Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Last hunt of 2018 gets best silver of the year 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime
Posted by: TNreb
Date: January 01, 2019 09:10AM
My buddy Chris and I have been hunting a very large piece of property looking for a camp known to be in the area. We were hunting the side of a hill near the railroad tracks and working our way down towards the creek. There was a lot of trash from where an old house must has sat as it was littered with square nails and broken glass and pottery. Both of us were using the Minelab Equinox which works great in trashy areas. The previous week I found an 1899 Barber dime and a heel plate and Chris found a three ringer and a spoon. Chris made the comment that he saw on an old map that there used to be a road that went under the railroad trestle down to the creek and across to the next field (different owner and that is where we think the camp is). So he walked over to where the road may have been and immediately found a bullet. Then another. I joined him and first signal was a Gardner bullet. I told Chris that I was going to walk to the bottom of the hill towards the creek. First signal was a nice flat button. Then about 3 feet away I got a nice sweet tone reading about 21 on the Equinox 800 and reading 8+" deep. I dug down the length of my shovel which is about 12" and laying in the bottom of the hole I could see a silver coin laying in the bottom. I hollered at Chris and said I have another silver dime. He looks in hole and says it looks funny and must be a foreign coin. When I got it out we still could not tell if seated or not. Chris got out his spray bottle of water and we gently cleaned off the dirt. That is when the mystery came to light. It was an 1833 Capped Bust half dime in pretty good shape.

WOW ! That is an awesome coin.
Posted by: therover
Date: January 01, 2019 09:15AM
Super find. I love those old coins. It's great when they get to see the light of day again.

Re: Last hunt of 2018 gets best silver of the year 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime
Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: January 01, 2019 10:03AM
Great way to end the year....very very nice...

Posted by: Mkus
Date: January 01, 2019 02:37PM
Nice find got my first half dime this year a1835 in beautiful condition amazing how small they are!

Posted by: trojdor
Date: January 01, 2019 04:38PM
Beautiful coin...:thumbup:

You can still see the full "LIBERTY" in the headband, so that one was dropped in the mid 1830's.

I wonder what the story was of the person who dropped it around 180 years ago.

Great catch!
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 04:39PM by trojdor.

Posted by: billpa
Date: January 01, 2019 05:07PM
That's a sweet lookin' coin.

Posted by: Charles (Sabre)(Tx)
Date: January 01, 2019 06:44PM
Beautiful coins those Capped Busts...and yours looks great! Good job on finding it!

Charles :usaf: :usaflag:

Posted by: quicksilver
Date: January 02, 2019 03:14AM
Beautiful. Nice job....

From "The old line state", Equinox 600, Teknetics G2+, Teknetics T2SE, Garrett pin pointer, and a lot of determination...

Posted by: Diggindumbstuff
Date: January 02, 2019 06:59PM
WOW!

I dig with and because of my DAD!

Posted by: kschae4
Date: January 07, 2019 05:53AM
Great find, hope the new year proves just as rewarding.

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: January 12, 2019 05:53PM
TNreb, that's a VERY nice Capped Bust Half Dime!Congratulations! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Scuirrel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login