Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins to battery ratio

Alan Applegate

Recently, a post compared the ratio of clad to silver finds. While certainly not definitive, it was interesting because most folks had about the same ratio. Well, here's another one to comment on, just because we're all curious. If we weren't, we probably wouldn't be detectorists.

I just recently replaced the batteries in my Ace 250. At that point, I had used up three sets, and collected a total of 492 coins of various kinds. That a ratio 164:1 (coins per battery set).

Alan

Im fortunate that I get most of my batteries for free. But it is something to ponder...

I tracked this stat once before. I get about 14 hours on one recharge of my batteries. They used to go 17-20 but they are nearing the end of their life. Last go around I found 497 coins and I hunted for 13.5 hours. That is a pretty typical set of hunts for me but my numbers might not be typical at this stage in my career. When I started detecting, my numbers were a lot closer to yours. In my first three sets of batteries with my Ace I found just over 750 coins. I had detected previously with a Bounty Hunter machine but I was still a novice. Right after my third set of batteries that my totals got much better when I started expanding my site selection.

There are a lot of factors that go into this stat. Site selection. How heavily hunted the sites are. Level of experience. What you're hunting for. If I'm going mainly for silver coins my totals might be only a 100-200 coins on a set of batteries.

Good for you keeping stats. They are something I enjoy tracking and discussing. Gotta do something when the snow flies.

Chris

Never knew people tracked such things. I don't even count my coins.
I must really be in the minority here. Now free batteries...that's
something I could get into. HH...Gene

For batteries, I've been using the same ones since I started 8 yrs ago. I got 8 radioshack non-memory rechargable batteries. They cost around 35 dollars but i've gotten 8 yrs from them using them for the metal detector and for my xbox 360's wireless controllers. And they are still going strong. So that was a good investment. Now my coin to batt ratio isn't that high because I hunt random spots like my back yard. I used 2 batteries and only found 5 coins but if I would go to a park or something like that I'd definitely find a lot more. I used to use a White's Classic Id and just in the past few months got a White's XLT. Now my old coin to clad ratio was high since it was an old place. 3 old coins and 2 new. So it all depends where you go of course.

Gene said:
Lots of people are cavalier about it, Gene. I only count coins at the end of the year, when I clean and roll them for my annual Big Cash In. Others know, to the coin, how many they have amassed - different strokes, and all that!

I have never even thought to compare battery life to coins found. Since I use 3-4 different detectors, I doubt I would try and keep up with them for long anyway. But it is intriguing...

As for the batteries, I work in an industrial pharmaceutical facility. Even in this modern age, you would be surprised how many uses there are for AA and 9V batteries. They buy them by the gross here, and if a few go wandering, no one really cares. Call it a fringe benefit. :bouncy:[

Gene said:

I don't think that you're in the minority here, Gene. I don't really keep track of the number of coins and such that I find. My mind isn't wired that way. To each his own, though. A lot of guys do and that's cool.:)Now, on the issue of batteries, I've almost always used rechargeables because it's cheaper in the long run.:biggrin:Happy Hunting:)

I use rechargeables and carry alkalines for spares. I get alkalines at Costco for about ten bucks for 48 and they last forever as spares and backups.

Bill

I haven't even counted the coins I dug last season David and I may
actually get out this weekend to start this season. Of course coins
aren't my main target so that may have something to do with it.
Yeah, we are all different. No doubt about that. Having fun out there
is one thing I believe we all have in common though. HH Gene

Met a guy detecting once that came right up to me and told me how many coins
he found while detecting. Across the street was a school and football field that
was locked down during renovation. When I asked him about that field he told me
he had looked and there was just a lot of junk out there. After the renovation was
complete I decide to detect that field myself. Found 2 gold rings in the first 3 hours
and gold every 3-6 hours thereafter. There was a lot of junk though just like he said.
Never saw this guy again and I have been back to this field often. When I go there
I tell my wife I am going to the gold field. She knows where I am talking about and I
am not kidding. To each his own...just like you said,
Good hunting to you ! Gene