Findmall.com

Minelab CTX 3030 Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Ctx coils
Posted by: stateguyt
Date: December 16, 2018 07:18PM
Why are the coils for the 3030 so expensive compared to other Minelab coils like the equinox

Re: Ctx coils
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 17, 2018 07:09AM
Technology used,expense of parts and they CAN be. The EQ is meant to be a “cost effective” yet very capable machine. CTX stuff doesn’t consider cost apparently. With its capabilities it doesn’t have to....

Posted by: Ben Town
Date: December 17, 2018 10:11AM
At least there are only 3 , small, medium, and large.
I beleive there are a few after market coils to through in the mix .
I’ve got all three and the 17 is my go to coil.
My theory is go big to go deep.
Also protect your investment, I have a couple aftermarket lower shafts that I feel put less pressure on the cable where it exits the coil, one on the 17 and one on the 11 and it’s not a problem on the 6.
Don’t want to buy two

Smart chips
Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: December 17, 2018 11:35AM
The 3030 coils have a smart chip. This is the part that increases the cost of the coils.

Posted by: tcornel
Date: December 18, 2018 07:39AM
I would think the build quality is better on the ctx coils. Most of the Equinox are set up as throw away parts. I just sent back my control box for a broken button and the service center said they do not open up the panel, just replace it.

Re: Smart chips
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 19, 2018 06:28PM
Jim Robertson
The 3030 coils have a smart chip. This is the part that increases the cost of the coils.

Bingo. A data converter of sorts I understand to convert the TX signal from digital to analog and to convert the RX analog signal back to digital to send it to the processor. It even SOUNDS expensive!:lol:

Posted by: Ben Town
Date: December 19, 2018 06:45PM
That’s why they call um smart chips

Re: Smart chips
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 19, 2018 08:49PM
Jim Robertson

That chip doesnt make them expensive, it prevents 3rd party coils from being produced.

Posted by: Always Curious
Date: December 30, 2018 02:21AM
Cost of the chip is negligible. Minelab undoubtedly makes obscene profits on the CTX accessory coils, but there's not much we can do about it.

Posted by: McClod
Date: December 30, 2018 03:15AM
What after market lower shaft do you recommend and did you buy them online? I've been out of the detecting game most of this year and have fallen behind on whats out there but getting back into it! Thanks for any info! Happy Hunting!

Don

Minelab CTX 3030, 2 Garrett propointers & Whites TRX Pinpointer. 2014 Finds: Silver Coins - 25 === Silver Rings - 7 === Gold Jewelry - Coming soon I hope! Oldest coin = 1914 Barber dime.

Posted by: moreb
Date: December 30, 2018 08:19PM
I bought mine from Steve...........stevesdetectorrods.com

Posted by: laplander
Date: January 01, 2019 08:12AM
Ben Town
At least there are only 3 , small, medium, and large.
I beleive there are a few after market coils to through in the mix .
I’ve got all three and the 17 is my go to coil.
My theory is go big to go deep.
Also protect your investment, I have a couple aftermarket lower shafts that I feel put less pressure on the cable where it exits the coil, one on the 17 and one on the 11 and it’s not a problem on the 6.
Don’t want to buy two
Another company has at least 3 more after market coils available, how many are enough? That's a personal choice {I have 4 :tongue:}
Jeff

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: January 01, 2019 11:01AM
laplander
Another company has at least 3 more after market coils available, how many are enough? That's a personal choice {I have 4 :tongue:}
Jeff

I thought there was just the 5x10 and the 14x9? Am I missing one? Would like to see something in the 8-9" range to bridge the gap between the stock and the six.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: laplander
Date: January 03, 2019 07:49AM
Check the Coiltech web page I believe they have 3 after market one now.

Jeff

Posted by: LTimedigger
Date: January 03, 2019 11:32AM
I had the Coiltek 10x9 but traded it in to buy another coil. Its ok but is an enclosed DD coil which made it even heavier than the larger ML coils on an already heavy machine. Also the cord is slightly shorter than the ML coils which took me a little longer to connect. DD coils are a little harder to pinpoint and the enclosed coil to me made iteven harder. Do you still have an XP? I kept my HF 5x10. Really maneuvers the trashy areas and is really deep. Downside is no norm off so may dig a little more trash. HH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login