Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How will your life change?

bulletman

Two short months ago, hardly anyone had heard of the Corona virus. It now consumes our every aspect of life, unfortunately. Our freedoms have hopefully been temporarily suspended. I say "temporarily" with hopes that things go back to status quo. Some, were boy scout prepared for such a scenario. Others were not, and who would have suspected that our lives would be so rudely interrupted by a pandemic? My wife and I were prepared to a certain degree, though our greatest fears were the potential of nuclear war or an EMP weapon destroying our electrical grid. It's amazing to think that something so small as a virus can cause so much death and the destruction of our economic system.

So, I was thinking about all the changes that people will implement after this crisis is eliminated? For me, I will appreciate and attempt to protect our constitutional freedoms with much more vigor. I will give thanks for our health and the financial wealth that we have accumulated for retirement. Friends and family will come first over "things", and will attempt to live a simpler more uncluttered lifestyle. Goodness, it's amazing the amount of stuff a married couple accumulates thru 40 years of marriage. God's beautiful outdoors will be much more appreciated as we don't need shopping malls and stores for entertainment. With all of the non essential businesses closing, many will realize that they can live with less. We can do without movie theaters, football, theme parks, and the many other interferences within life. Heck, we can live without Netflix, but don't tell my wife that I said that!

So, how can we better ourselves after surviving throughout this crisis? What beneficial changes will you make?

Bulletman

Shalom

Micheal_R

Staff member
The only significant change I can see in my life is that I will try to downsize a little.. I had a sale on the farm.. nice folks who

were interested in getting back to the land as it were.. Unfortunately, that sale was kiboshed [due in no small part to Corona].. so

we will soldier on out here in the boondocks; But I will try to eliminate some of the carp that I collected over the years.. If I have not used/needed something in ten years, chances

are I will not need it at all.... I have an extensive library.. most on the history of parts of B.C. I will rid myself of those, keeping only the ones

I use regularly; My military history book will all be kept.. The shop has duplicates and in some cases triplicates of 'things'..I will go through and

make room.

At the moment, I am repairing cattle feeders for the neighbours...

But in general; life will go on pretty much the same.. we ill continue to be 'preppers'.. although I cannot relate to that term since I have been doing preserving all my life.

I think many will take the time to re-evaluate their lives and make changes; some large; some small..

Fair winds

Micheal

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
Michael. Didn't know your sale fell through. Hope you land wherever it works out for you.

We're here in the suburbs with several places to run to if we have to. I am a repairman by trade so not short on anyone wanting to get me involved in their prep site. I reload, fix all kinds of electrical devices, rudimentary on electronics and have freezers that are full with two back up generators so I'll be improving anything that falls through the cracks. Finding out having more than 2 rental properties might become a problem so I'll stay away from them. One house is already empty and won't rent again till this is over. Have to make the payments yet for another 5 years. Other rental is a prepper kind of guy and he paid early this month. Once I find out what the banks are willing to do while we're not bringing in money I'll know for sure what I can and cannot depend on. We can liquidate our properties I would think and tread water long enough to survive. I am old enough to draw full social security and my rental scheme looks a little shaky but once everything is paid off we should be fine. If my health stays good I'm a contractor and can fix things. I should be fine on making money to supplement my income for quite some time. Have a hybrid to get around probably for months with the gas that's sitting right now in my SUV's. lol

Hoping this site stays active and I can continue to network with the friends I've made...

Guvner..

Ted S

Good luck to all of us! As I had mentioned earlier,I have canceled all medical appointments. I almost pulled the trigger on a basement for a new house at the family farm for me and my wife to retire to. But she lost her job and we may lose the health insurance. And like anyone else our age we have accumulated a rather large stash of trinkets. Probably should sell a bunch of stuff but we can hold out for awhile.

Dancer

Like Bulletman started. This Country and the world is in for a big change in the daily functions we normally kept. Millions of hard workers make their living or part time money tending to large events. And also those who keep mass transit operating. These might be slow coming back. I think the handshake is probably finished for the most part. Couple of things that might be coming down the road. Won't be over night. One already started few years ago is the swing away from big Malls to on line shopping. I think shopping , eating "down town" family owned. Same as hardware, groceries, bars, etc. Will increase some. Might be nice but we'll see. Cremations were over taking big funerals for yrs. I believe it's really going to take off now. In the end, many has got to learn how to dance! (Adapt) We're already seeing it in this fight we have.

jim tn

If I COULD change one thing, it would be to go back to what things were like in 2019. I'm typically not a doom and gloom kind of guy, but in accessing the consequences (and all aren't in yet) of this virus, nothing going forward will ever be the same as it once was. A lot of "nest eggs" are going to be lost or shrunk. Many businesses, even with financial help, will fail. A staggering Govt debt will even be larger. Shopping patterns, store checkouts, costs of goods, the way we look at crowds, just to name a few, almost all aspects of our lives will be changed. And many, not for the good.

Oh, I strongly believe this great country of ours will come through this pandemic. Its just simply who we are. I do wish, though, we could all be more united during these more trying times. But, that, too, is who we are......and, that isn't necessarily all bad, either. HH jim tn

Steve(Can)

My father never drank or smoked a day in his life and died of a heart attack at 47. I was 21 at the time and had no idea how young 47 was. His father was a drunkard and a carouser his entire life and died of a heart attack at 53. After my father died, I didn't figure I had much time in this world, and lived my life with that always in the back of my mind. Ten years ago at the age of 50, I was up all night scrambling to get a job to the press and in the morning did not feel very well. It was a heart attack but with the advances of medicine in the last 30 years, I walked away from it. I was lucky, afterwards I was able to do most everything I could before, work, carry a canoe on my shoulders and such, and with a daily cocktail of a half a dozen meds and regular check ins with the doc, continue with a clean bill of health. But I walked aways with something else... a sense that I died that day, that I was a dead guy walking, and every day I opened my eyes was a special gift. Though I always kinda thought that way since I buried my father, this episode brought that home in every way.

I weaned off my regular clients and contracts and gave up the commercial art entirely turning to painting exclusively. From early on, guys like Norman Rockwell and John Singer Sargent were my heros, and all I ever wanted to do was paint, but until that time, I was doing everything else but painting. If not now, when? I asked myself and the last 10 years have been a new voyage of discovery. My only regret is that I did not do this at the first calling at the age of 21, but what can I say... way leads to way.

We are all standing at one of those moments in time when everything changes... a Pearl Harbour, a 9-11 moment. We are now standing again in disbelief... in shock ...and in horror as the towers come crashing down. And now our world, the world we knew, is about to changed in every way, and in ways that at this point no one can see. Like Pearl Harbour, like 9-11, this is a new chapter and the world we knew is gone forever. It's just the way it is and we will go on and better days will come again, and good can come of it as we pull together to forge stronger bonds of family and friendship, community and nationhood.

When the evil of WWII was beaten, we entered into a brilliant new era of building and growth and innovation that changed the world in every way... some for the good, some for the bad, some for the much better. For the most part, we have been coasting on those achievements ever since. Like it or not, the world we knew is fading fast and what we make of the new one is entirely up to us. Maybe the biggest thing to change through all of this will be our attitude toward life. A wake up call to remind of us of all the things that are truly important and valuable to us and what things are not. Maybe when it is all said and done, our attitude is the only thing that we ever have any control over anyway.

Last edited:

Confetrit

I wonder when this virus passes and (it eventually will), how big crowd events will be handled. Sports games, football stadiums and baseball stadiums filled to maximum capacity. Concerts with very large crowds. Once this is over I believe Dr.'s will still be learning for some time after about this virus and how this could be transmitted and the incubation period and so on. I believe this will in some ways change the way in which we take part in crowds.

bulletman

I wonder when this virus passes and (it eventually will), how big crowd events will be handled. Sports games, football stadiums and baseball stadiums filled to maximum capacity. Concerts with very large crowds. Once this is over I believe Dr.'s will still be learning for some time after about this virus and how this could be transmitted and the incubation period and so on. I believe this will in some ways change the way in which we take part in crowds.
I wonder if some company like Garrett Metal Detectors will develop a walk thru security device that will sense and register the temperature of those walking through? An individual with a high temperature certainly doesn't need to be boarding a plane, or attending a rock concert, or going to Mardi Gras. But, does this violate a persons rights? We have already given up a lot of privacy rights, thanks to 9.11. Go thru a TSA checkpoint at an airport, and you'll understand. Will we have to pass thru multiple scanners to simply enter our grocery stores in the very near future?

Micheal_R

Staff member
I wonder if some company like Garrett Metal Detectors will develop a walk thru security device that will sense and register the temperature of those walking through? An individual with a high temperature certainly doesn't need to be boarding a plane, or attending a rock concert, or going to Mardi Gras. But, does this violate a persons rights? We have already given up a lot of privacy rights, thanks to 9.11. Go thru a TSA checkpoint at an airport, and you'll understand. Will we have to pass thru multiple scanners to simply enter our grocery stores in the very near future?
In theory it is not a bad idea Bullet.. my problem with it is that my temperature , for some reason, is always on the low side.

I run at 35.8 degrees Celsius ...96.4 Fahrenheit).. so If i run a temperature, my fever starts at 98.6 F [37 C]..

Sunny skies

Micheal

Steve(Can)

Problem with that, Bulletman, is it is contagious before symptoms like a cough and fever are evident. Heard a thing on the radio that dogs have been trained to early detect cancer and other conditions and some breaking research is finding they can smell out this C-bug as well.

Steve(Can)

In theory it is not a bad idea Bullet.. my problem with it is that my temperature , for some reason, is always on the low side.

I run at 35.8 degrees Celsius ...96.4 Fahrenheit).. so If i run a temperature, my fever starts at 98.6 F [37 C]..

Sunny skies

Micheal
No coolant in the oil, eh Mike? Low on antifreeze? Thermostat sticking? Blower fan? When's the last time you did a rad flush? When in doubt, they have a whole aisle of gunk at Canadian Tire you can pour into your tank, your rad and oil... best of them all, Seafoam. I find a little snort of that every spring and every fall keeps everything firing up first pull.... :coffee: :poop:

Micheal_R

Staff member
No coolant in the oil, eh Mike? Low on antifreeze? Thermostat sticking? Blower fan? When's the last time you did a rad flush? When in doubt, they have a whole aisle of gunk at Canadian Tire you can pour into your tank, your rad and oil... best of them all, Seafoam. I find a little snort of that every spring and every fall keeps everything firing up first pull.... :coffee: :poop:
It probably explains why I am always cold though Steve.. :) I keep the house very hot.. then Alice complains about the heat.

The one good thing is that she tends to remove clothing when i keep the house hot:LOL::LOL: Probably my evil plan!!

fair winds

Micheal

Steve(Can)

It probably explains why I am always cold though Steve.. :) I keep the house very hot.. then Alice complains about the heat.

The one good thing is that she tends to remove clothing when i keep the house hot:LOL::LOL: Probably my evil plan!!

fair winds

Micheal
Mike, sounds like you got everything tuned up and purring just fine. :ROFLMAO:

Greg(E.Tn)

Bulletman, you ask how will MY life change?

Well, the main change will be more prepared where caring for my mom (89 years of age) is concerned, against another outbreak of the like. I'll take a look at how people reacted with the C-Virus, what they hoarded, and make sure my mom has enough of that stuff to last her, say at least six months. She has a freezer, so stockpiling food is not an issue--another biggie would be electricity and water, so I will start working to deal with that one as well.

For myself, pretty much the same. My main responsibility (on this earth) is to my mother. As far as I am concerned, I am her servant.

I think we all will be paying a lot more attention to things like handshaking, handwashing, and avoiding the company of sick people. Wouldn't surprise me if handshaking, for the most part, becomes a thing of the past. Also wouldn't be surprised if the number of flu cases diminishes as well.

Lastly, I will remember and thank all of those people who kept working long hours at the risk of infecting themselves, such as first responders, nurses, grocery store workers, truck drivers, and so on.

We all owe them thanks.

Two short months ago, hardly anyone had heard of the Corona virus. It now consumes our every aspect of life, unfortunately. Our freedoms have hopefully been temporarily suspended. I say "temporarily" with hopes that things go back to status quo. Some, were boy scout prepared for such a scenario. Others were not, and who would have suspected that our lives would be so rudely interrupted by a pandemic? My wife and I were prepared to a certain degree, though our greatest fears were the potential of nuclear war or an EMP weapon destroying our electrical grid. It's amazing to think that something so small as a virus can cause so much death and the destruction of our economic system.

So, I was thinking about all the changes that people will implement after this crisis is eliminated? For me, I will appreciate and attempt to protect our constitutional freedoms with much more vigor. I will give thanks for our health and the financial wealth that we have accumulated for retirement. Friends and family will come first over "things", and will attempt to live a simpler more uncluttered lifestyle. Goodness, it's amazing the amount of stuff a married couple accumulates thru 40 years of marriage. God's beautiful outdoors will be much more appreciated as we don't need shopping malls and stores for entertainment. With all of the non essential businesses closing, many will realize that they can live with less. We can do without movie theaters, football, theme parks, and the many other interferences within life. Heck, we can live without Netflix, but don't tell my wife that I said that!

So, how can we better ourselves after surviving throughout this crisis? What beneficial changes will you make?

Bulletman

Shalom

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
I do use SeaFoam for everything from drying the gas to keeping the boat ready to go...

still looking 52

I've learned to just take one day at a time and get the most out of each day, a lot of times we worry about what's down the road and don't enjoy the view we have right now.
Seems like we can almost always find something to worry about if we're not careful so my best advice to myself is enjoy the day and remember how fortunate I am to live here in the United States.

Confetrit

Bulletman, you ask how will MY life change?

Well, the main change will be more prepared where caring for my mom (89 years of age) is concerned, against another outbreak of the like. I'll take a look at how people reacted with the C-Virus, what they hoarded, and make sure my mom has enough of that stuff to last her, say at least six months. She has a freezer, so stockpiling food is not an issue--another biggie would be electricity and water, so I will start working to deal with that one as well.

For myself, pretty much the same. My main responsibility (on this earth) is to my mother. As far as I am concerned, I am her servant.

I think we all will be paying a lot more attention to things like handshaking, handwashing, and avoiding the company of sick people. Wouldn't surprise me if handshaking, for the most part, becomes a thing of the past. Also wouldn't be surprised if the number of flu cases diminishes as well.

Lastly, I will remember and thank all of those people who kept working long hours at the risk of infecting themselves, such as first responders, nurses, grocery store workers, truck drivers, and so on.

We all owe them thanks.
Greg, you are both a Good man and son.

bulletman

I've learned to just take one day at a time and get the most out of each day, a lot of times we worry about what's down the road and don't enjoy the view we have right now.
Seems like we can almost always find something to worry about if we're not careful so my best advice to myself is enjoy the day and remember how fortunate I am to live here in the United States.
Spot on! There is so much beauty out there that most take for granted. We have so much to be thankful for as Americans. Thank God, spring is here which allows us to get outside and work around the house and garden. Also, time to do a little detecting.

Greg(E.Tn)

Thank you sir. It's a privilege.

It's a hard task with what's going on right now. My mom needs prescription, groceries, monthly doctors appointments. The prescriptions are drive-through--she has hand sanitizer in her vehicle and has a mask as well. We both are aware of the threat, and I am caught between the necessity of taking care of her needs, and the possibility of picking up something while I do so, and inadvertently passing the virus on to her.

It's a fine line, like walking a tightrope. Sometimes I think maybe I ought to be wearing a Tyvex coverall, mask, and gloves when I visit. :surrender:

Again, many thanks for your kind words.

Greg, you are both a Good man and son.