Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2020 Presidential mail-in vote election. How is that even gonna work?

Greg(E.Tn)

Heard an interview on the radio regarding the current situation with the USPS. They implemented a new system of mail delivery that has resulted in late deliveries, lost mail, mishandling of mail, and potential suppression of voters participating in the 2020 presidential election.

One issue that was lightly insinuated was that the Union for the Postal workers, suggested that the problem would be fixed, if the workers were granted overtime, but if not...............?

Another issue that resonates with me is I believe in person voting is more reliable than mail in, thus I intend to vote in person in November unless I am prohibited by law to do so. But what if, at the last minute, the "Vote Collecting Powers that Be" in my area close the voting sites due to C-19 fears, and announce no in-person voting will be allowed? If that's the case, thousands, if not MILLIONS of people might not be allowed to vote.

And here's the flip side re: Mail-in voters:

" CBS News decided to test the system upon which the government will entrust the sanctity of the ballot this November. And the U.S. Postal Service flubbed it............. They proved that the 100 million or more Americans who plan to mail in their ballots should not expect their vote to be counted unless they mail it weeks prior to the election deadlines in each state. "

The key is: The USPS does not have the capacity to handle that much mail efficiently.

jmaclen

In Colorado which has had ballots mailed to all registered voters since 2014, the presidential election ballots will be mailed to all registered voters 30 days before the election. Those wanting to mail in their ballots have to mail them before October 26th, 2020.

So there are four ways to vote. Absentee, mail it in before October 26th, drop the ballot off at any 24 hour ballot box starting one week before the election, which are in every community or city, or vote in person on election day. A person who wants to register to vote after the ballots are mailed can do it online before October 19th. Otherwise, they can register to vote in person even on election day if they are a citizen of the US and have a valid ID.

Colorado checks Department of Motor Vehicle rolls for accurate address, Social Security roles for dead voters and has bipartisan signature judges for checking signatures since every ballot has to be signed. If a mail in or dropped off ballot is signature challenged, Colorado sends the voter a letter requesting another signature. Colorado's entire voting system is completely analog as far as verifying and counting votes. Somehow manufacturing ballots in another country and mailing them here to be hand counted is preposterous.

In the 2018 Mid Term election, 60% of registered voters voted which was second highest turnout rate in the country. According to the Secretary of State, .0027% of 2.5 million votes were challenged.

There were 574 2018 Mid Term election votes left in an outdoor drop off ballot box in Grand Junction, CO which were never picked up, discovered or counted until they were found in March of 2019 during a primary election. They would not have changed the results of the Mid Term statewide elections. Other than that, the voting options here in Colorado have been no problem and are very popular even with most Republicans!!!

Jeff

Last edited:

olfart

I've been a victim of that USPS slowdown. Packages that should take 2 days tops to arrive here arrive 2 weeks later via Houston, which is 275 miles the opposite direction. And it seems to be getting worse. Tracking numbers are worthless, as they won't tell you where the package is, just that it's in the system and traveling to the next point. The USPS union asked congress for a $75 Billion bailout, and congress refused. Therein, I believe, is the root of the problem. The union is holding the mail hostage in hopes of pressuring congress to give them the money.

Digger

Staff member
With social distancing being recommended for Covid-19, and what will likely be a record turnout for a Presidential election, I have an idea that will keep the USPS from being overwhelmed. Those voting for Trump should mail their ballots in no later than October 25, 2020. Those voting for Biden should mail theirs in no sooner than November 5, 2020. Why wouldn't that work?

Greg(E.Tn)

I voted in person couple of weeks ago; the county I live in starts early voting two weeks before the election date.

I walked in, got a quick temperature check, got my residence verified, and voted, all within 5 minutes, plenty of "social distancing" and other protocols.

It will be the same with the presidential election.

I won't vote mail-in unless required to. There's just too many things that can happen with an envelope before it even gets to its destination, let alone what happens to it afterwards.

Ronstar

I would say in the last 20 years that USPS reliability has dwindled. Not sure if thats a salary issue, leadership, or line worker cause. Remember when the Zip Code was the fix all cure all? Now there are often four extra numbers after the five digit originals. Now we are seeing small cities with multiple zips, whats up with that?
We have lived in the same house for 32 years yet we have had three different addresses. Mostly for efficiency with the 911 system.
You can butt dial 911 and they can find you in a fairly fast and accurate manner. Yet, you can put an envelope in a box on the corner and its sometimes a crap shoot if it actually gets to its destination in the same fast and accurate manner.

Greg(E.Tn)

I would say in the last 20 years that USPS reliability has dwindled. Not sure if thats a salary issue, leadership, or line worker cause. Remember when the Zip Code was the fix all cure all? Now there are often four extra numbers after the five digit originals. Now we are seeing small cities with multiple zips, whats up with that?
We have lived in the same house for 32 years yet we have had three different addresses. Mostly for efficiency with the 911 system.
You can butt dial 911 and they can find you in a fairly fast and accurate manner. Yet, you can put an envelope in a box on the corner and its sometimes a crap shoot if it actually gets to its destination in the same fast and accurate manner.
The reports regarding absentee, military, mail- in ballots, etc., clearly show a high propensity for voter fraud whenever votes are placed in the mail. For one thing, the possibilities of human manipulation increases exponentially. How many times in the past have we heard instances thousands of military votes have been ignored or rejected in this or that election. Well, do the math in my original post— we are talking MILLIONS of potentially lost or discounted votes.

Add to that the fact that the Union for the postal employees “ insinuated” that so long as the postal workers got their overtime pay, everything would run smooth........

Can you say, “blackmail”?

Most recently, New York and New Jersey have had serious cases regarding voter fraud specifically dealing with MAIL-IN voting. That’s just two we know about: who knows how many other issues are going unreported ?

If you want your vote to be counted, vote in public.

hawgdawg

I sent mail from NC to OH a week ago this past Friday,, and the man hasn't gotten it.
I could have driven up there and hand delivered it if it would keep me from being suspected of not mailing it. I respect the Postal service and its workers ,, but I cant say mail in voting is the best thing for our republic this year.
Theres to much at stake ,,, and not enough trust in 1 of the party's,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ethics.

tvr

Do a search on "pleads guilty to voter fraud" and there are dozens of different recent cases of voter fraud, most related to mail-in. With mail-in voting, it will be a week or more for some precincts to report results.

One interesting report I found had this in it “Between 2012 and 2018, 28.3 million mail-in ballots remain unaccounted for, according to data from the federal Election Assistance Commission. The missing ballots amount to nearly one in five of all absentee ballots and ballots mailed to voters residing in states that do elections exclusively by mail.”

SeabeeRon

In Colorado which has had ballots mailed to all registered voters since 2014, the presidential election ballots will be mailed to all registered voters 30 days before the election. Those wanting to mail in their ballots have to mail them before October 26th, 2020.

So there are four ways to vote. Absentee, mail it in before October 26th, drop the ballot off at any 24 hour ballot box starting one week before the election, which are in every community or city, or vote in person on election day. A person who wants to register to vote after the ballots are mailed can do it online before October 19th. Otherwise, they can register to vote in person even on election day if they are a citizen of the US and have a valid ID.

Colorado checks Department of Motor Vehicle rolls for accurate address, Social Security roles for dead voters and has bipartisan signature judges for checking signatures since every ballot has to be signed. If a mail in or dropped off ballot is signature challenged, Colorado sends the voter a letter requesting another signature. Colorado's entire voting system is completely analog as far as verifying and counting votes. Somehow manufacturing ballots in another country and mailing them here to be hand counted is preposterous.

In the 2018 Mid Term election, 60% of registered voters voted which was second highest turnout rate in the country. According to the Secretary of State, .0027% of 2.5 million votes were challenged.

There were 574 2018 Mid Term election votes left in an outdoor drop off ballot box in Grand Junction, CO which were never picked up, discovered or counted until they were found in March of 2019 during a primary election. They would not have changed the results of the Mid Term statewide elections. Other than that, the voting options here in Colorado have been no problem and are very popular even with most Republicans!!!

Jeff
My wife and I have been doing the "drop off" voting for many years now. Never been a problem. We drop off our ballots at a secure location adjacent to the County Registar of Voters. If you mail in, just be sure to do it early! The claims of voter fraud are overblown, IMHO. That said, mistakes are made, but that can also happen when voting in person at a precinct location.

jmaclen

My wife and I have been doing the "drop off" voting for many years now. Never been a problem. We drop off our ballots at a secure location adjacent to the County Registar of Voters. If you mail in, just be sure to do it early! The claims of voter fraud are overblown, IMHO. That said, mistakes are made, but that can also happen when voting in person at a precinct location.
I like walking over to my local recreation department center and dropping mine off in the drop box too. No parking issues, no standing in line for over an hour with sick people (even when we don't have a pandemic), there is an election worker and a security guard/local sheriff present AND I still get my "I Voted" sticker. Plus, if the weather isn't too bad I take one of my detectors in my backpack and hit the rec. center park afterwards.

All of this major league doom and gloom paranoia over receiving a ballot in the mail.............. There are plenty of other REAL problems to worry about.

Chill out folks,

Jeff

Last edited:

midalake

TROLL
I like walking over to my local recreation department center and dropping mine off in the drop box too. No parking issues, no standing in line for over an hour with sick people (even when we don't have a pandemic), there is an election worker and a security guard/local sheriff present AND I still get my "I Voted" sticker. Plus, if the weather isn't too bad I take one of my detectors in my backpack and hit the rec. center park afterwards.

All of this major league doom and gloom paranoia over receiving a ballot in the mail.............. There are plenty of other REAL problems to worry about.

Chill out folks,

Jeff
OUR PRESIDENT is hard at work this morning!!!!
Trump threatens lawsuit to block mail-in voting in Nevada
"
President Donald Trump threatened legal action Monday after Nevada’s Legislature passed a bill to mail ballots to all active voters, suggesting the measure would make it impossible for Republicans to win there in November’s general election"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-threatens-lawsuit-block-mail-124308356.html

Greg(E.Tn)

Chill out folks,

Jeff
So, Jeff.

I take it you are saying if you lived in this state, you would STILL be ok with mail in voting?

" The Chaos in New York Is a Warning "

" The first large-scale test of mail-in voting in the pandemic has left one in five New Yorkers with their votes tossed out. "

jmaclen

So, Jeff.

I take it you are saying if you lived in this state, you would STILL be ok with mail in voting?

" The Chaos in New York Is a Warning "

" The first large-scale test of mail-in voting in the pandemic has left one in five New Yorkers with their votes tossed out. "
I have lived and voted in person in Manhattan, Rockland County and Columbia County New York back in the 1980s to early 1990s. Voting in Rockland and Columbia counties was no problem except for standing in line in bad weather. Voting in New York City was and sounds like it still is, a nightmare.

My understanding of the story you are referring to is that the majority of the problems in New York State happened with Absentee ballots mailed in from parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. Many were postmarked too late, which is dumb because since Governor Cuomo/Secretary of State-New York allowed mailing in ballots up until the polls closed (which he did, unlike Colorado where ballots have to be mailed in one week before) he could now validate these "late ballots" with an executive order if he chose too. Also many ballots were not properly signed or dated according to bipartisan election officials.

Mailing in Absentee ballots is always a risk unfortunately, especially if you are out of state, out of the country or at an FOB. Our president and the news media keep using the phrase "Mail in ballots". For most states that have successfully dealt with alternative forms of voting, the actual mailing in of ballots is not the preferred way of voting for most people. They do like RECEIVING their ballot in the mail, having a chance to review their states official candidate list and the political position of those candidates which in Colorado is included in a printed out booklet from the Secretary of State and mailed to each voter, and each voter can fill out their ballot at home.

Jeff

Last edited: