Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GQ and nugget hunting

Reg

Hi all GQ owners who may be using the GQ for nugget hunting.

If you are using the GQ, then make sure to use the DD coil. This is by far the best when hunting "bad" ground.

One of the down sides of the GQ is the fact there is no ground balance, but that becomes much less of a problem when a DD coil is used. In fact, in most areas, the ground no longer is a big problem.

However, because there is no ground balance, one can get a fairly strong signal off some basalt rocks that may not occur on a machine with ground balance. This can be frustrating if such rocks are very common.

Ah, not all is lost in such areas. Now, here is a trick that works quite well when using the DD coil to identify those pesky basalt rocks. If you get a smooth signal and can't tell if the signal is a deep target or a basalt rock, then try this technique.

Simply bob (move) the coil up and down over the ground at the suspected location. Try to lower the coil as close as possible to the ground as part of the swing. Now, if the signal is coming from a basalt rock, the signal will not get much louder if any as the coil is lowered. In some, if not most cases, the signal may actually reduce in intensity as the coil gets closer to the ground.

If the target is metal, the signal will get louder as the coil gets closer to the soil. In most cases, the increase in signal is distinct.

With a little practice, one can eliminate many strange rock generated signals this way. It also works quite well for checking certain ground noises.

BTW, this technique will work on the GS 5 also, when using a DD coil. So, in many areas, one can operate with no ground balance providing a DD coil is used and then use the above mentioned technique to eliminate most of the false signals caused by rocks.

Why hunt with no Ground balance when it is available? Well, the answer is simple, sensitivity. If the machine is quiet when using a DD coil, then turning of the GB will increase the sensitivity, especially to certain size gold.

Reg

Hi Reg! Thank you for the advice on the GQ. I have never owned a PI instrument before but have been looking at the GQ for nugget hunting also. I can't justify thousands of dollars for a PI but the GQ is a little easier on the pocketbook and the biggest appeal is the fact that Eric is not trying to hide anything by painting the PCB and I like the clear case. Also he is very willing to explain the workings of his instruments. His knowledge as well as yours Reg is much appreciated. Erics instruments look to be easy to use and handle unlike the big competition. I'm not a professional prospector either. Thanks again for the advice Reg and take care. Wirechief.

Hi Wirechief,

Glad you like the little tricks. Yes, the GQ does fit the bill for those who might not want to spend a whole lot of cash, want a light weight machine, and yet have a PI for nugget hunting.

Now, as I have mentioned before, the GQ certainly isn't the perfect nugget hunting machine. The lack of a ground balance can make things more difficult, especially if a mono coil is used.

Ok, now here is another little trick I posted on one of the prospecting forums this along the lines of the basalt trick.

A GQ equipped with a DD coil just may make it easier to ID some iron objects, especially if they are close to the coil. So, some of the shallow iron objects will follow this information.

By nature of the DD coil and how it works, gold will generate multiple signals as it passes directly under the coil. When close, the signals will be, a positive response when under the outer edge, a negative response when under either side winding, and a strong positive response when under the center overlap zone. When the gold object is deeper, one normally does not hear anything but the louder positive signal when the object passes under the center overlap area.

Ok, here is something interesting, iron objects close to the coil will generate signals that are opposite to those made by gold objects. So, when an iron object is close to the surface, then the signal from an iron object can become a double blip where the iron object generates a positive signal under either side winding and a negative or no signal when under the center of the coil.

Now, raise the coil and the center negative blip disappears and the signal now becomes a much wider iron signal. So, iron objects generally will produce a wider signal than the more narrow response of a gold object.

Now, if the iron object is close to the surface and you happen to have the coil elevated, you might just get a wide positive response. Now, if you lower the coil when the object is centered and the signal starts to null, then it is most likely an iron object.

One has to practice this little trick to fully understand just how it works.

Reg

Thanks again Reg, So you can actually do some assemblence of iron discriminating with your DD on a PI instrument or maybe better called ID'ing iron. Now only if I can come up with a GQ someday. What would a silver dollar sound like? Is the field above the coil the same strength as below it?

Hi Wirechief,

A silver dollar should sound like any other non ferrous object. Now, my GQ clone is limited so I can't tell you exactly what to expect, but what I do hear using a mono coil is a signal much like that of a nickel but a little larger and stronger.

Mr. Bill could probably give a more accurate indication than I can.

Reg

Reg and Eric, a question about iron. Since the PI is changing the iron to a magnitized state and iron wants to be in that state. Shouldn't the iron become more of a signal(because of this magnetization) and so be easier to isolate from non ferrous metals. Or does the magnetic property of iron not influence PI the signal.
Thanks Wyndham