Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: I’d like to see some more chatter thru the winter
Posted by: laplander
Date: December 19, 2018 08:26PM
ironman200081

Speaking of "place" I am from north Missouri, what part of central Missouri are you all from. The frost was only 1 inch deep in the bean fields Sunday and almost 50 degrees that equals a great hunt.
Jeff

If you aimed a dart at a map of Missouri and hit dead-center, you would probably hit my home town. Plenty of Price Expedition sites in my area. They are finally cutting the beans in our area too, seems late this year.

Us farmers are suffering excess moisture this fall/winter if it isnt the ground its the beans. Just cut mine Sunday.
Jeff

Posted by: ironman200081
Date: December 20, 2018 08:54AM
IDXMonster
Which is the most pleasant to use in this scenario from your experience?

I hunt in freshwater streams and lakes. I have used both the 11" and the 17", and I am primarily searching for Civil War relics. Both are "sinkers" and not "floaters." The 11" is by far the easiest to swing because its size causes less water drag. The 17" is just as handy in the water as it is on land (bigger sweep area) but it sure drags a lot when you swing it. For that reason, I prefer to use the 11" coil and I put cut garden hose "bumpers" on it to handle the knocks on the rocks.

Laplander - was the wet fall the reason that many farmers were late in cutting beans this year? You all have great dirt up there north of the river.

Bryan in Missouri
"MidMoTreasure" on Youtube
www.midmolawyer.com

Posted by: laplander
Date: December 20, 2018 07:24PM
Ironman

Yes the wet weather is exactly the reason. Soybeans are like a sponge soak it up fast slow to dry back down:shrug:
Jeff

Re: ironman........................
Posted by: moreb
Date: December 24, 2018 09:33AM
It happened again this weekend. Ironman and I were checking out a new site and the CTX found another Silver coin spill. A 1944 merc dime, 1924 merc dime and a 1944 Walking liberty Half all in the same hole. This machine is awesome!

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 24, 2018 05:50PM
My honest take on machines is that the one a person “connects with” the best is going to find them things,it WILL happen. The reason it will happen is because they enjoy using it and are very in tune with it,and use it a lot. Some don’t like the CTX for whatever reason,or have switched for whatever reason,and it’s all good. As long as you’re having success with what you have,why change? I wouldn’t,unless I see indisputable proof that I should.
Moreb....ya did good! I’m sure other machines may have seen that spill but it was the CTX you were using at the time,and you were using it because you feel CONFIDENT THAT EVEN IF THE TARGET IS TOUGH,IT WILL FIND IT! It’s a great confidence to have,the CTX has made finding silver and old coins into child’s play for me.
Bryan....thank you for the water hunting advice/info. I can’t wait to try it out and see what’s in these places!
Merry Christmas to all!

Kevin

Posted by: wvrick
Date: January 16, 2019 09:20AM
I have watched a lot of videos this past year after recovering from surgery last spring, it killed my year of hunting. I sold my CTX thinking I might go to something lighter, but I never had a problem with the CTX being too heavy. I pondered the idea of other models and even brands but have liked Minelab since back to my Explorer. Common sense will tell you ML is not going to have a 900 dollar detector as an upgrade to a 2500.00 machine and still sell that model. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my 2nd CTX before in a couple weeks. Like you IDX people can like one detector over another because they find it better for them or there would only be one metal detector, I'm not detector poor and still run my old C$ from time to time and even the old ladys AT Pro. People like different detectors like Ford and Chevys.

A little story about my Father, he was my best hunting buddy ever but passed on in '01. Dad started hunting in 1970 while we were visiting his Brother in Florida. My uncle had hunted for years and found lot's of Spanish silver, we went almost every day for two weeks we were there. When we came home Dad bought a TR detector, we hunted almost every evening after work and took turns running the detector and digging. Dad used that detector for years then I got my first detector and decided it was time for Dad to get an upgrade. For Christmas, we got him a new detector and he took it out on a few hunts along with running it around the back yard. Dad hunted with it until spring and we headed one nice day out to hunt when we both had the evening free, we met and a planned hunting site and started unloading our detectors. We were talking and planning on where to hunt while I was unloading from my car and Dad from his. I looked up and Dad had his old detector, I was surprised and ask what happen to the new one, he said it just didn't work for him and wanted to find stuff. I respected his choice and we hunted, Dad always choice that detector over others.

Rick

Posted by: Ben Town
Date: January 16, 2019 06:33PM
Rick , that’s a great story about your dad.
If I’d been lucky enough to have my dad around I’m betting I could have got him detecting too.
We used to fish , hunt , and work together so Detecting would have just been one more venture, and with his knowledge of the area around his home town , it would have been great.
I’ve still got a cast on for two more weeks then start getting back into walking, looking forward to start detecting again, 8 weeks non weight bearing sucks
BT

Posted by: LawrencetheMDer
Date: January 20, 2019 09:20PM
When you plot CO number as a function of gold ring size (FE12), about 1 in 50 rings fall on the CO axis greater than CO36. Gold rings have to be monsters to register above CO36! BTW on my machine pennies run from CO32 (Mean CO37,CO41) to CO43 depending on composition. Then of course you see them everywhere along the CO axis reflecting various states and background conditions, if you hunt long enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login