Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: CTX Tones & Target ID's Unstable - Help Please. :confused:
Posted by: mattysiam
Date: November 18, 2018 09:07PM
Thanks for confirming, I'd have been amazed if it was a fake, because of the high quality product. I assumed it would come with the rechargeable battery. Probably my fault for not reading the item listing carefully enough, but, the listing could have been clearer and stated somewhere that it wasn't included. Anyway, I guess the price I paid reflected the fact the battery wasn't included, so no harm done.

What it came with...

1 x ctx 3030 METAL detector
11" Minelab Coil Cover,
Velcro Armstrap,
Alkaline Battery Pod,
11" ctx pro coil

Right, now to drop Minelab a line. I'll update her when I have an answer from Minelab, for anyone that's interested to see if it is a faulty coil, or something else.

Thanks.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: November 18, 2018 09:24PM
Please do let us know how this turns out in case others have an issue with theirs,it may help someone to figure their problem out more quickly. The LAST thing I want to do is be without this machine for ANY reason,it has been nothing short of amazing in every way.
Good luck!

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: November 18, 2018 10:52PM
It didn't come with the WM 10 (wireless audio module) either??----I think I would "steer clear" of that dealer in the future!-----Contact Minelab & let them know what is going on here.----I'm sure they don't want dealers selling stripped down versions of this great detector going out to unsuspecting customers.-----Back to your problem---it sounds to me like you have a bad coil.----Test your CTX with a known working coil----that's a very good "first step" to take.------Let us know how all this works out.
mattysiam
Thanks for confirming, I'd have been amazed if it was a fake, because of the high quality product. I assumed it would come with the rechargeable battery. Probably my fault for not reading the item listing carefully enough, but, the listing could have been clearer and stated somewhere that it wasn't included. Anyway, I guess the price I paid reflected the fact the battery wasn't included, so no harm done.

What it came with...

1 x ctx 3030 METAL detector
11" Minelab Coil Cover,
Velcro Armstrap,
Alkaline Battery Pod,
11" ctx pro coil

Right, now to drop Minelab a line. I'll update her when I have an answer from Minelab, for anyone that's interested to see if it is a faulty coil, or something else.

Thanks.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 19, 2018 08:40AM
I'm still very worried for your chances of future repairs, plus that seller robbed you like a bank. The price you paid was equal to what anyone can buy a brand new CTX for, with ALL parts included. You didnt get the rechargeable battery, the battery charger, or the WM-10 wireless module? You just lost $550 dollars in equipment. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but you need to be raising hell with that seller.

Posted by: bklein
Date: November 19, 2018 09:13AM
Put the detector in constant pinpoint and separate the pod from the shaft enough so you can get at the connections. Wiggle each to see if there are any intermittant behaviors.
Measure the voltage of your battery pack and let us know what it is.

Date: November 21, 2018 06:43AM
The batteries I have in the battery pack at the moment are 8xAA Duracell, and the battery icon on the screen is showing around 75% remaining. I just Tested the battery pack with a multi meter and the reading is currently 1.34v.

I’ll perform the other test as suggested by Bklein, later this evening when I’m somewhere with no EMI.

Minelab have also advised me to do some other tests with the sensitivity, nothing I haven’t already tried, but I’ll double check.

Will update ;)

Date: November 21, 2018 09:01AM
1.34V isn’t right.
Measure each cell of the pack individually not in the pack. They should all read ~1.45v or higher. I don’t remember the cell configuration of the pack but there is no way to get 1.34v without having dead cells.

Date: November 21, 2018 10:38AM
I'm guess (hoping) that was a mistype and either meant 13.4V or 1.34 amps. I'm also curious if you were reading across the correct terminals

Date: November 21, 2018 10:43AM
Rechargeable, connector at top (pin 1 left):
1:2 -8.15V
1:3 -8.15V
1:4 -7.42V
1:5 -7.42V

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 10:54AM by bklein.

Date: November 22, 2018 10:11AM
My bad, sorry. Measured the wrong connections. The correct voltage (correct me if I’m wrong) is reading 10.79v. Photo showing the terminals used. This is measuring the voltage of the battery pack containing batteries with several hours use, but still well in the green on the CTX battery level indicator on the screen.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: November 22, 2018 10:57AM
Much better!:smile:

Date: November 22, 2018 11:29AM
A new set of batteries, and it reads just over 13v.

Date: November 24, 2018 12:05AM
What I just discovered is that the rechargeable power appears on different connector pins than the alkaline pod.
The rechargeable is as above but the alkaline outputs 12V-13.x volts out pins one and two.
So you might get different behavior out of your detector if you get a rechargeable pack and try it.

Date: November 24, 2018 10:18AM
bklein
What I just discovered is that the rechargeable power appears on different connector pins than the alkaline pod.
The rechargeable is as above but the alkaline outputs 12V-13.x volts out pins one and two.
So you might get different behavior out of your detector if you get a rechargeable pack and try it.

What do you mean? When the pod is connected, the detector is going to draw power from the same connectors, regardless. It doesnt know what you have connected. Also, there is no difference in behavior or performance by different batteries. The detector (like almost all modern electronics) use power limiters. The circuit needs X volts and that is all that the limiter allows through. When the battery drops below X volts, then it dies. Otherwise it performs exactly the same.

Date: November 25, 2018 09:49AM
Jason, I am suggesting there could be two voltage regulation circuits in the CTX. One that handles the rechargeable and another that handles the alkaline pack. The detector has to know which type is attached for the battery level meter to be accurate and there could be other reasons like for efficiency.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login