Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone having luck with the 17" coil?

JoeinMemphis

Mine came in Monday and of course I had to take it out to the back yard and give it a try in my coin garden. The garden is at least 5 years old, with P, N, D, & Q's buried in 2" increments from 2" to 12". I was able to pick up NADA!!! I am using the GH program, with sensitivity set to A, I ground balanced and noise cancelled and I couldn't find the first coin, all I was getting was a cursor bouncing frantically all over the place in Auto (no + or -). I brought it in the house and set it to Manual 10 and it settled down so I could pick up coins waived in front of it out to about 6" with correct ID. In all fairness NONE of the machines I own including the CTX with factory coil, SE Pro, Excal II 10", or ACE 250 will pick anything up deeper than 6" out there due to EMI. I am the bottom house in a cove, and our power is run underground. I think they tied the transformer in my front yard to one on the cove behind me through my back yard. (Does this mean I have to call before I dig... a quarter??) I don't think anything is wrong with it since it was working and ID'ing inside with the sensitivity way down, I just think that big "radar antenna" is picking up all the interference around it. I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar, and how you overcame it. I am going to try and get out this weekend with it to some clean ground that should be EMI free and see what it will do. It looks like it is going to be a coil to be run in Manual with low sensitivity, I will try in Auto, if that doesn't work I will go to Manual and start low and increase it till it starts chattering, then back it down a smidge..
HH
Joe

The bigger the coil the more susceptible it will be to EMI. I'm sure you'll get a better feel for how the coil performs when you get it out away from the interference.

I have used my 17" coil one time, about 3 weeks ago, but in an area where there was no longer any active power lines. The lot had been brush hogged off, but with the stubble so high, I used the 17" hoping for more depth than the smaller coils. I did manage a couple of nickels, a few clads, and what I thought was a silver half---until I picked it up...It turned out to be a half dollar size aluminum token from the 1904 St. Louis Worlds fair. I was using High Trash with Auto+3. All of the targets sounded off very nice, so I was pleased with the performance, considering the coil was probably 3-5" above the ground due to the stubble. I got this coil for field hunting, so have high hopes for when the crops are out......HH

I have used mine once. I am still formulating my opinion. Will try to have review by weekend sometime...

Got one have not used it will be taking it to the beach real soon to give it a go. Did you try the noise cancel out there may help some.
Will give a report on how things go with mine in the not to far off future. Hope to have some more gold to show.

Jason

That is still a great find, I am glad it ran stable for you. I got mine for fields and an open yard area at an 1849 house. I am just not finding much there and wanted to see if anything was deeper. I am interested in searching an old roadbed that runs through the front yard.

Cool, I should have something to say about mine this weekend also, good luck with yours!

Yes, noise cancelled and ground balanced. GOOD LUCK with the gold!

I have used it on a several short hunts as it is so hot and dry here in SW MO . I am finding it to be extremely deep on coins and coin size targets.Deepest coins so far were a Barber dime on edge at a tape measured 9-1/2" that hit solid and locked on at 12-42.Several Wheaties at up to a tape measured 11" with one at 9-1/2" on edge. The big coil hits targets on edge very well as would be expected.

I have only used it at some very hammered public sites so far with soils giving a suggested sensitivity of 10 -19

Been running ground coin with manual ground balance at said sites.

It has been very little noisier than the stock coil as I have been able to run it effectively at manual 26 most places and still maintain my sanity.

I am finding it to have a very tight field down the center hitting hard from front to back edge and very easy to pinpoint with considering large size.

Not bad at all to swing with the lower rod shortened up a couple of inches at only 8 ounces heavier than the stock coil.

I have nicknamed it my "Street Sweeper" coil as it covers a wide swath and mows down everything in its path lol.

Can not wait till we get some moist soil to detect as it should gain even more depth !

Thank you for the report, it must be EMI that is killing mine at home. I should be able to try mine out in the field Saturday, thanks for the ground coin tip, I will add a program tonight to experiment with.
HH
Joe

I love this coil! I am currently in Holland and have used this coil on a soccer field, a beach, and a farm field, with absolutely no problems at all. I run it in Manual sens. And run it up to between 20 and 25, depending on the chatter. The depth is really good. some of the stuff I dug up at the beach must have been in the 10 inch depth at least. I love the coverage it gives, and in a large area it allows me to sweep a large area in a lot less time. weight is not that much more than the standard coil, so the coverage makes up for the slight increase in weight.