Findmall.com

Rock & Mineral Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Rock mineral identification Pgm?
Posted by: kellygirl43
Date: December 07, 2017 09:20AM
I need help identifying what I believe to be platinum group metal minerals or elements. A magnet will not stick. Heated a small piece with acetylene oxygen and the iron plate my specimen was on melted first. I knocked the piece into a concrete floor as I continues to heat, but had to stop due to the concrete floor cracking and popping. It barley melted the top of my specimen.
I think it looks like braggite and sperrylite. What do I know though? So I'm going to post some pics of it. It was originally one brick, until I hit it with split ax. Now its in 4 pieces. Here are some pics of different sides and views of it. It will only let me upload 6. I included a pic of the piece I tried melting with acetylene.
If this is what I believe it to be, I need to turn it into cash but cannot refine it myself. Please help!

Re: Rock mineral identification Pgm?N/T
Date: December 07, 2017 09:25AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: Rock mineral identification Pgm?
Date: December 07, 2017 09:38AM
Another side

Date: December 07, 2017 05:46PM
Anybody anybody??!

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: December 07, 2017 08:33PM
I've seen a blue sheen like that on basalt lava flows around Craters of the Moon National Monument. The geologists say it's titanium dioxide.
Jim

Date: December 07, 2017 09:42PM
Its more purple silver sheen then blue.. The sun was going down when I took the pictures.

Date: December 08, 2017 11:19AM
It could also be some compound of manganese. May be manganese dioxide, or manganese phosphate.
Jim

Date: December 08, 2017 01:22PM
Doesn't a magnet stick to manganese?
I wonder if it could be a lunar meteorite?...

Date: December 08, 2017 01:26PM
Ok the last picture I posted in replies labeled another side.. Does it appear to have fusion crust to anyone?

Date: December 08, 2017 06:18PM
If it's a thin layer of manganese, a magnet wouldn't stick. I'd be surprised if that layer is more than skin deep. It's hard to tell from pics, but looks like a hunk of igneous rock with a thin layer of metal on the outside.
Jim

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: December 08, 2017 08:32PM
Provenance matters. Without it, all you will get is guesswork.

I recommend that you take it to your local college geology dept and ask there. Internet ID's are not trustworthy unless its obvious.

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Date: December 08, 2017 08:45PM
Ok and Jim, no the shiny is all the way threw. K thought it was just on the outside as well, until I hkt it with a split ax.

Date: December 09, 2017 09:03AM
Why don't you post a pic of the newly fractured face? Platinum has a "hackly" fracture.
Jim

Date: December 09, 2017 09:44AM
I remembered that I have a similar piece. Mine was found in the vicinity of an old railroad maintenance shop, way out in the desert, and long since abandoned. The rock is about 2" in diameter, and doesn't have the sheen yours does. When checked at a local scarp yard with an XRF gun it showed it to be stainless steel. It had about a 15% nickel content as I recall. I have no idea if it had anything to do with the railroad. I thought it might have come from the firebox of an old steam locomotive. We ground aflat face to get a better reading with the XRF gun. The closeup is of a cleanly broken face.

Posted by: Johnho
Date: December 10, 2017 12:21PM
Looks to be more of a furnace product than natural. Can't tell if it's the scrap or the main product. where did it come from?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login