Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Gold, Big Silver and Other Goodies!
Posted by: Brierfield
Date: May 05, 2018 10:30PM
I hunted a site today that is supposed to be the oldest house in a nearby town. The house is a dogtrot (now remodeled and enclosed) that was built in the mid-1800s, and is supposed to be the site of Confederate headquarters during WBTS. I was using an E-Trac with the stock 11" coil. All targets found in the yard of the subject house.

L to R: 1912 V Nickel; 1906 Indian Head Penny; 1923 Mercury Dime; 1900S Barber Quarter; 1951 Franklin Half Dollar; harmonica reed. Below are 6 wheaties. Ring is large men's HS class ring made of 10K gold. The harmonica reed was the only recovered item that can be connected to the WBTS.

Thanks for looking!

Re: Gold, Big Silver and Other Goodies!
Posted by: jim tn
Date: May 06, 2018 05:39AM
Very nice hunt. Gold and silver on any hunt is a good one. HH jim tn

Posted by: Mkus
Date: May 06, 2018 02:49PM
Nice finds congrats

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: May 06, 2018 05:30PM
Awesome hunt...looks like someone did an electrical experiment with the ben franklin. ..

Date: May 06, 2018 06:02PM
Thanks, Jim! I always enjoy reading your hunting reports!

Date: May 06, 2018 06:03PM
Thanks! It was certainly one of my better days!

Date: May 06, 2018 06:10PM
bootyhoundpa
Awesome hunt...looks like someone did an electrical experiment with the ben franklin. ..

Yeah, I hadn't considered the electrical experiment angle. There are 2 very sharp and jagged places on each side of the coin, and I just chalked it up to an encounter with a lawnmower. You may be onto something! BTW, the BF was less than an inch deep under an oak tree; I was quite surprised it was a coin, expecting it to possibly be a piece of large aluminum. Always surprises in this hobby! :happy:

Posted by: GarrettGuru
Date: May 06, 2018 06:56PM
What an awesome day you had! Must have been thrilling to find all of that in one hunt. How much time did you spend at the site?

Date: May 06, 2018 07:44PM
GarrettGuru
What an awesome day you had! Must have been thrilling to find all of that in one hunt. How much time did you spend at the site?

Thanks, GG!

I was there between 4 and 5 hours. I was working slowly, especially since I was swinging an E-Trac. The site is pretty clean of trash, especially modern trash. There was quite a bit of iron very near the house, but it's doubtless been re-roofed many times since the 1850s, when it was built. The lady who owns the house told me that someone had detected the site a few years ago. Sure am thankful that they missed so much!

Posted by: GarrettGuru
Date: May 06, 2018 08:33PM
GarrettGuru

Not a bad return on your time investment at that site! The guy who detected it before you must have been using a $50 bounty hunter lol

Garrett ACE 300 w/ DD Search Coil

Date: May 07, 2018 06:24AM
Yeah, or maybe a broom stick.

But, here's another thought: what if he actually took a huge haul of all the great stuff out of the site, and what I found was just the dregs that he missed?

Not likely, but one never knows! :lol:

Posted by: miserman
Date: May 17, 2018 05:47AM
Nice array of coins. Franklins are much harder to find than Walkers. Good job on the gold ring.

Posted by: rottonr
Date: May 17, 2018 02:28PM
Wow, what a hunt...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login