Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
EMI problem
Posted by: Bdlowder
Date: October 14, 2018 07:20PM
New to the CTX and visiting in Dayton Beach, Florida and tried to use the detector in a yard with a substation . It's making noises like crazy _yellow blotches all over the screen . I'm assuming this is emi I'm experiencing . I can't seem to get away from it even by lowering the sensitivity to A from +3 and volume to 22 . I've got several books but not enough experience with detectors to figure it out . I want to go to the beach while here so need to figure this out soon .
Anyone have a suggestion and what to expect at the beach if this can be tuned out ?
I used to live and S. Fl and there was underground electric systems installed everywhere ,so I got to believe the beach with all the condos will be very similar .

Re: EMI problem
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: October 22, 2018 03:57PM
Youve already stated the problem. BTW A+3 to A is not really lowering your sensitivity. If EMI is a problem, you need to put it in manual and really lower the sens. although, if you are that close to transformer, there would likely be nothing but the very lowest numbers to calm down the detector.

Don't worry about EMI in your yard when you are planning on using it at the beach. Just go there and put it in beach mode, manual sensitivity and go as high as possible until its just lightly falsing. Then dig everything that isnt iron.

Dry sand is like hunting on land. Wet sand needs a more little more refining. Saltwater you will likely need to enable seawater and adjust the sens. a little more.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: October 24, 2018 06:39AM
Because being in “Auto” still allows the machine to raise or lower the Sensitivity level by itself,even if you go to A down from A+3 it could STILL adjust the Sensitivity level too high on its own for the EMI conditions, is what Jason is saying. Manual Sensitivity will KEEP the level where your ears tell you to put it,and that is low enough so that the chattering and silliness stops.
You might find(very high chance that you WILL find) that EMI is the CTX’s Achilles heel. It does not like it. Noise cancelling out of it can be done sometimes,I’d say around my areas it works satisfactorily about 30% of the time. The other times the sensitivity must be put into Manual and lowered till it stops. If your coil is sitting still and you’re still getting a cursor bombing around the screen or splotchiness randomly appearing on the screen,you must lower it more. A small coil will help. If you are hunting deep coins(8”+) you want all the Sensitivity you can get,while at the same time remaining stable enough that you can interpret what the machine is saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2018 06:41AM by IDXMonster.

Posted by: cw3
Date: October 24, 2018 10:34AM
Did you do a noise cancel on machine? I says your new to ctx that is the first thing to do.

Date: October 24, 2018 12:17PM
cw3
Did you do a noise cancel on machine? I says your new to ctx that is the first thing to do.

This is a good point and even though most of us know about the noise cancel process,some may not. It is of course in the operators manual as to how it’s performed...

Date: November 04, 2018 05:21PM
Yep noise cancelled by touching coil to ground .I adjusted to manual and it did become usable . I'm new to this machine and to detecting as a whole but I read several of the books(like 6 of them ) . I am grasping it quickly but having to figure it out by doing as there isn't anyone I know around me that detects.
I keep seeing the black cursor showing me to dig with good numbers but there is a blue blob at the bottom of the screen -is this indicating 2 or more target -one under the other ? So far I've used it morre to take readings and haven't dug as much until I get more dependent . I purchased this particular model and paid for plenty for its value in discrimination ..I am like most hoping it is accurate enough to prevent a whole lot of digging up yards for stuff I don't want when I get it mastered . Is it capable of this from others using it - What is your opinion about the accuracy of the ctx-3030 ?

Posted by: cw3
Date: November 05, 2018 08:15AM
I've had my 3030 4 years its an incredible machine. I can not dig trash about 90 percent of the time. I dig trash when i think I'm smarter than the machine. Usually the people who complain about the ctx dont own one. I'm very happy with mine if it dies i'm getting another one. Usually the people that complain about the ctx don't own one or have ever used one.

The machine has a noise cancel button and a ground balance button. You need to look in the manual and do both at each location. Get the andy sabish book will help you learn the machine.

Post your location someone may live by you that can get you started.

The stuff showing up at bottom of screen is iron.

Date: November 06, 2018 12:26PM
Yep got Andy's Sabish Book and refer to it constantly but there are somethings that you just cant read ,you got to do them to figure it out .Actually I've read every popular book written about the ctx but still have some things not figured out because I just have not experienced them yet . It seems I am still building the foundation but so far I am impressed with the operation of the machine .
I already am hunting for a whites pulse scan because I think it will complement the cxt or at least allow me to maybe appreciate the cxt more ?

Date: November 06, 2018 05:33PM
BDL...where are you located?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login