Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Bucketlister for me anyways...
Posted by: ynnek4
Date: May 01, 2018 10:14AM
Found these two last weekend with the Deus. My first US Civil War era coin. I was shocked to see the date. What a great feeling to save these. These were about 50 feet from one another on a brand new house and lot (not in the fill dirt). The 1864 was behind their backyard property (wooded area) while the 1889 was 6-7 inches underneath their mulch. Would it be sort of safe to say these were most likely dropped in 1890's and onward? Always fascinating to speculate!

Happy hunting!

Hard to say when they were lost....
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: May 01, 2018 01:01PM
I try to keep track of coin spills; I think it is about the only way to get a clue when things were lost. I've found seated coins with barber, and I think once with a mercury dime. I think Indian Heads circulated well into the 1940s, and doubtful people were picking out and saving the older ones.

Congrats on the find.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Re: Bucketlister for me anyways...
Posted by: trojdor
Date: May 01, 2018 04:23PM
ynnek4
Would it be sort of safe to say these were most likely dropped in 1890's and onward?

Absolutely...

It's always fun to consider who handled/dropped the old coin...
What was going on in history at that moment in time?
...and then connect to that person by being the next person to touch/handle the coin.

:)
mike

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: May 01, 2018 05:51PM
Cool finds...love that green patina...

Posted by: E-Trac-Ohio
Date: May 02, 2018 06:14AM
Nice Indians - congrats !

Yes, it's always a thrill to think about who dropped the coin, who they were, what were they doing when the dropped it and what events took place during the coins mint date.
Finding coins dated from 1861 to 1865 always makes me feel more in touch with the Civil War era - metal detectors really are time machines !

Good Hunting !

XP Deus * 9" LF Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Posted by: woody
Date: May 03, 2018 03:39PM
Really nice finds. Probably more to be found.

Posted by: timwied
Date: May 04, 2018 06:41AM
Those are in Great Shape! Congrats on a Bucket Lister!!! Did you clean them, or was they that good?

Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pinpointer Pro AT,Started Detecting December 31, 2013, Oldest 2014 - 1861 Seated Liberty Dime. 2015: 1863 & 1864 Indian Head Cents, 1 foot apart. 2016: 1700's Chinese Cash Coin & Fatty, no date, 1860-1864 Indian Head Cent, Two 52 caliber ringtail sharps Confederate Bullets, and 4 pistol balls in the same hole. Two Union Bullets, one is 58 caliber Williams Cleaner. 2017: 1863 Indian Head Cent, U.S. Civil War Waist Plate (Buckle), Sterling U.S. Collar Pin.

Posted by: Mkus
Date: May 05, 2018 02:49PM
Sweet Indian!!!

Date: May 08, 2018 10:11AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! These were truly unexpected finds. This is a professionally landscaped yard less than a year old. Does not scream "detect me!." I just figured I would bring the Deus to do some casual swinging not expecting to find really anything. I will say that I had previously found the obligatory old spoon (5-7" underneath their mulch), harmonica reed, and bullet shells with a CTX 17" so I had an inkling there may be something on their property. I figured I may find some Wheaties but out popped the 1864 and then the next day the 1889 (underneath their mulch). I remember actually just laughing when I pinpointed the 1864. Could not believe it. I was actually debating bringing the Deus but boy am I glad I did!

About an hour after I found the 1889 this guy made an appearance so we called it a day.:surprised:

Date: May 08, 2018 10:16AM
timwied
Those are in Great Shape! Congrats on a Bucket Lister!!! Did you clean them, or was they that good?

Those pictures of them are pretty much how they came out.

I did run them underneath some water and used a soft brush later to clean them up a bit. I was actually surprised the 1864 had some nice detail to do it. You can almost make out "Liberty" on it.

Date: May 08, 2018 10:28AM
woody
Really nice finds. Probably more to be found.

That is my thought too. I just got a HF coil so I may need grid off their backyard.

Posted by: rferrari
Date: May 08, 2018 08:19PM
It's nice to find some old ground. Go back after a rain and search that ground again. There are more items hidden under and near what you have just found. Peace Roy

Posted by: rottonr
Date: May 09, 2018 07:42AM
Has that beautiful 1864 IH got the "L" on it?

Date: May 10, 2018 08:24AM
rottonr
Has that beautiful 1864 IH got the "L" on it?

Unfortunately, no. The bust is not pointed.:thumbdown:

Posted by: always diggin 2
Date: May 10, 2018 06:20PM
Cool finds...

Started detecting Oct 2010 w/Tracker 4; March 2011 upgraded to F2; Compadre; Leashe; Makro PP; F44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login