Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Changing coils on a 250

Alan Applegate

There has been several posts of recent, about the various quirks folks have noticed about their Garrett ACE detectors, primarily the 250. I'll pass this on as an observation, with the hope it might help someone else.

The instruction manual only briefly mentions about resetting the detector to initial factory settings by holding down the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. That's great, but when should you do so? I did when I first got mine, as part of the learning cycle. I didn't even think about doing so when I replace the 6x9 coil with the 9x12, until a strange occurrence happened. I was in the process of pinpointing a target, and apparently hit both the power and pinpoint button at the same time (I had gloves on). The pinpointer stopped working, the off button wouldn't work, nor any of the other controls. Call it a computer freeze if you like. I had to remove a battery to shut it off. As a manner of course, on power up, I held down the power button until I heard the beep. It appeared to work as it should. However...

I like the lager coil, as it does go about an inch or two deeper depending on the target material. It is also more susceptible to mineralization than the small coil, which requires that the sensitivity be turned down a notch or two. After I did a full reset, the detector acted like a different machine. Even set at full sensitivity, I had less false signals than I had before with the sensitivity set lower.

After I got back home I did switch back and forth between the two coils a few times, to see if I could duplicate the effects. I managed to lock the machine up a few times, but you have to hit the power and pinpoint in just the right sequence. Of more importance, it does appear, in my experience at least, that resetting the detector when changing coils does make a difference in its operation, especially with respect to mineralization response.

I haven't talked with anyone at Garrett about this (perhaps I should), but I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had the same experience. In any case, it is food for thought, and it sure can't hurt anything resetting the box!

Alan Applegate

Interesting. I believe that I had the same accidental experience. I wasn't cognizant enough however to see a correlation and I just pulled/repacked the batteries. This is an eye opener.

have never seen it freeze but have noticed that when changing the coils things do happen and reset does fix them,It also works on my 1350 when I change to the sniper coil , I had found that the pinpoint would not hardly show any depth until I reset the box then it worked just fine.. it is good to see that I am not the only one who had this problem, I suppose it is the same on all the other computer detecters as well.

cheers Roger

Hi guys, another rookie here. I try to get on the forum when I'm not shoveling South Jersey snow, Had a problem with my 250 after using it about a month or so. Every time the coil barely touched anything I got a tone, Friend thought it was a coil problem. Called Garrett and they were leaning to coil but suggested holding power button until the 250 beeped twice. It was like a new machine. I had tried removing batteries but Garrett said to reset microprocessor hold the power button.