Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 10x14 Excelerator Coil

Alan Applegate

I thought I'd pass on my experience with the 10x14 Excelerator coil for the Ace, which I bought from Kellyco.

I did the usual reset to factory specs, and did an indoors air test (I had to turn down the sensitivity of course). It wasn't a bit better than the standard 6x9 that came with the Ace 250, and it acted funny to me. When moving coins front to back, it appeared to detect a little further away than it did side to side. A fact not noticed with either stock coil.

When I took it out to my salted coin garden (better known as my back yard), I had to set the sensitivity down to 1 or 2 bars, or it sounded like a banshee! There are no overhead wires, or nearby electrical anything that would cause it to act like it did. By this time, I was convinced it was a POS! Not one to give up, I took it out Saturday, and it seems a little better in the parks than it did at home. I did notice that overhead line interference is worse, which is to be expected. Under most conditions (at least around here in Roswell, NM), the sensitivity can be set at the stock setting (two bars from full-on). You just can't do that when I'm in my own yard.

It does detect deeper than the stock 9x12, but nothing to write home about. If it has an attribute worth speaking about, it its ability to work in mineralized soil where the stock coil all but dies. I suspect that's enough justification to pay the tariff (over half the price of the detector itself), and to swing the extra weight. Pinpointed is more difficult, but I suspect that will get easy as I used to the way it works.

In any case, it almost paid for itself today, as I ran onto a small cache of real coins; four quarters, three dimes, two nickels, and 8 pennies (three of the pennies were post 1983). It appeared as if they were all contained in a small leather pouch of some kind, but all that was left were a few shreds. Not bad for just three hours out in the parks.

Alan Applegate

Hope your success with the new coil improves. Wonder if the coil should be tuned to the detector or is it just the difference in soil and areas you hunted that caused the problems. Is it that much better than the factory 9x12 to justify the cost? Good luck.

Bill

Alright!:clapping:Congrats on the little "cache":cheers: That's pretty cool!:biggrin: Hey, I'm glad to see that you're enjoying that 10"x14" Excellerator on your Ace! I love mine. I bought one several months ago for my wife's Ace 250. She didn't really like the weight of it. I really liked it and wound up getting an Ace for myself. I recently gave my Ace to one of my nephews, which is a good thing, he seems to be interested in detecting. I kept the Excellerator coil. I discovered that the connection on the plug is the same as my old GTAx 1250. I put it on it and it seems to work great!:detecting: 1250 is 7.2 kHz and Ace is 6.5. No problems yet. I've always preferred double "D" search coils because they get more ground coverage at depth(like a knife edge from toe to heel) as opposed to the conical tapered coverage of a concentric search coil. Best of luck to ya!:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Alan Applegate said:
Well, the truth is, you don't see many space aliens, since the locals found out they taste just like chicken!

Alan Applegate

Hilarious!:rofl:

I wish someone would come out with a smaller DD coil for the 250. They don't all have to be the size of hubcaps.

Bill

Alan if that coil the same DD design which metalhead has then it should not be nearly as deep out at the sides. This, I would think, will be more pronounced in the dirt, and is due to the design of the coil itself.

Jeff

Thanks 4 the report. I've been thinking about buying one, but I can buy the 9x12 and sniper for the price of the DD. I hunt South Jersey beaches, has anyone used this coil on wet salt sand?