Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Copper plating thickness on newer pennies

Alan Applegate

Perhaps it is my imagination, but it seems like the copper plating on pennies minted after about 2007 is much thinner than the previous ones. I've come to this conclusion for two reasons, neither of which I've seen in print.

In the last few weeks, I've found 2010 pennies under the wood chips in the local tot lots. They look like they have been buries for several years. Yet, pennies dated 2004 or so, taken out of the same lot are in fair enough shape to used.

Then just yesterday, I got one of the new 2010 pennies in change, and part of the plating was already worn off. It makes one think the 575 in Washington have found yet another avenue to save expenses.

Alan Applegate

Washington, DC. A place where quality is no longer a concept, much less a reality. It's only a matter of time before they start making our coins and paper money in china. I wonder if they put that drywall from china in the house and senate and white house? The fumes must really be getting to those folks brains. Where the absurb and fantasy are considered normal and reality. Heaven helps us all.

ice noticed the same effect on wood chips on pennies
The newer ones Do seem to be thinner

Ron

Rangers Lead The Way