Findmall.com

NEW Garrett ATX Metal Detector

Welcome! Log In Register
Down to one ATX
Posted by: dmnz
Date: January 29, 2018 01:56AM
Had two of these machines, fantastic in the right conditions.

But due to limited use nowadays just sold one machine online (the modified xcals get tons of use).. I do wish this ATX electronic package was in a lighter configuration and are contemplating removing the entire green housing and making my own case and shaft?

I wonder the likelihood of Garrett releasing a new PI?

The shaft setup just continues to be annoying - the thick sand in Honolulu is where the Garrett guys should do their testing! Brand new 8 inch coil, one day in the water and unable to move the cam locks! But.... it found gold!

Overall a fantastic machine, but seems to be losing favor based solely on ergonomic design?

Re: Down to one ATX
Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: January 29, 2018 02:39AM
How true about the weight and shaft/cam locks.

BUT, I have three detector shafts from two different manufacturers that are made of aluminum and, after some 15-20 years of not separating the parts, I will never be able to separate the three parts (aluminum and lower rod material). I knew they would "freeze" together if I did not take them apart and keep them clean of sand and corrosion. And I am fine with that.

The ATX shaft makes me continue with the high maintenance requirement, especially with the high cost to replace one. The weight of the detector really is not a problem in the water for me. Out of the water the ProSwing 45 handles the weight. I find the work to maintain the ATX is well worth having a detector that has the features and superb performance.

I thought a carbon fiber shaft would be less susceptible to the salt water sand/silt, well I was wrong. I do have to keep the CF shafts clean or they also will freeze up. What's a detectorist to do? ...do the maintenance and keep all shafts and cam locks clean... and enjoy the hobby.

Posted by: dmnz
Date: January 29, 2018 05:32AM
All excellent comments above, I still think the pro’s of the ATX far outweigh the cons! Hopefully Garrett has something in development - when was the ATX released (late 2013?). Time for a new model? Or MKII?

Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: January 29, 2018 09:23AM
I too have a couple of detectors where the lower rods are basically "welded" together from not taking them apart. I have to switch electronics & coil when travelling and a suitcase is necessary. On the plus side, the welded rods are set at a proper length, so they never need adjusting.

Once in waist water, I don't find the detector heavy either, however, in shallow water, I too use a swingy thingy of sorts. The ATX has served me well for relics, coins and lots of rings. I often shower with the ATX :devil: after a hunt to really keep the fine silt out of the rod.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: January 31, 2018 09:32AM
I just wish they would correct the cracking coil wires.

Posted by: beav
Date: February 01, 2018 06:25AM
AMEN to that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login