Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: atx cable poor
Posted by: beav
Date: November 17, 2017 05:48AM
Well said, Doc.

Posted by: Marmot
Date: November 08, 2018 07:35PM
I have had my ATX for less than four months and cable has degraded and the detector now falses badly. I have used it in the surf or on wet sand once or twice a week. I washed it down thoroughly after each outing. I sent it back to Garrett
for repairs. Replacement cables aren't easy to come by. This is completely unacceptable.

Posted by: SoCalBeachScanner
Date: November 08, 2018 09:17PM
Marmot
I have had my ATX for less than four months and cable has degraded and the detector now falses badly. I have used it in the surf or on wet sand once or twice a week. I washed it down thoroughly after each outing. I sent it back to Garrett
for repairs. Replacement cables aren't easy to come by. This is completely unacceptable.

That's not right for the cable to last only four months ... it should have lasted at least six months if you purchased it new.

Looks like you discovered this very active forum to late.

-
First I got Hooked on Metal Detecting ... Now I'm Addicted to Precious Metals.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: November 10, 2018 08:02AM
THE REASON I won't buy one.

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: November 10, 2018 04:27PM
Got 3 original 2013 ATX DD coils with unbroken cable !

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: November 13, 2018 10:13AM
Hey Garrett--this post has 22k hits----wonder how many more ATX's could have been sold if the cable issue was resolved??

Posted by: okara gold
Date: November 17, 2018 07:08PM
I have sent my ATX in twice for cracks in the cable wire. All in a one year period. It was still under warranty and they replaced it and the coil both times for free.
It is now sitting just as I received it from Garrett and not used at all for fear it will happen again. Trying to decide whether to sell it or not.

Posted by: dmnz
Date: March 06, 2019 02:05PM
Hay guys.

I was probably the most active atx user on this board. The atx is an awesome PI. More than 100 gold rings / year with that machine till the cables degraded too many times.

I still love the Atx and tried again the other day. Looks like we need to throw away the green case, coiled cable, and turn it into a proper water machine! Its a two tone pi and very reliable. I still love it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 02:06PM by dmnz.

Posted by: Dancer
Date: March 12, 2019 07:30PM
dmnz
Hay guys.

I was probably the most active atx user on this board. The atx is an awesome PI. More than 100 gold rings / year with that machine till the cables degraded too many times.

I still love the Atx and tried again the other day. Looks like we need to throw away the green case, coiled cable, and turn it into a proper water machine! Its a two tone pi and very reliable. I still love it!

Garrett had something like that once. The Infinium. Two tone, interchangeable coils, shaft or belt mounted. A real work horse. All terrain. Than came the big brother ATX, with a couple big improvements. Unfortunately (no body knows why) they mounted it on maybe the worst platform on the market. It takes more care than a Blackpowder muzzle loader firearm. Along with the high sticker price, spare coils cost as much as some top detectors. Than comes the break downs, and the weight. So ya wonder why they just don't revamp it.

Posted by: denny45
Date: April 04, 2019 11:29AM
Marmot
. Did you buy new or used? Are you still having problems?

Date: April 11, 2019 01:24AM
doc holiday232
THE REASON I won't buy one.
Just received the new replacement 10x12 coil. The coil cable has a clear coating and looks better than the old. I wouldn’t worry about saltwater anymore.and I don’t collapse the detector as I am afraid it might still pinch the coil cable.

Date: April 11, 2019 05:25AM
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 05:26AM by beav.

Posted by: denny
Date: April 11, 2019 10:48AM
beav
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
You really think Garrett would be using the same materials.

Date: April 12, 2019 06:05AM
Thanks for the picture.
It's hard to tell but its probable they changed materials I guess.
Time will tell.
Beav

Date: April 12, 2019 10:28AM
Replacement coils were made sometime in 2017 my ATX was made 2015 and bought new in 2016 the warranty has expired and Garrett still replaced the old coil. It shouldn’t be that hard to redo the coil cable with the right materials I mean Garrett has been manufacturing detectors for years. On the most popular auction website I asked about the issue to a few sellers none knew about the issue only one said there were cracks he now is receiving a new replacement coil. Anybody who purchased a used ATX recently and having a coil cable issue has a machine made in 2012-2016.