Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I don't get it !! (thinking outloud)

ejudasf

Hello everybody.

Yesterday after work, I hunted the local park.

In the past, I have found Mercury dimes and alot of wheat pennies. Some, beyond the 8-inch mark. I have given up on 2 targets that are deeper than 12-inches.

Anyway, I hunted this site yesterday, and since I know there is silver there, I will hunt slow. I don't dig the targets that are loud 149-175 because I believe them to be trash items near the top.

The part I don't get, is that I have hunted this site many times, and I got my first walking liberty half. 1943.

How did I miss this before? It was about 5 inches down. I just don't get it.

The only thing I can think of is that the planets were aligned for me.

I just had to ramble about it.

laterz

edwin j. fowler

Well Ed........

You simply may have missed it before.

The orientation of the coil to the coin and the trash may have caused masking before.

The coin could have been on edge, causing a lower than normal reading from most directions. Would have sounded like trash.

You are watching the meter too much and not listening enough.

You are not doing a "walk around" on every target.

Some or all of the above.

HH

I wish I had a spot that I knew had silver. Ive been looking for half dollars in all the wromg places. Nice find - and good hunting.

I fully agree with Art, very well explained. Im no expert but i figured out that you can go right over the target in one direction with no tone but going over the target from another angle will make a tone.

Keep us posted how you do:detecting:

This has happened to me many times. Could be hitting it from a diff. angle or the ground is more damp or wet that day so if it holds old coins keep going back and hunt it diff. and try a good wet day. When the planets align just for you again make sure you let us know so we can dig some silver too!!:chase:

In the dirt around here, it's best to hunt when the dirt is of uniform moisture.......
Anywhere between saturated to bone dry, just as long as it is uniform. If it is layered......dry underneath, but damp on top from a short rain....it kills the depth. Uniformly damp is better than uniformly dry, but both are better than layered.

HH

I really don't know why, so being wet was just a toss up in the air. All I know is I swear I did this or that area before and out pops something else...whatever it is is great to keep on finding trinkets.

Just want to say hi to a fellow radio op. I hope you are making many good finds my friend. God Bless and 73 de KA5QYR AR.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors:minelab::coiltec::csflag::csflag:

Over the winter, perhaps some trash items shifted a bit in the ground. Or the WL half shifted its position a smidge. In wet ground I feel that coins and trash sink a bit and may rotate also. Just a little bit of movement will unmask a coin.

Or perhaps a trash item finally disintegrated, such as a bottlecap which slowly disintegrate. If they disintegrate to the point that they crack through, now it will be seen as a smaller trash item by the detector, and potentially unmask the coin.