Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Sunday Afternoon Class Ring
Posted by: GarrettGuru
Date: June 24, 2018 08:39PM
Two weeks ago I caved and bought a used XP Deus w/ 11" coil. After a couple less successful previous hunts, I went for a short hunt this Sunday afternoon with 'Mkus' to an overgrown playing field behind a school. We were finding some clad here and there and the usual trash. I was swinging along in the center of the field when I got a solid mid 80s tone. Still not super familiar with the Deus' target IDs, I decided to dig this one up. I turned up the plug but the target was still inside the hole.. I scooped out a handful of dirt and felt a solid object between my fingers. Expecting nothing more than trash, I opened my hand to reveal a chunky bright gold class ring!!!! I could not believe my eyes. I still cannot believe my eyes! What an awesome day!! Its a 10k gold class ring from '74. The ring does contain inscripted initials on the inside of the band. I am going to see if I can return this beautiful ring to its original owner. Can you imagine how awesome it will be to see them have it back? -Greg

XP Deus

Re: Sunday Afternoon Class Ring
Posted by: Gamma_Joe
Date: June 24, 2018 09:57PM
That's a great find, and it looks like the Deus is going to be a good friend in the field.

Best of luck in finding the person who lost it. The ring goes back 44 years. If the person is still around, he or she will probably remember what it felt like when it got lost. It could have got lost many years ago, or a few months ago. What a story it will be.

Cheers,

Joe

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: June 25, 2018 11:18AM
It is a good feeling to hand someone their ring that has been lost. Good luck in your search for the owner. Some schools will help and some will not. Alumni associations will also sometimes help.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: June 25, 2018 05:54PM
Very nice find....

Posted by: kschae4
Date: June 26, 2018 05:22AM
That's a terrific find and I know how happy the owner will be to get it back ..... I had similar feelings as Joe wrote about above regarding a 1964 Maplewood HS, N.Jj, ring I found at the beach in 2009. It had the possibility of belonging to a young grad who may've been drafted during Vietnam and not had the blessed fortune to return home.,but it all worked out and the man was so grateful and teary -eyed when I handed it over to him on his trip from Florida to his HS 45th yr reunion. Best of luck with locating the student and it has the makings of you writing it up and posting it over on the Good Deeds in Detecting Forum...
Since you also hunt with Mkus (and his finds speak for themselves ) I've got a feeling we'll see some real goodies being posted by you in the weeks ahead. ...

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: Mkus
Date: June 26, 2018 09:32AM
Yes that ring was a sweet find I think Greg likes his Deus!

Posted by: zac
Date: July 02, 2018 12:16PM
Cool finds! I love my Deus.

Posted by: GarrettGuru
Date: July 14, 2018 11:25AM
UPDATE: I was able to locate the owner of the class ring! I met her today and returned it. As you might expect, she was VERY happy to have it back!

XP Deus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 11:28AM by GarrettGuru.

Posted by: Tony in kc
Date: July 14, 2018 11:45AM
good news, you did the right thing..congrats.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: July 15, 2018 08:31AM
Good Job on the return. Makes all of us who detect look better to the general public.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: Mkus
Date: July 15, 2018 02:54PM
Very cool to meet the owner she was very happy to get her ring back after losing it 44 years ago..

Posted by: kschae4
Date: July 16, 2018 07:08PM
Greg,

Outstanding deed.. Wishing you good karma

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 20, 2018 03:16PM
GarrettGuru, Congratulations on the find AND the return! She probably never thought she would see that ring again! You must have made her day! Good job! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting
Blind Squirrel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login