Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Indoor test plot / garden?
Posted by: kellogg
Date: December 10, 2018 08:45PM
Maybe a goofy question, but has anyone built a little testing area indoors using totes filled with soil? I'd think you'd be able to create some very interesting situations. I'm at the point where my outside hunting is about at a standstill.

Re: Indoor test plot / garden?
Posted by: PryorCreekJoe
Date: December 11, 2018 07:51AM
To have a meaningful test garden you need to simulate natural conditions. ie rain, snow, freezing, grass decomposition, time for coins and other target to get a more natural halo effect that you find in the field. I have always used 5 years as rule of thumb for a more realistic test garden.
An inside test garden would maybe at best be slightly better than a simple air test. But that is just my opinion.

Posted by: CT Todd
Date: December 12, 2018 04:16PM
PryorCreekJoe
To have a meaningful test garden you need to simulate natural conditions. ie rain, snow, freezing, grass decomposition, time for coins and other target to get a more natural halo effect that you find in the field. I have always used 5 years as rule of thumb for a more realistic test garden.
An inside test garden would maybe at best be slightly better than a simple air test. But that is just my opinion.

This guy Joe is right

Dig Colonial or go Home! www.cttodd.com

Started in 97, Fav Coin 1774 2 Reales, Oldest Coin 1st Century Roman Silver

When I go detecting I always do so with permission of the land owner.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 12, 2018 08:37PM
Unless you’re living like the Unabomber,an inside ANYTHING regarding a detector will give you bizarre results at best. The reason...electrical interference. Also remember...the coil will pick up nails in your floor,plumbing(copper) and EMI coming from every possible thing in your house,including the wiring itself. Although the weather is something that a lot of us would like to avoid at this time of year,the above stands true....nothing really compares to finding coins in the wild for a learning experience. To make sure your equipment is working properly and to get a general idea of a machines capabilities,a properly constructed outdoor test garden can certainly be beneficial. I wouldn’t set one up INDOORS though. That’s just me...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login