Findmall.com

Rock & Mineral Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Id this stone please
Posted by: smumsie08
Date: September 27, 2018 01:10PM
Just joined! need help identifying this stone.
-Ron

Re: Id this stone please
Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: September 28, 2018 10:14AM
Hi Ron and Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell us a bit about where you found it? Shots of the other side may help also.

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: smumsie08
Date: September 28, 2018 10:45AM
I found it in Houston, TX in my company's rock bed/garden. Attached pic of underside

Date: September 28, 2018 03:39PM
Whew, that's gonna be a tough one cause it for sure isn't native to Houston. Best I can tell, its some kind of chert/agate, meaning its microcrystalline quartz.
If you want to be more certain than I can do on the internet with pics, take it to a local college geology dept, one of the rock clubs in the area, or run down an oil company geologist. Its always much easier to call something when you have it in your hand.
Hope that helps!

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

FYI Just so you know Champ Ferguson is a professional expert
Posted by: Elton
Date: September 28, 2018 06:39PM
His knowledge is priceless.. And he always helps when he can..

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Posted by: Texadillo
Date: October 19, 2018 07:21AM
My brother has a couple of storage units where they hauled in a lot of landscaping rock to cut back on lawn maintenance and I can't hardly keep my eye's off it. Looks like this stuff was hauled in from a possible gold bearing area due to the array of minerals present plus pieces of petrified wood and some fossils. Sometime back there was talk of Home Depot sand containing gold...just never know!

Date: October 19, 2018 11:15AM
Some HomeD sand does contain gold; it just depends on where the supplier was getting his sand. Look on youtube and youll see several folks running HomeD/Lowes sand bags thru their sluice boxes and recovering some gold. I saw one where the guy actually made more than the cost of the purchase, but not by much.

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login