NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: atx cable poor
Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: April 15, 2019 12:59PM
denny
beav
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
You really think Garrett would be using the same materials.

YES they would--rather than admit and move forward.

Posted by: denny
Date: April 15, 2019 09:24PM
doc holiday232
denny
beav
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
You really think Garrett would be using the same materials.

YES they would--rather than admit and move forward.
Looks and feels pretty good even up close. Haven’t heard anything negative since the replacement coil. We’ll see after a year or so. The old coil cable on my atx developed cracks and had bad ground noise and I never had it in fresh/saltwater or collapsed the detector to make it smaller. Replacement coil took care of the ground noise now wait and see if there are still issues with cracking.

You should go to a Garrett dealer and see for yourself if coil cable is the same.

Date: May 11, 2019 03:23PM
Since this seems to be the Number 1 negative issue with the ATX would it not make sense that Garrett would announce the Solution to the ATX cable problem,however,this would be an admission that there WAS a problem to begin with. My money is on them making NO announcement since they would Never admit to the problem in the first place.

Posted by: beav
Date: May 14, 2019 10:59AM
I'm with you on this Doc!

Beav

Posted by: Seeker Shawn
Date: May 15, 2019 09:54AM
I wish more people that have bought new ones with the new cable would weigh in here. I just refused shipment on one that I bought on Amazon after reading this thread. All the videos I see on You Tube make it sound like the detector that saved mother earth. Really glad I found this thread! If we can get confirmation that the coil issue is resolved might be worth buying a new one if we make sure it is a "new" one and not a "new" one that's just not sold from last year and has the old cables. Anymore people out there with the new cables?

Posted by: beav
Date: May 16, 2019 07:25AM
*IF* they have ACTUALLY resolved the cable degradation issue, then I would recommend that the ATX is worth buying.
However, If they have NOT solved the issue, then I would not recommend buying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 07:26AM by beav.

Posted by: okara gold
Date: May 17, 2019 05:00PM
I just sold my ATX 2 months ago right after the warranty ran out. Under warranty, the coil / cable was replaced 2 times. I didn't want to chance another failure with me having to cough up big $$$ to replace it again and I hunt saltwater
90% of the time. Too risky.

Date: May 17, 2019 05:26PM
Yeah, I decided to go with a CTX3030 instead. I just moved right on the beach in a resort town so hopefully it's a good beach detector that can cross over to other uses on the rare occasion I might go gold hunting or something.

Posted by: Limalot
Date: May 19, 2019 04:04AM
PPP Mr Garrett. ( @#$%& Poor Performance) Mine sits in the corner, I use my 4500 and Makro Gold.

Date: May 19, 2019 11:24AM
Unfortunately"Mr. Garrett" passed a number of years ago---he would have listened,however, the current CJ's don't care whut you thinks.

Date: May 21, 2019 10:46PM
beav
*IF* they have ACTUALLY resolved the cable degradation issue, then I would recommend that the ATX is worth buying.

Well it’s been over a year since the replacement coil on the atx and I haven’t heard anything of a bad coil cable.

Date: May 21, 2019 11:04PM
doc holiday232
Since this seems to be the Number 1 negative issue with the ATX would it not make sense that Garrett would announce the Solution to the ATX cable problem,however,this would be an admission that there WAS a problem to begin with. My money is on them making NO announcement since they would Never admit to the problem in the first place.
I agree we all want to hear that there was a problem and solution straight from the horses mouth. But it’s been so long why bother. True if Mr. Garrett were still alive he would have done things differently.

Date: May 21, 2019 11:20PM
denny
beav

Well it’s been over a year since the replacement coil on the atx and I haven’t heard anything of a bad coil cable.

Are you saying the problem was fixed? I'd love to have one of the units if so but I can't get a confirmation and can't afford to waste the money if not.

Date: May 21, 2019 11:30PM
Seeker Shawn
I wish more people that have bought new ones with the new cable would weigh in here. I just refused shipment on one that I bought on Amazon after reading this thread. All the videos I see on You Tube make it sound like the detector that saved mother earth. Really glad I found this thread! If we can get confirmation that the coil issue is resolved might be worth buying a new one if we make sure it is a "new" one and not a "new" one that's just not sold from last year and has the old cables. Anymore people out there with the new cables?

Yes there may be some ATX’s from before the replacement coils being sold as new with the cracking cable issue . The newer ATX with the 11x13 coil shouldn’t be an issue. Haven’t heard anything about coil cable issues from the replacement coil cable or 11x13 coil cable. My atx had bad ground noise due to the cracked cable and I never put in fresh or saltwater Garret took care of the problem with the replacement coil and it was out of warranty by one year. Had to go through a few loops in order to receive the replacement coil.

Date: May 22, 2019 07:48PM
Seeker Shawn
denny
beav

Are you saying the problem was fixed? I'd love to have one of the units if so but I can't get a confirmation and can't afford to waste the money if not.
You might want to check out other water and gold prospecting forums and ask. As for me I can’t give you a confirmation as I just received my replacement coil a couple of months ago and haven’t hunted a saltwater beach yet. The replacement coil has cleared up the ground noise I had before. The atx was unusable in the field with the old coil in some ground I was hunting. Now good as new.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login