Findmall.com

Today's Finds Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
VMI Cadet Button dug in SC
Posted by: patriotdigger
Date: April 04, 2019 09:05PM
Shocking Civil War Find ft Calabash Digger

Checkout my latest video where I dig a VMI Cadet button in South Carolina. Really a unexpected find.

Re: VMI Cadet Button dug in SC
Posted by: Sataro
Date: April 05, 2019 10:14AM
Congrats on a great find!

XP Deus | Lesche Digger | Deteknix Xpointer

Date: April 05, 2019 10:24AM
Sataro
Congrats on a great find!

Thanks so much Sataro ! Never expected that in SC

Posted by: brianc577
Date: April 05, 2019 06:46PM
As an alumni, i am very envious. Can you read the backmark?

Date: April 05, 2019 07:52PM
brianc577
As an alumni, i am very envious. Can you read the backmark?
Here is pic of backmark

Posted by: Confetrit
Date: April 06, 2019 11:43AM
Yall' did well at the plantation site. Great find on the VMI Cadet button. What a beaut and a great Historical CW Save. This rare piece of History will show well in your display. Congratulations and Well Done.

Date: April 06, 2019 02:35PM
Thank you ! Really a unexpected find. We thought it was a SC button

Posted by: woody
Date: April 09, 2019 11:28AM
So far I've found 2 VMI's in the same field on my farm, 50 mi. s. of Augusta, Ga. Would really be interesting to know they got here. Tales they could tell !

Posted by: brianc577
Date: April 09, 2019 01:43PM
The Cadet corps numbered 274 men at New Market in 1864. The first VMI class in 1839 had 16 Cadets. So if you figured the average class over those 26 years had 200 cadets (a high estimate) then by 1865 there may have only been 5200 alumni. A VMI button from the Civil War would be extremely rare, assuming Alumni where wearing their VMI uniforms in the Confederate Army. Also, that is assuming that earlier VMI Coatee's had VMI buttons and not Ball buttons like West Point. Anyway, my point is a VMI button from the Civil War is rare! Unfortunately, the D E Evans backmark does not isolate it to Civil War era only.

Congrats on your find!

Date: April 09, 2019 07:40PM
brianc577
The Cadet corps numbered 274 men at New Market in 1864. The first VMI class in 1839 had 16 Cadets. So if you figured the average class over those 26 years had 200 cadets (a high estimate) then by 1865 there may have only been 5200 alumni. A VMI button from the Civil War would be extremely rare, assuming Alumni where wearing their VMI uniforms in the Confederate Army. Also, that is assuming that earlier VMI Coatee's had VMI buttons and not Ball buttons like West Point. Anyway, my point is a VMI button from the Civil War is rare! Unfortunately, the D E Evans backmark does not isolate it to Civil War era only.

Congrats on your find!

Thanks ! Really perplexed by it but the thing is for the area I live in ,5 were found at the plantation next to where I was hunting and 2 we're found in the downtown area in Georgetown, SC. The plantation I was hunting has produced Spanish silver, a pre civil war SC button,at least 60 flat buttons , and this button. VMI Cadets were here, when and why is unknown

Date: April 09, 2019 07:48PM
woody
So far I've found 2 VMI's in the same field on my farm, 50 mi. s. of Augusta, Ga. Would really be interesting to know they got here. Tales they could tell !

Wow! That's amazing. At least 8 have been found in my area but this is a Rice Plantation area so could be sons of these wealthy planters ? Not sure why these are here but asking around to see if I can get some sort of answer

Date: April 09, 2019 07:52PM
Confetrit
Yall' did well at the plantation site. Great find on the VMI Cadet button. What a beaut and a great Historical CW Save. This rare piece of History will show well in your display. Congratulations and Well Done.

Thank you clearly a shocker for sure. We have hunted that place at least 8 times. Wish we could hunt the main gtounds of plantation no telling what's there

You might send a photo to North South Trader Magazine
Posted by: vlad
Date: April 19, 2019 01:39AM
everything you can imagine runs through their pages--and they have a price guide.
Don't know if Steve Silvia is still running things, but someone there can help you out.
(Have you looked in Alberts Button Book-its the "Bible.")

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login