Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Drummer, One of My Top 10...Lesson

Greg(E.Tn)

So. I take it you are a drummer?

Can you read drum music?

I was a big fan of Neal Peart.

I also like the duo of Anton Fig and Bogie Bowles backing up Joe Bonamassa on this song:

Steve O

Greg, If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken my drum lessons and studied them till I made my teacher proud. I would have stuck with it to the end. I had a gift, and I let it go. I do have a set and occasionally I play, still enjoy them.

I have mentioned this site before...If you want to watch the best of the drummers of the world, including Neil Pert, go here https://www.drummerworld.com/

Last edited:

Greg(E.Tn)

Will do.

I have noticed drummers hold their drumsticks in different ways--some hold both sticks in the palm extending straight out, like you'd hold a screwdriver, and some hold one stick like that in their "strong" hand, and hold one across the palm, under the thumb, palm up, in their weak hand.

Or it is vice versa?

Greg, If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken my drum lessons and studied them till I made my teacher proud. I would have stuck with it to the end. I had a gift, and I let it go. I do have a set and occasionally I play, still enjoy them.

I have mentioned this site before...If you want to watch the best of the drummers of the world, including Neil Pert, go here https://www.drummerworld.com/

Ronstar

Im a bassist as well, I actually was invited to sit down for coffee with Ray Brown one night (we provided security for the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival) Great person and musician. Biggest surprise was Lionel sitting in as well. Memories I will never ever forget. I also got to play a set with drummer Roy Burns as well, learned to communicate with the beat setter real fast......

Steve O

Drummers and Bassists are the beat setters . .. . .they drive the band and set the pace.
Greg, traditional grip like a marching band drummer....and after thousands of hours practicing, believe me, that's not a weak hand/wrist, lol
Matching grip, same hold in each hand and there are variations on that grip also, German, palms down, French, palms facing each other and American, palms at an angle, not facing or down, sort of half way. Back in the 60's the teachers started with traditional grip. Today I believe they leave it up to the student. My guess is, the traditional grip was used because of the position of the drum was slanted when marching. One wrist would have to be at an awkward angle if the grip was matched.
1592392240708.png

hawgdawg

As a former drummer , and probably far less accomplished than you guys . But I helped pull security for The Artimus Pyle Band a few years ago . Artimus was the drummer for Lynyrd Skynyrd in the early years of their band .. I was a big Lynryd Skynyrd fan back in the 70s and 80s . So getting the chance to sit down with him and talk about some of their exploits was amazing,, to me .
Maybe the Guv could get a bunch of you guys together and start the " FindemAll Band " . :ROFLMAO:

Greg(E.Tn)

Hey Steve O.

Ever heard this guy on the drums? :thumbup:

Drummers and Bassists are the beat setters . .. . .they drive the band and set the pace.
Greg, traditional grip like a marching band drummer....and after thousands of hours practicing, believe me, that's not a weak hand/wrist, lol
Matching grip, same hold in each hand and there are variations on that grip also, German, palms down, French, palms facing each other and American, palms at an angle, not facing or down, sort of half way. Back in the 60's the teachers started with traditional grip. Today I believe they leave it up to the student. My guess is, the traditional grip was used because of the position of the drum was slanted when marching. One wrist would have to be at an awkward angle if the grip was matched.
View attachment 4628