Date: September 26, 2018 08:01PM
yeah, thats a tough one.
check your wind and wave patterns over the days past, if its been gentle then youd be fairly stable. But you know how the soft sand with water can sink your feet so a coin would sink into it as well. Also, check if there is any hard pan or clay below. The ring could settle onto that and stay put.

Date: September 29, 2018 11:21PM
Well..no find :( . A lady lost her wedding rings at Nags Head, so I drove down and gave it a try. The surf was rough and I could see how this moves the sand in waves! Was able to hit 2 low tides, and was able to search some in the first drop off. But there, the loose sand/shells were deep. Recovery would have been interesting if I actually got a hit.

Posted by: utahshovelhead
Date: September 29, 2018 11:35PM
Dont give up yet. keep checking every time the wind moves the sand around. I have seen a foot of sand moved off and then returned in just a good wind . Best time to hunt beaches, when the wind moves the sand off.

Date: September 29, 2018 11:43PM
Thanks! She lost it 2 weeks ago. Maybe go back again after surf is much lower (4 1/2 hour drive for me). See "CTX 3030 one tough detector in the rough surf!! ". The sand there is interesting: Sand on top and a shell conglomerate underneath that is hard to shovel through. But when the waves hit, the whole thing moves, sand and shells.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login