Findmall.com

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
coil cable wear
Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: May 18, 2017 08:42AM
Has the issue with the coil cable cracking been resolved?

Re: coil cable wear
Posted by: Atlas
Date: May 19, 2017 12:33PM
I think it would still be possible on the open coil design since the flex point is fully enclosed.

One advantage i see to the solid coil design is the cable comes out of the shaft at the flex point so sand can't get trapped in there and grind the cable.

I mostly hunt water with my ATX and the cam locks get sanded in just about every hunt. I have the spanner wrench and have had to clean them out often.

HH

Date: May 19, 2017 03:39PM
Thanks, Atlas,but I was wondering about the cracking on the whole cable that was widely reported.

Posted by: dmnz
Date: July 23, 2017 03:11AM
I don't think this is addressed - to be honest, I have two ATX machines and several coils - albeit they have all paid for themselves - however, the cable degradation is almost guaranteed, even with little use. Was intent on writing a letter to Garrett this week.... seems to me that something is 'reacting' and causing the cables to fail.

Date: July 24, 2017 06:48AM
Please write your letter,DMNZ,but Don't expect anything--this problem has been reported for years

Posted by: beav
Date: July 24, 2017 12:37PM
I second what Doc_holiday232 says...

Posted by: dmnz
Date: July 25, 2017 03:35AM
yes - it is shocking - I have 2x ATX, 2x 8 inch coils, 3 * stock coils, 1* deep seeker coil = all cracked. It is a fantastic machine, but such a shame! Interestingly, the one coil I removed the shaft from (and fitted my own carbon shaft) is pretty much fine.

As a result I have moved to the xcals, which is a real shame as I love the ATX (hence no longer posting here....)

Posted by: Dancer
Date: July 25, 2017 06:00AM
dmnz
yes - it is shocking - I have 2x ATX, 2x 8 inch coils, 3 * stock coils, 1* deep seeker coil = all cracked. It is a fantastic machine, but such a shame! Interestingly, the one coil I removed the shaft from (and fitted my own carbon shaft) is pretty much fine.

As a result I have moved to the xcals, which is a real shame as I love the ATX (hence no longer posting here....)

Dmnz, man what a story. Every one reading your posts knows your success with the Atx. But a guy can only take so much.
You got more than a small fortune tied up and not counting your time.
People vote with their feet. I'm just going to stay with the Infinium. See ya around, and good luck.

Dancer

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: July 25, 2017 08:19PM
Sometimes one will just have to do what is suitable for oneself in order to get some use of one's investment.

Cables repaired and weight greatly reduced.

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: July 29, 2017 08:51PM
In a month or 2 i will come up with something. Travelling now

Posted by: denny45
Date: March 26, 2019 11:12AM
doc holiday232
they now have the 11x13 coil as stock coil. Has anyone had any issues with the new 11x13 coil.

Posted by: Dancer
Date: April 01, 2019 04:26PM
Ozleif
Sometimes one will just have to do what is suitable for oneself in order to get some use of one's investment.

Cables repaired and weight greatly reduced.

What ya gotta do to get what you want. Not only do you pay for the machine, you gotta redesign it too.

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: April 01, 2019 06:44PM
Dancer

What ya gotta do to get what you want. Not only do you pay for the machine, you gotta redesign it too.

Righ you are.

Have had no trouble with the coil cable so far and I got the ATX as soon as it became available.....2013

Now the weight of the detector as a whole was not to favourable so that was my reason to modify, besides it was easier than b-itching and complaining all the time and just get on with the job of beach searching and gold prospecting.

Another benefit is the ATX coil can be used on an Infinium LS.

Posted by: denny45
Date: April 12, 2019 10:37AM
doc holiday232
You should ask Garrett. Make money first then take care of the coil cable later that seems like what garrett did.

Posted by: Seeker Shawn
Date: May 15, 2019 05:22PM
I read on another thread in this forum that someone just bought an ATX and it has different coil cable covering material now. Anyone know if that is accurate?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login